The Student Room Group

WJEC Additional Maths

Did anyone else on TSR actually sit WJEC Additional Maths today, if so how did it go for you? For me it went better than expected, there's about a 30-40% chance I could pass, which is much better than I first thought, so that's good I guess.
Reply 1
I literally just left it blank, I hadn't a clue what to put. That's a solid 9 marks out of 100 lost, along with another 15-20 for other questions I left blank
Original post by mpaprika
lmfao the QER what a joke
Reply 2
Most of the last third or so of the paper killed my brain, I'm not amazing at maths, dunno why I opted to do Additional Maths but I could pass, so there's that. Hope you end up getting a distinction, seems like you can do that.
I thought it was a good paper, although I was really thrown off with the completing the square question (q 3 I think), putting the equation in ax+by+c and the drawing the sine curve. I got really confused for the last one because I got a negative number so idk :confused: I've been doing past papers and getting 80ish but I'll probably get much lower this time. As for the QER I just did some random workings and hoped for a few marks
Reply 3
Last year it was 42 - Pass, 57 - Merit, 72 - Distinction, I'm not taking Maths next year, which is why is I question more why I chose it, as it's meant to be a gateway to A Level.
You're obviously good at maths if you're doing additional!! I'm sure you'll do better than you think. Are you taking it next year? Not sure about the distinction, heard you need 75 and I'm doubtful I got that much. I think the grade boundaries are 30-pass 60- merit and 75- distinction and yeah it was a really intense paper from start to finish for me
Reply 4
Probably :biggrin: WJEC is probably the least used exam board on TSR (along with WJEC Eduqas) and considering only a small portion do Additional Maths/Further Maths in all exam boards, I wouldn't be shocked if it's just us on TSR who did it. And we don't talk about GCSE Welsh thank you very much
oh I thought the grade boundaries stayed the same just like with welsh (don't get me started). It helps a lot with regular maths, and I'm sure you got a great grade if you worked hard which I'm sure you did. Also do you think it's just us doing additional on tsr? :ahee:
Reply 5
Do I even want to look at them :'(
Found the model answers on twitter @ ARmathermatics , written by a maths teacher. I don't know how to feel I made some silly mistakes
Reply 6
I counted around 43 but I'm not entirely sure, my memory of my answers is a bit all over the place. So I could have actually passed as I looked and a Pass since 2011 has been around 39-42.
I really regret looking at them lmfaoo, but I 100% passed
Reply 7
Well if I do it'll be a scraped pass, but that doesn't matter, a pass is a pass. Pretty happy tbh
yeah the grade boundaries go up by 1 by each year so I think it might be 43 this year. You never know, you might get some marks for workings (what I'm really hoping for) so you probably did better than you counted up

Quick Reply

Latest