The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by angelike1
I've seen straight girls say they won't date a bi guy but guys are usually fine with dating a bi girl.

But if you're purely discriminating people by who they are attracted to, is it not homophobic?

Nope you are just stating a preference. You are allowed to when it comes to who you choose to sleep with.
no one cares.
Original post by 999tigger
Nope you are just stating a preference. You are allowed to when it comes to who you choose to sleep with.

Sexuality is psychological though.

Let's say I never date black women and one day I meet this white girl. She looks completely white but following a DNA Ancestry test I find out she's 1% black. Would it not then be racist to refuse to date her? Or does that fall under 'preference'?
I wouldn’t mind dating a bi guy but even if i did it wouldn’t be because of homophobia. It’s just a preference.
I've seen straight girls say they won't date a bi guy but guys are usually fine with dating a bi girl.

But if you're purely discriminating people by who they are attracted to, is it not homophobic?

Hard question..

I guess the argument of "It's a preference" can be made but I mean.. It's a little homophobic considering the sole reason you wont date them is because of their sexuality, like there's no other reason for it.

Not dating people based on their race is fine however imo as appearances are taken into account when choosing a partner, you may for example dislike a certain person based on the size of their lips which may just so happen to be linked to their race, this is why I'd say saying you'd not date a certain race isnt racist (however you're kind of just assuming they all have the one feature you dislike). With sexuality there's literally nothing that could turn you off them. (Assuming they don't cheat on you then whats the difference between bi and straight at that point?)

You could argue that stereotypical bi guys talk a certain way or whatever but thats just a stereotype and not a biological fact.

I tried to describe my thought process but yea, thats what I think.
Original post by batter mix
I wouldn’t mind dating a bi guy but even if i did it wouldn’t be because of homophobia. It’s just a preference.

If I refuse to date black people as a preference but refuse to date a white girl because her ancestry includes one black person, is that not racism? I think sexuality is the same concept.
Original post by Anonymous
no one cares.

seems like youre wrong ****.
If I refuse to date black people as a preference but refuse to date a white girl because her ancestry includes one black person, is that not racism? I think sexuality is the same concept.

Idk why you really shoved me in your joint post... I agree it's homophobic.. I just presented both sides of the argument..

As for your statement "Race refers to a person's physical characteristics, such as bone structure and skin, hair, or eye color" = definition of race, if this white girl is still pretty much purely white, as in no black traits in them then it'd not be racist to not go out with them, it'd just be being an idiot as they are still white..

If their dad was black for example and then they had traits/features of that race (visible) then it'd be a preference.

You're talking about DNA, I can say that most people in the world would be a mix of some kind even if it is just 1/1024 % black. Considering we all come from the same ancestors then we will be at least a tiny bit black. If you were really THAT picky about wanting a pure white person then you'll just end up not having kids/a partner.
Well it would probs be biphobic rather than homophobic tbh
just wanted to hear your thoughts

As for your statement "Race refers to a person's physical characteristics, such as bone structure and skin, hair, or eye color" = definition of race, if this white girl is still pretty much purely white, as in no black traits in them then it'd not be racist to not go out with them, it'd just be being an idiot as they are still white..

I guess thats one way to look at it. There have been many definitions of what race is and not everyone agrees it is based on biology or phenotypes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule

I guess my point is it's wrong to refuse to date someone solely based on their identity as opposed to their looks, personality, interests etc.

I guess my point is it's wrong to refuse to date someone solely based on their identity as opposed to their looks, personality, interests etc.

My point too, I agree with this.
You can deny people based on all reasons you want, but when it comes down to cutting people out if they say they'd possibly have sex with the same gender it's just stupid/ignorance/being homophobic.
Theres 0 difference between dating a bi man and a straight man if both are faithful to you and only "do it" with you. You could argue stereotypes/looks/whatever but that links back to your statement where it's denying based on personality/looks/how they act.
Sexuality is psychological though.

So is personality and different personality traits can still be turn ons/off. Not dating someone based on their sexual preference is fine in my books.
Original post by dsmith23
So is personality and different personality traits can still be turn ons/off. Not dating someone based on their sexual preference is fine in my books.

I'm fine with everyone's opinions on this sort of stuff, I understand both sides, thing is you can change your personality you cant change your sexual preference.

A *****y personality pretty much means you're a *****y person which is a perfectly fine to not go on a date with.
A bi person is literally the same as a straight person if you're only having sex with females. Cutting an entire group out of your dating pool for the potential thoughts in their head is just scummy imo, just because they may sometimes think of men doesn't mean they will be thinking of men.
Straight men will think of other girls, bi men will think of other girls nothing is really different if you're going out.

Can you just explain your reasoning as to why you wouldn't want to go out with a bisexual female/male whatever gender you're attracted to. I just want to know some good reason. ._.
I disagree with you that you can't change sexual preferences. I don't mean to say that you can turn someone gay to be straight and vice versa , but that you can probably shift yourself someway along the continuum in either direction with exposure to environmental factors. I'd personally argue that this could be done more easily than it could for very deeply ingrained personality traits.

As a straight male I'd happily date a bi girl (and indeed have done so), therefore I can't comment on the final part of your post.
Original post by dsmith23
I disagree with you that you can't change sexual preferences. I don't mean to say that you can turn someone gay to be straight and vice versa , but that you can probably shift yourself someway along the continuum in either direction with exposure to environmental factors. I'd personally argue that this could be done more easily than it could for very deeply ingrained personality traits.

As a straight male I'd happily date a bi girl (and indeed have done so), therefore I can't comment on the final part of your post.

You might be right but again, I dont see how it is a valid reason for someone not to date a bisexual.
no
It's biphiobic. However, if you refuse to date them because they're a horrible person, that's not biphobic. If you refuse to date them because they're a serial cheater, that's not biphobic. If you''re refusing to date them because you find them unattractive, that's not biphobic. If you're refusing to date them despite them being a nice person who is your type and has no history of cheating because you're worried they'll cheat on you/break your heart just because they're bisexual, then that's biphobia.
(edited 4 years ago)
I was hesitant about talking to a bi guy because it is different, but I went with it anyway. He thought it was fine to make jokes about liking my brother. He’d just talk about men a lot in general & I just felt uncomfortable lmao because a straight guy obviously wouldn’t be attracted to my brother it’s not even something that would come up in a convo. Though, if I had a connection with another bi guy I wouldn’t discriminate. It’s just not something i’m gravitated towards I guess..
You might be right but again, I dont see how it is a valid reason for someone not to date a bisexual.
Reply 19
I mean, it would definitely be biphobic.

The thing is, bisexual people are just people.

If you were a brunette girl, would you feel insecure because your boyfriend had previously dated blondes? Would you feel insecure if you were skinny with small boobs and your boyfriend had previously dated curvy girls with big boobs?

If you would, then that's a you problem - you need to work on your self-esteem and your trust issues.

If you wouldn't, then there's no difference between that and your boyfriend previously having dated men.

Latest

Trending

Trending