as level chemistry question

Watch this thread
shah kaivan
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
which molecule is planer
and how to identify the molecule is planer or not
ChemistryWebsite
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by shah kaivan)
which molecule is planer
and how to identify the molecule is planer or not
You need to use VSEPR theory to determine the shape of a molecule. There are many planar molecules.
pericardium
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
A molecule with 3 bond pairs and 0 lone pairs has equal repulsion by all three bond pairs, causing a trigonal planar shape, with a bond angle of 120 degrees, eg:

A molecule with 4 bond pairs and 2 lone pairs has equal repulsion from the two lone pairs of electrons, causing a square planar shape with a bond angle of90 degrees, eg:
shah kaivan
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
if the molecule is c2cl4
is it planer
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
20.39%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (12)
11.65%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (7)
6.8%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (17)
16.5%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (23)
22.33%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
22.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed