The Student Room Group

Have your say: Cambridge falls to lowest ever place in world university league table

Here's where you can post a comment about our Cambridge falls to lowest ever place in world university league table article.

Read the full Cambridge falls to lowest ever place in world university league table article and join in the discussion by posting a message below.
:rofl:
Original post by mpaprika
Ibz Mo must be having a heart attack
Was 6th, now 7th.

Hope that helps.
thought it was some next level Guardian nonsense, but QS is generally a good measure, still world class, but a lot of amazing universities out there...ETH Zurich is really good and has just overtaken Cambridge - tbh those in the top 10 are all absolutely amazing to get the chance to study in..
(edited 4 years ago)
How terrible, they've moved down 1 place in a biased ranking system that is of little to no value.
What ******** :rofl:

The entire table is ****ed.
Don’t take any notice of these rankings. I just use them as loo paper. Cambridge is a great uni with hard working students, for whom I have the greatest respect.
Reply 7
Original post by NotNotBatman
How terrible, they've moved down 1 place in a biased ranking system that is of little to no value.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I think that taking these too seriously would constitute a lapse in judgement.
Original post by candokoala
Here's where you can post a comment about our Cambridge falls to lowest ever place in world university league table article.

Read the full Cambridge falls to lowest ever place in world university league table article and join in the discussion by posting a message below.

Its dumb to take any notice of exact position of a Uni, there are really 10-15 Unis that are all effectively equal best as top research and academic institutes and get equal credibility from employers;

OxBridge, Harvard, Yale, MIT, Caltech, Stanford, Bologna, UPenn etc... It will never matter where these Unis rank, employers and researchers value them as the best.
Similarly: UCL, Imperial, Berkeley, Chicago, Columbia will also always be regarded as among the worlds most elite schools no matter where they rank.

It doesn't matter, just a methodology based on fairly weak data designed to gain ad revenue. I do think the QS rankings generally are more representative of Universities but everything needs to be taken with an understanding of what it is, for example according to these rankings Dartmouth college is much worse then Cardiff Uni. Dartmouth is one of the worlds best undergraduate institutes, Cardiff is a very average UK uni, it's just Dartmouth focuses on teaching and has minimal research, therefore the methodology relegates it...
They haven't been the same since I graduated.
7th in the world is still rather impressive. :tongue:
oh no cambridge "sucks" now

what shall we do
That's right, @mnot, tell it like it is. The real question is, which unis offer the course that will make your heart sing.
Original post by mnot
Its dumb to take any notice of exact position of a Uni, there are really 10-15 Unis that are all effectively equal best as top research and academic institutes and get equal credibility from employers;

OxBridge, Harvard, Yale, MIT, Caltech, Stanford, Bologna, UPenn etc... It will never matter where these Unis rank, employers and researchers value them as the best.
Similarly: UCL, Imperial, Berkeley, Chicago, Columbia will also always be regarded as among the worlds most elite schools no matter where they rank.

It doesn't matter, just a methodology based on fairly weak data designed to gain ad revenue. I do think the QS rankings generally are more representative of Universities but everything needs to be taken with an understanding of what it is, for example according to these rankings Dartmouth college is much worse then Cardiff Uni. Dartmouth is one of the worlds best undergraduate institutes, Cardiff is a very average UK uni, it's just Dartmouth focuses on teaching and has minimal research, therefore the methodology relegates it...
Good riddance to bad rubbish
I will always have the greatest respect for Cambridge. Frankly I don’t care where it comes in the league tables
Cambridge still ranks higher in the WORLD than ONE country, the USA, has universities in its 'Ivy League' (8 universities). It'd be really silly to regard it as worrying news, although Oxford, which was for a long time regarded as a bit softer than Cambridge, has made up ground over the last 20 years or so.

The cliche containing some truth: Oxford's where politicians and authors dealing in OPINION go, Cambridge is where philosophers and mathematicians and poets dealing in attempts at TRUTHS go might be broadly the historical pattern. Yes, Oxford has its philosophers but they weren't as mind boggling in their complexity as Cambridge's Wittgenstein. It is a cliche, yes, Oxford has had some very notable scientists, a few poets, and Rachel Riley studied Maths there (getting a first compared to Carol Vorderman's third- which was in engineering actually). And Cambridge has had some notable politicians (if rarely prime minister in modern times) and authors.

Truth, surely, is more important than opinion in the grand scheme of things. However, Oxford makes up for it for publishing far more academic works than Cambridge. However the academic works are just as, if not, more likely to be by Cambridge graduates as Oxford ones.
(edited 4 years ago)
hmm.. my sister wanted to apply their but after this i think its advisable to try her hand elsewhere
This is what I have secretly thought for years, however it is a cliche.

It doesn't matter as both Oxford and Cambridge are equally amazing.

If I had to rank them both against each other, my heart wouldn't allow me to do it.
Original post by Picnic1
Cambridge still ranks higher in the WORLD than ONE country, the USA, has universities in its 'Ivy League' (8 universities). It'd be really silly to regard it as worrying news, although Oxford, which was for a long time regarded as a bit softer than Cambridge, has made up ground over the last 20 years or so.

The cliche containing some truth: Oxford's where politicians and authors dealing in OPINION go, Cambridge is where philosophers and mathematicians and poets dealing in attempts at TRUTHS go might be broadly the historical pattern. Yes, Oxford has its philosophers but they weren't as mind boggling in their complexity as Cambridge's Wittgenstein. It is a cliche, yes, Oxford has had some very notable scientists, a few poets, and Rachel Riley studied Maths there (getting a first compared to Carol Vorderman's third- which was in engineering actually). And Cambridge has had some notable politicians (if rarely prime minister in modern times) and authors.

Truth, surely, is more important than opinion in the grand scheme of things. However, Oxford makes up for it for publishing far more academic works than Cambridge. However the academic works are just as, if not, more likely to be by Cambridge graduates as Oxford ones.
Original post by Picnic1

This post doesn't make a whole lot of sense in the context of this thread.

Not sure what the Ivy league has to do with anything, other than they are just a group of academically renowned universities, but the Ivy league is a sports league not an academic or ranking one, many of the USA's top Unis are not even in it (Stanford, Berkeley, MIT, CalTech, UCLA, NYU, Michigan....)

Also im not sure anyone of any relevance who knows academia seriously considers Oxford 'soft' compared to Cambridge. In the more general sense those outside Europe often consider Oxford the more elite as it is the original and more famous, but again it would be stupid to take any notice of this. Also Oxford is not making it up with publishing more academic work, it always has published more work as the research departments are slightly larger at Oxford. But UCL over the last few years has produced more work than either of them yet no one refers them as making the difference up with more publications. There both equally regarded amongst academic piers, in certain subject areas one might be slightly more regarded but in the global context they are equals. Yes a lot of Cambridge grads go do research at Oxford, as do many Oxford grads go do research at Cambridge.

Im not really sure what the point of your post is about from a load of random words with Ivy league, Oxford & Cambridge written in there somewhere
You make good points, mnot. I understand your disappointment in parts of my post. My overall intention was to make a general point that 7th in the world is very good - and I'm aware of how the Ivy league works but if anyone told me that they were studying at any Ivy league, I'd still find it impressive, particularly if they're moved from the UK to there.

Also, I wanted to show how Cambridge could still be better than Oxford in academics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending