[OCR A] A-Level Further Mathematics: Mechanics 18th June 2019

This poll is closed

How did the exam go?

Amazing! 11%
It was generally good but some mistakes were made. 30%
Tough paper. 25%
RIP FURTHER MATHS GRADE34%
Total votes: 64
Discuss how the exams went, what your thoughts on the paper were and what answers you got!
Personally I found this quite challenging compared to the specimen and the practice papers we got, but I'm anticipating low grade boundaries due to the difficulty of the paper. What about you guys?

Scroll to see replies

Definitely a tough one, especially the final two questions. What did those who answered the final question get? I got OF = r24\frac{r\sqrt 2}{4} and that OF is unchanged if it was on Earth.
Reply 2
I didn't complete the last question, but I worked up to the point where when the reaction force between the particle and the planet was zero, the angle that was made with the upwards vertical was 60 degrees. Was this correct?
Original post by rikkiardo
Definitely a tough one, especially the final two questions. What did those who answered the final question get? I got OF = r24\frac{r\sqrt 2}{4} and that OF is unchanged if it was on Earth.
Original post by TSA2019lol
I didn't complete the last question, but I worked up to the point where when the reaction force between the particle and the planet was zero, the angle that was made with the upwards vertical was 60 degrees. Was this correct?

I believe so. I got 60 degrees too as the angle when P lost contact with the surface of the hemi-sphere.
How did it go today guys!
Reply 5
Though for the last bit, I believe that OF will decrease on earth because the particle will accelerate at a faster rate (6*gamma) on earth towards the plane, hence it will hit the plane earlier and thus travel less horizontal distance between the point it left the hemisphere and when it hit the plane (didn't actually write all this as I ran out of time hah)
I believe so. I got 60 degrees too as the angle when P lost contact with the surface of the hemi-sphere.
(edited 4 years ago)
Though for the last bit, I believe that OF will decrease on earth because the particle will accelerate at a faster rate (6*gamma) on earth towards the plane, hence it will hit the plane earlier and thus travel less horizontal distance between the point it left the planet and when it hit the plane (didn't actually write all this as I ran out of time hah)

I'm wasn't sure about that because my answer to the previous part had the gammas cancel out. I agree about the projectile motion part causing it to hit the plane earlier but I think the particle will leave the surface of the sphere at a different time and height as well and I think that causes it to cancel out. Not sure tbh though.
Reply 7
maybe that was it, when working on the projectile motion I used s=ut+1/2at^2 to work out when the particle hit the ground but didn't complete that in time.
I'm wasn't sure about that because my answer to the previous part had the gammas cancel out. I agree about the projectile motion part causing it to hit the plane earlier but I think the particle will leave the surface of the sphere at a different time and height as well and I think that causes it to cancel out. Not sure tbh though.
maybe that was it, when working on the projectile motion I used s=ut+1/2at^2 to work out when the particle hit the ground but didn't complete that in time.

I did the same thing. It was an 11 mark question that took about 25 minutes because of using the quadratic formula. So many places to make a mistake.
Reply 9
What do you think the grade boundaries (for this paper and in general too) will be? the AS mechanics paper for last year was 35/60 (58.3%) for an A, dunno if this paper will have boundaries similar to that. Really hoping this paper has low boundaries and that the overall boundary for all 4 papers for an A grade is around 70% or high 60%, otherwise hello clearing
What do you think the grade boundaries (for this paper and in general too) will be? the AS mechanics paper for last year was 35/60 (58.3%) for an A, dunno if this paper will have boundaries similar to that. Really hoping this paper has low boundaries and that the overall boundary for all 4 papers for an A grade is around 70% or high 60%, otherwise hello clearing

Personally, I thought Pure Core 2 and this one were particularly hard so maybe if we're lucky... 65% for an A and 75% A*? Perhaps I'm being too optimistic there.
i tihnk it is around 80% for a* on this paper
Pure core 1 and 2 were pretty easy this year, and this wasn’t too bad. 80% A* for this paper and a little above 80% overall for A*?

Yeah the 3 smartest ppl in my year got the gammas cancelled out so it was unchanged, ur right :biggrin: ( I only got up to theta=60 degrees tho lol)
How about the velocity of particle with elastic string?I got 2.48m/s
i got 4.8 but most people got something around 3.
Original post by Snow wang
It was 2.97
Original post by Backtoearth21
It was 2.97

Really? I got 2.48 as well

I cant remember what I got for that. What was your reactions force?
Reaction force is 8.33333...,direction away the surface
Original post by Gabzinc
I cant remember what I got for that. What was your reactions force?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending