The Student Room Group

Do you give blood?

Poll

Do you give blood?

I use to be a regular donor when I had a consistent work schedule (9-5pm) but as life became busier I just never know if i'm going to be able to donate blood.

The first I went I had no idea what I was in for. Was it literally just someone sticking in a needle and taking a bit of blood? Would I be milked dry of my blood and feel ill?

Well it was a rather pleasant experience. The worst part was perhaps waiting around as they were running late.

A quick pre-donation test. Then you're say down in the coolest cradle like chairs and have a quick prick in the arm to insert the needle. Being young and maybe fortunate my blood bag filled very quickly and I didn't get to utilise my time in the chair to think about life as my mum had suggested :lol:

Penguin bar and a cup of water.. few minutes later i was off out. The staff were lovely and I oddly enjoyed it.

Scroll to see replies

Yes I was a blood donor,but Im not sure if Im going back to it ever again.Keep getting hassled with emails,phone calls,text messages and letters by the blood bank though.
Reply 2
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
Yes I was a blood donor,but Im not sure if Im going back to it ever again.Keep getting hassled with emails,phone calls,text messages and letters by the blood bank though.

That's interesting. I rarely get texts or communication from them after having not been for a while. Are you one of the rarer blood types? :holmes:
Original post by 8472
That's interesting. I rarely get texts or communication from them after having not been for a while. Are you one of the rarer blood types? :holmes:

I'm O+,I don't think that's very rare.What's your blood type?
I want to but I have G6PD-Deficiency so I cant :sadnod:
Reply 5
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
I'm O+,I don't think that's very rare.What's your blood type?

Ah you can donate to me people than I can :smile:

I'm B+ because you've always got to be positive in life :awesome:
Reply 6
I'd like to at least once, but I'm a needlephobe and sitting there with a needle stuck in me would freak me out. I've got a long history of pulling cannulas out as soon as I have the dexterity.

I don't even know my blood type.
Reply 7
Used to. Have a relatively rare type (B Pos), but got ill a few years ago and now I'm not allowed to donate.
I really urge anyone reading this who is considering donating to just pluck up the courage and book it! There is always a huge demand for blood and if you were ever in a situation where you needed blood, you'd sort of just expect it to be available for you. It really doesn't hurt, just a quick needle in and out which is max a 3/10 on the pain scale. The staff go above and beyond and you get unlimited snacks at the end! Even if you just want to find out your blood type (which you gan proceed to brag about if you have a rare one)!
Usually try to donate every 3 months.

Out of curiosity, those who can/do donate, what’s your blood type?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Tootles
I'd like to at least once, but I'm a needlephobe

Me too
Reply 11
I haven’t yet but I do plan to this year.
My uni had an event that I went to but I waited while my friend gave since she’s done it before. Next time I’ll also get involved.
Reply 12
Original post by hannahgeo123
I really urge anyone reading this who is considering donating to just pluck up the courage and book it! There is always a huge demand for blood and if you were ever in a situation where you needed blood, you'd sort of just expect it to be available for you. It really doesn't hurt, just a quick needle in and out which is max a 3/10 on the pain scale. The staff go above and beyond and you get unlimited snacks at the end! Even if you just want to find out your blood type (which you gan proceed to brag about if you have a rare one)!

I bite the skin around my nails and that can cause more pain and draw quite a bit of blood so a needle isn’t really a problem to me.
I wrote an article about reasons you should donate a couple of months ago - check it out here!

Personally I think that everyone who can give blood, should :yep:

Unfortunately I'm unable to :shakecane: But I go with my partner when they donate, and the whole experience is super chill :biggrin:
Not allowed to donate. Probably wouldn't do it even if I could though.
I tried but I was told my veins were too small so I wasn't allowed to. They said they could have used a vein on the side of my elbow but I would have gotten a big bruise and they didn't want to do that to me. I was like um okay I can manage a bruise for a few days if it means I can donate blood. But they refused to let me donate because of that "reason". They're so desperate for blood donors yet turn people away for "reasons" like this? I don't get it.
:yep:

Regular donor and will continue to do so until they don’t want me.
I can’t donate sadly, I’ve had 6 blood transfusions. Thank you to everyone that does donate if they can! :smile:
I never have. I spent most of my life underweight (<7st), not reaching a healthy weight until a year or so ago. I get piercings/tattoos frequently though so I think that also eliminates me. I'll have to look into how long after getting new mods I'm able to. I had blood taken for the first time a couple months ago and despite having quite a bit taken (fasted too) it didn't affect me much so I think it's something I could do voluntarily.
Original post by 8472
I use to be a regular donor when I had a consistent work schedule (9-5pm) but as life became busier I just never know if i'm going to be able to donate blood.

The first I went I had no idea what I was in for. Was it literally just someone sticking in a needle and taking a bit of blood? Would I be milked dry of my blood and feel ill?

Well it was a rather pleasant experience. The worst part was perhaps waiting around as they were running late.

A quick pre-donation test. Then you're say down in the coolest cradle like chairs and have a quick prick in the arm to insert the needle. Being young and maybe fortunate my blood bag filled very quickly and I didn't get to utilise my time in the chair to think about life as my mum had suggested :lol:

Penguin bar and a cup of water.. few minutes later i was off out. The staff were lovely and I oddly enjoyed it.

Im not allowed to with the medication Im on

Quick Reply

Latest