The Student Room Group

2:2 first year and vac scheme options?

I was wondering if anyone is able to offer some insight into vac scheme options if I were to get a 2:2 in first year.

Would it be better to apply in 2nd year and am I still able to put 'expected 2:1' on my CV?

Furthermore, if I were to graduate with a high 2:1 or a first, would it compensate for my poor first-year performance when it comes to the more 'competitive' firms?

Thanks in advance!
Original post by 1234568
I was wondering if anyone is able to offer some insight into vac scheme options if I were to get a 2:2 in first year.

Would it be better to apply in 2nd year and am I still able to put 'expected 2:1' on my CV?

Furthermore, if I were to graduate with a high 2:1 or a first, would it compensate for my poor first-year performance when it comes to the more 'competitive' firms?

Thanks in advance!

When you expecting to apply for vac schemes?

If you graduate with a 2:1 or 1st, you could make yourself stand out from other candidates with good work experience in the legal sector. This would demonstrate your passion for the field and the extra experience will be beneficial.
Original post by 1234568

Thanks in advance!

Putting 'expected 2.1' is pointless anyway, everyone knows you aren't going to get onto a scheme without a 2.1 and so no-one would ever put anything else. It's the same as putting 'references available on request' or 'will wear a suit to interview' - all completely pointless. If you've got a weak first year, its all the more important that you do more work experience, so crack on and apply to everything you can and remain silent on the matter of grades.
Original post by 1234568

Thanks in advance!

I think you have to list individual module results on your vac scheme applications. I'm sure someone mentioned that to me, although I might be mistaken.

Is there a particular reason you didn't perform better?
Original post by AndrewMarkSP
Is there a particular reason you didn't perform better?

Not really.

I haven’t received my results yet but I’m just trying to prepare for any outcome. :smile:
Original post by cheesecakelove
When you expecting to apply for vac schemes?

Second and 3rd year.
Original post by 1234568
Not really.

I haven’t received my results yet but I’m just trying to prepare for any outcome. :smile:

Second and 3rd year.

Oh well good luck! It's torture waiting to find out, isn't it? I get mine on Thursday 😬
Oh well good luck! It's torture waiting to find out, isn't it? I get mine on Thursday 😬

Haha really is. I haven’t been able to sleep properly since it’s all I’ve been dreaming about.

That’s very early! I get mine back in early July :frown: Good luck to you too!
Original post by 1234568
Haha really is. I haven’t been able to sleep properly since it’s all I’ve been dreaming about.

That’s very early! I get mine back in early July :frown: Good luck to you too!

Ah that sucks! When did you take your exams?

I actually have around a third of my credits (from coursework) back, so I know roughly how I've done. But one of the assignments I'm waiting to hear back from was submitted over two months ago, so my anxiety has just been building up.
Ah that sucks! When did you take your exams?

I actually have around a third of my credits (from coursework) back, so I know roughly how I've done. But one of the assignments I'm waiting to hear back from was submitted over two months ago, so my anxiety has just been building up.

My last one was on the 3rd of June. That's very lucky! I only have 1/6th of my marks as 5/6 of the course is exam based :frown:

I know what you mean about the anxiety, my confidence has been deteriorating day by day. I was aiming for a first pre-exams, convinced that I would have achieved at least a 2:1 after my last exam. Now 2 weeks after my exams and I'm almost positive that it's a 2:2 or maybe even a 3rd if things really go south...Oh well, hopefully you'll hear back from them soon and best of luck to the both of us!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending