The Student Room Group

Any ideas how much a replacement sub frame is?

Basically, went to halfords and were quoted a grand to fix things on a 15 year old corsa that mrclaireestelle bought for 1.5k in september so we certainly don't want to spend that much;
the main issue was that the subframe needs replacing, other little things like tyres and a new battery we know another garage would sort for £200 so it's whether replacing the subframe is worth it to get it through the mot in september as we were just planning to run it into the ground and then get another car on finance when we can afford to in the future.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by claireestelle
Basically, went to halfords and were quoted a grand to fix things on a 15 year old corsa that mrclaireestelle bought for 1.5k in september so we certainly don't want to spend that much;
the main issue was that the subframe needs replacing, other little things like tyres and a new battery we know another garage would sort for £200 so it's whether replacing the subframe is worth it to get it through the mot in september as we were just planning to run it into the ground and then get another car on finance when we can afford to in the future.

When they say needs replacing - did they say why? If it's not seriously weakened, it'll get through the MOT with just an advisory.

Did they break down the cost of repairs? How much were they quoting for the subframe alone?

£200 sounds quite cheap for four new tyres and a battery.
Original post by IWMTom
When they say needs replacing - did they say why? If it's not seriously weakened, it'll get through the MOT with just an advisory.

Did they break down the cost of repairs? How much were they quoting for the subframe alone?

£200 sounds quite cheap for four new tyres and a battery.

There's a hole in it. There's been rain water leaking in the drivers side this week and they recon it could be that. Sorry it's the two tyres on the passengers side that need replacing, ones got a slow puncture and the others not in great condition. They said £350 without labour for the subframe didn't do a proper breakdown for the rest, been told Halfords can be a bit of a rip off.
Reply 3
There's a hole in it. There's been rain water leaking in the drivers side this week and they recon it could be that. Sorry it's the two tyres on the passengers side that need replacing, ones got a slow puncture and the others not in great condition. They said £350 without labour for the subframe didn't do a proper breakdown for the rest, been told Halfords can be a bit of a rip off.

If that was a brand new part from Vauxhall, it'd probably be reasonable. I'd imagine it is.

You have the option of going to an independent (presumably the other garage you've mentioned) who would be prepared to fit a used subframe in reasonable condition which would be a fraction of the price.

I'd have a chat with your other garage and see what they'd quote - if you know them, they'll probably give you every option to reduce the cost such as getting a used subframe from a scrap yard.

I struggle to see how a hole in the subframe would leak water into the cabin, though. Get yourself a second opinion from a garage you trust.
Original post by IWMTom
If that was a brand new part from Vauxhall, it'd probably be reasonable. I'd imagine it is.

You have the option of going to an independent (presumably the other garage you've mentioned) who would be prepared to fit a used subframe in reasonable condition which would be a fraction of the price.

I'd have a chat with your other garage and see what they'd quote - if you know them, they'll probably give you every option to reduce the cost such as getting a used subframe from a scrap yard.

I struggle to see how a hole in the subframe would leak water into the cabin, though. Get yourself a second opinion from a garage you trust.

There's a local garage with good reviews which my husband can take it to on Wednesday for a second opinion. It's his first car so we ve no previous experience to go off.
If second hand parts will do the job so happy to do that, we only want it to last another year or two if we can till we re in a better situation to finance a newer car. Thank you for your advice :smile:
Reply 5
There's a local garage with good reviews which my husband can take it to on Wednesday for a second opinion. It's his first car so we ve no previous experience to go off.
If second hand parts will do the job so happy to do that, we only want it to last another year or two if we can till we re in a better situation to finance a newer car. Thank you for your advice :smile:

A second hand subframe should be less than £100, but there'll still be labour costs involved. I'd hazard a guess your other garage will have a significantly lower hourly rate than Halfrauds, though :smile:
Reply 6
Old Corsas are a dime-a-dozen, here's a second hand sub frame for £50:

Corsa Subframe

New ones look to be around the £200-250 mark so Halfords are charging you up a bit for the part alone. I'd go for a good condition used one in your position though.
Unfortunately this is exactly what wrote off my Corsa D last year, rotted subframe, is it the front/back or both?

As others have said here, my garage said a new Vaux one would be £300 odd, but i'd be likely to find a decent used one for £100...but they basically said the labour would be ruinous (compared to what i'd paid for the car, £1600) due to the amount of things the subframe bolts and connects to. I ended up claiming the money back from the seller and giving the car to the garage for their time.

I think my garage quoted £700 to replace it (I cant rem 100% if that was new or used frame though)

A word of warning, my MOT did not notice the extent of the damage and reported it as 'not significantly weakened'; When you got the wheels off for for a good look it was a different story, big holes in it and you could push screwdrivers and stuff straight through it. Garage made it clear it would just take a bad bump/pothole and the whole frame would give way... (they weren't trying to pitch for work at that point either, they advised me to let it go)

fuxxake.jpg

(That's how bad mine looked)
(edited 4 years ago)
Oh, and i'd check/have the suspension arms checked also...they were corroded almost as bad as my subframe (and it was replacing them which led to them discovering the extent of the subframe damage) Corrosion/Movement in these could be screwing the camber of your wheels up...which would lead to excessive tyre wear.

Send it to the scrap heap tbh, the sub-frame is quite a labour intensive job to do, I don't think it's economically viable for a car of that age.
Plus if it's caused by rust, then it's likely that other parts of the car could be affected
Original post by StriderHort
Unfortunately this is exactly what wrote off my Corsa D last year, rotted subframe, is it the front/back or both?

As others have said here, my garage said a new Vaux one would be £300 odd, but i'd be likely to find a decent used one for £100...but they basically said the labour would be ruinous (compared to what i'd paid for the car, £1600) due to the amount of things the subframe bolts and connects to. I ended up claiming the money back from the seller and giving the car to the garage for their time.

I think my garage quoted £700 to replace it (I cant rem 100% if that was new or used frame though)

A word of warning, my MOT did not notice the extent of the damage and reported it as 'not significantly weakened'; When you got the wheels off for for a good look it was a different story, big holes in it and you could push screwdrivers and stuff straight through it. Garage made it clear it would just take a bad bump/pothole and the whole frame would give way... (they weren't trying to pitch for work at that point either, they advised me to let it go)

fuxxake.jpg

(That's how bad mine looked)

Thank you for your reply. As far as I know it's just the front one. I don't think we have anywhere to stand on with the seller, they sold it with a 3 month warranty and that was that. Halfords were saying maybe just run it till the mot is up but want to have a proper second opinion first, if we can salvage it for a couple of years till getting a car on finance is doable then that ll be enough otherwise we can't really buy another told car again so would be going without anyway.

Original post by LTEcactus
Send it to the scrap heap tbh, the sub-frame is quite a labour intensive job to do, I don't think it's economically viable for a car of that age.
Plus if it's caused by rust, then it's likely that other parts of the car could be affected

I m not sure what the cause was exactly , we can't currently get a new car on finance or really spend 1.5k on another car that this might happen to again ( only got it in September) so if it's not doable for about £600-700 then yes we ll scrap it and do without a car for a while or see if someone wants the engine out of it first (it's only on 36k so might be useful for someone).
Reply 11
Thank you for your reply. As far as I know it's just the front one. I don't think we have anywhere to stand on with the seller, they sold it with a 3 month warranty and that was that. Halfords were saying maybe just run it till the mot is up but want to have a proper second opinion first, if we can salvage it for a couple of years till getting a car on finance is doable then that ll be enough otherwise we can't really buy another told car again so would be going without anyway.

I m not sure what the cause was exactly , we can't currently get a new car on finance or really spend 1.5k on another car that this might happen to again ( only got it in September) so if it's not doable for about £600-700 then yes we ll scrap it and do without a car for a while or see if someone wants the engine out of it first (it's only on 36k so might be useful for someone).

When did you buy it? You do have consumer rights if it wasn't too long ago.
If it's been bought used 6+ Months ago I think that limits your consumer options a lot.

It'll come down to just how bad it's corroded really, if it's still passable I'd likely go with running it into the ground till the MOT and seeing where you are then, I'd be v hesitant to go ahead with a £700+ subframe replacement before the MOT though, it's no guarantee it would pass.
Reply 13
If it's been bought used 6+ Months ago I think that limits your consumer options a lot.

It'll come down to just how bad it's corroded really, if it's still passable I'd likely go with running it into the ground till the MOT and seeing where you are then, I'd be v hesitant to go ahead with a £700+ subframe replacement before the MOT though, it's no guarantee it would pass.

The law states it's up to the consumer to prove the fault existed when the car was sold if it's been more than 6 months - with a rotted subframe, that's not very difficult.

Definitely an avenue to try if it's only been say, a year.
Original post by IWMTom
When did you buy it? You do have consumer rights if it wasn't too long ago.

September 2018 ,it passed the mot the day before we bought it so I dont think we have a leg to stand on with it really.

Halfords said it wouldn't pass. There's actual puddles in the drivers side when it rains to if that isn't the cause of the issue then we need it in the garage before the mot anyway as can't keep doing that.
Reply 15
September 2018 ,it passed the mot the day before we bought it so I dont think we have a leg to stand on with it really.

Halfords said it wouldn't pass. There's actual puddles in the drivers side when it rains to if that isn't the cause of the issue then we need it in the garage before the mot anyway as can't keep doing that.

A subframe doesn't go from healthy to rotted beyond repair in 9 months.

Who MOT'd it? The place you bought it from?

Either they lied on the MOT, or Halfrauds are lying about its condition.

A subframe won't cause a leak inside the cabin; a seal will have gone somewhere.
Original post by IWMTom
A subframe doesn't go from healthy to rotted beyond repair in 9 months.

Who MOT'd it? The place you bought it from?

Either they lied on the MOT, or Halfrauds are lying about its condition.

A subframe won't cause a leak inside the cabin; a seal will have gone somewhere.

Somewhere else mot'd it, will have to see what the second garage say, have seen good reviews so hoping to trust what they say.
Reply 17
Somewhere else mot'd it, will have to see what the second garage say, have seen good reviews so hoping to trust what they say.

Something smells fishy here - do keep us updated, it'll be interesting to see how this pans out.
Original post by IWMTom
Something smells fishy here - do keep us updated, it'll be interesting to see how this pans out.

I shall update you on wednesday after the second garage visit. Actually it did fail the mot then the sellers replaced some sort of spring and then it passed so although i doubt it, i suppose there could be something fishy.
Original post by IWMTom
The law states it's up to the consumer to prove the fault existed when the car was sold if it's been more than 6 months - with a rotted subframe, that's not very difficult.

Definitely an avenue to try if it's only been say, a year.

Fair enough, didn't realize there was anything past 6 months for used stuff. (possible that only applies to the consumer credit act?)

That was basically the same clauses I used though, That the extent of the rotting obv hadn't occurred in the 3 months i owned it and i had the garage back that up in writing. Basically claimed the car was sold unfit for purpose (driving safely)

See i trusted the garage in my case as they have good local rep with people i know. Although they quoted me for repair they advised me not to go ahead with it, so i'm confident they weren't talking it up. Halfords i'd be entirely leery over to make such a call :/

Agree i'm a touch baffled how the subframe leads to cabin water, sounds more likely a seal or blocked door drain, i'd certainly be checking those before considering a new subframe for a car that value, or as OP says, getting a 2nd opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending