The Student Room Group

Unconditional offer medicine, how should I prepare!

Hi

Due to start soton 5-year med this sept, have completed degree in med phys previously and achieved all the grades/interview, etc

How should I prepare for medical school in these upcoming months? Should I learn anatomy, brush up on my pharmacology? Learn history taking/ basic physiology? If anyone has a list of things I need to learn I would most appreciate it :smile:

P.S. please don't tell me to go travelling or enjoy my life before med school, I've done all of that already

BW
Original post by throwawaymedic
Hi

Due to start soton 5-year med this sept, have completed degree in med phys previously and achieved all the grades/interview, etc

How should I prepare for medical school in these upcoming months? Should I learn anatomy, brush up on my pharmacology? Learn history taking/ basic physiology? If anyone has a list of things I need to learn I would most appreciate it :smile:

P.S. please don't tell me to go travelling or enjoy my life before med school, I've done all of that already

BW

You will learn all of those in med school. Anything you try and learn now you’ll probably forget or end up going into too much detail about the wrong thing.

We say to enjoy your life because med school has a habit of taking over your life and it doesn’t get any better when you qualify. Enjoy the freedom whilst you can

Are you saying you can't enjoy yourself some more?

Anyway, doing absolutely nothing would still be my advice. There's no benefit to learning things haphazardly beforehand, it'll be a waste of your time.
Thank you :smile:
Yap, what you may cover with your self-directed study may not be linked or in sufficient detail/relevance to what you will cover on the course in the immediate. There is certainly no prep required and if there was they would have told you so that no one is at a disadvantage. I suppose if you are really really bored, you could try learning about some common conditions in the knowledge that it will probably not be of significant benefit.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Where are you doing it?
Hi

BW
Just want to get ahead of the race... I've been out of education for 2 years, graduated in 2017

I don't want to get to med school to realise I've completely forgotten all of bio, and regret the 3 months I could've used to study
Just want to get ahead of the race... I've been out of education for 2 years, graduated in 2017

I don't want to get to med school to realise I've completely forgotten all of bio, and regret the 3 months I could've used to study

Original post by Democracy
Are you saying you can't enjoy yourself some more?

Anyway, doing absolutely nothing would still be my advice. There's no benefit to learning things haphazardly beforehand, it'll be a waste of your time.
Original post by qb2507
Where are you doing it?

soton

You won’t. They’ll do the building blocks early on and then move from there. You won’t be the only one in this position.

If you’re desperate to do some, do a little bit of a level style bio and chem a couple of weeks before so you’ll be at same level as undergrad but certainly don’t waste three months on it
Original post by ForestCat
You won’t. They’ll do the building blocks early on and then move from there. You won’t be the only one in this position.

If you’re desperate to do some, do a little bit of a level style bio and chem a couple of weeks before so you’ll be at same level as undergrad but certainly don’t waste three months on it

ta, much appreciated
You’ll be surprised at how much of your knowledge comes back - I still retained stuff from my final year cancer modules in 2013 when I did fourth year last year! “Getting ahead of the curve” just won’t happen until you start because you don’t have information on the assessment style and as others have said you’ll have unstructured studying which will just waste time. It’s a long hard slog (just finished medicine now and did 4 years of another degree before that!) so when we say enjoy your time we mean it!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending