The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Urgent: Worried about Accomodation

I have the choice between Nottingham and Aston and I would ideally rather go to Nottingham and have a affordable accommodation with an en suite than commute to Aston every day.

However getting an affordable accommodation right now seemed abit hard especially through the university where it seems all the en suites are taken. Would it be better for me to take my chances through the university or start looking to find one myself and risk not getting one at all.

I've got until 23:59pm on 20th June to make my choice to go to Aston or Nottingham and who ever runs the Nottingham Accomodation emails isn't helpful and takes too long to reply
Original post by Sunnys19
I have the choice between Nottingham and Aston and I would ideally rather go to Nottingham and have a affordable accommodation with an en suite than commute to Aston every day.

However getting an affordable accommodation right now seemed abit hard especially through the university where it seems all the en suites are taken. Would it be better for me to take my chances through the university or start looking to find one myself and risk not getting one at all.

I've got until 23:59pm on 20th June to make my choice to go to Aston or Nottingham and who ever runs the Nottingham Accomodation emails isn't helpful and takes too long to reply

Choose the one that has the course that suits you better. It doesn’t matter how great your accommodation is if you don’t enjoy what you are studying.

If there is really no difference between courses, then have a look if there are any options to rent privately. Are there rooms available with a shared bathroom?
Consider whether en suite is really that important that you wouldn’t be happy with a normal room for a year. It does seem quite extreme that your university choice rests on whether you have to share your bathroom or not. Granted, I do not know your reasons so apologies if there is a specific reason you would need your own bathroom.
Remember a lot of universities guarantee accommodation for first year students and they are likely to hold some en suites aside for those that need them due to medical reasons etc.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
The courses would be around even with Nottingham edging it for me but the location and whether I would move out is also a big part of it too considering I would have to move out for Nottingham due to it being so far away.

The first year guarantee ran out on June 1st so I wouldn't want to be paying more than I would like for an accomodation that I didn't like.

I just wanted any extra information I could get about sorting out the accomodation cause having to handle it alone when I don't know a lot about it would be rather stressful for me and a possible situation where I could sort one out myself as a back up just in case the university couldn't offer me one would be ideal so I was just wondering if that was possible or would I have to commit to one?
Original post by Nicole14510
Choose the one that has the course that suits you better. It doesn’t matter how great your accommodation is if you don’t enjoy what you are studying.

If there is really no difference between courses, then have a look if there are any options to rent privately. Are there rooms available with a shared bathroom?
Consider whether en suite is really that important that you wouldn’t be happy with a normal room for a year. It does seem quite extreme that your university choice rests on whether you have to share your bathroom or not. Granted, I do not know your reasons so apologies if there is a specific reason you would need your own bathroom.
Remember a lot of universities guarantee accommodation for first year students and they are likely to hold some en suites aside for those that need them due to medical reasons etc.
The courses would be around even with Nottingham edging it for me but the location and whether I would move out is also a big part of it too considering I would have to move out for Nottingham due to it being so far away.

The first year guarantee ran out on June 1st so I wouldn't want to be paying more than I would like for an accomodation that I didn't like.

I just wanted any extra information I could get about sorting out the accomodation cause having to handle it alone when I don't know a lot about it would be rather stressful for me and a possible situation where I could sort one out myself as a back up just in case the university couldn't offer me one would be ideal so I was just wondering if that was possible or would I have to commit to one?

You probably won’t be able to have a backup accommodation in place without signing a lease, which would commit you to the year etc.
A couple of options:
Check if there is a Facebook group or similar where other students in a similar position may be looking for housemates. This again you may have to commit to but you would be living with other students which is essentially all you get in uni accommodation anyway.
Have a look online on lettings agencies. Your parents will be able to help you with this. You can get an idea of how many properties are available and what they are like from this. If there are loads available then you can assume there is likely to be something available if you need it after results day.
Finally, even though you won’t be guaranteed accommodation anymore, they will have some still available as people will drop out etc.
If accommodation was only given to firm choice students there will be a number of people, for whom this is their insurance, looking for accommodation on results day.
If it was provided for firm and insurance then there will be even more freed up by people going elsewhere.

Have a look online what is available, and take it from there. You can always phone up the accommodation office if they are too slow replying to emails
Hi @Sunnys19 While the guarantee might have run it, that doesn't mean they've run out of rooms. When I applied in March, when you pick a zone (I'm assuming you're at Uni Park), it lists down the types of accommodation left and once you've chosen your preferences and submit, they reply to confirm what they've allocated you. The en suites ran out pretty quickly but then some successful applicants may not get the required grades - don't know how these are re-allocated. So, if your preferred zones do not have any rooms, you know you have to look for private accommodation.
I'm sure you've already considered that uni accommodation is only for the 1st year.

Reply 5
Yeah I saw in some other post about the en suites which is a shame but something I'm worried about is comiting to one Accomodation but then missing out on a better one especially that I haven't heard the best stories about shared bathroom Accomodations. Would it just be better if I looked solely through private Accomodations or should I do both?
Original post by Splishsplash
Hi @Sunnys19 While the guarantee might have run it, that doesn't mean they've run out of rooms. When I applied in March, when you pick a zone (I'm assuming you're at Uni Park), it lists down the types of accommodation left and once you've chosen your preferences and submit, they reply to confirm what they've allocated you. The en suites ran out pretty quickly but then some successful applicants may not get the required grades - don't know how these are re-allocated. So, if your preferred zones do not have any rooms, you know you have to look for private accommodation.
I'm sure you've already considered that uni accommodation is only for the 1st year.
Shared bathrooms are cleaned daily (so I was told) I think so shouldn’t get too disgusting 😁
Possibly more convenient and sociable to be on campus. Not sure if deposit required unlike private accommodation
Yeah I saw in some other post about the en suites which is a shame but something I'm worried about is comiting to one Accomodation but then missing out on a better one especially that I haven't heard the best stories about shared bathroom Accomodations. Would it just be better if I looked solely through private Accomodations or should I do both?
Reply 7
message me i have a room available in uni self catered accomodation!
Hiya, I got a Premium Studio Plus @ Radford Mill in Nottingham to let out!
It's £174 per week and for a 44-week tenancy.
Have to find another student to let it out to as I'm staying at home instead.

If anyone is interested, please shoot me a dm.
Here's the website for Radford Mill, it's extremely new, luxurious and has awesome facilities like an on-site gym, laundry facilities and cinema as well. It also has bike storage too.
Radford Mill is 15 minutes away and down the road from Jubilee Park Campus of UON and 15 minutes from Nottingham Trent University.
Thank you!

https://wearehomesforstudents.com/student-accommodation/nottingham/radford-mill

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending