The Student Room Group

In your opinion, who's the best band of all time?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Modern hats don't sell anything like as many as 100 years ago does that mean that hats were better 100 years ago? no, society has changed the Beatles appealed to pubescent girls, grannies and the mass market who just wanted "nice" folksongs from singers presenting a good clean cut image

Give the Beatles and electric guitar and synthesizer and they wouldn't know where to start, and their lyrics say nothing about the lives of people today.

Unlike other artists they weren't able to move with the times, if you compare the performance of Paul McCartney and Wings in the 70s the success wasn't nearly as much, the songs with the same genre the same themes, people wanted different and he didn't supply. And such as U2 and Queen have been able to change their style over time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wings_discography
Original post by mgi
The bands that have been mentioned si far could not hold a candle to the beatles who sold shed loads of records, wrote their own songs mostly, made classic albums and had numerous number one singles! The other bands mentioned do not even come close to touching the Beatles!
(edited 4 years ago)
The wombats
Reply 42
Original post by NJA
Modern hats don't sell anything like as many as 100 years ago does that mean that hats were better 100 years ago? no, society has changed the Beatles appealed to pubescent girls, grannies and the mass market who just wanted "nice" folksongs from singers presenting a good clean cut image

Give the Beatles and electric guitar and synthesizer and they wouldn't know where to start, and their lyrics say nothing about the lives of people today.

Unlike other artists they weren't able to move with the times, if you compare the performance of Paul McCartney and Wings in the 70s the success wasn't nearly as much, the songs with the same genre the same themes, people wanted different and he didn't supply. And such as U2 and Queen have been able to change their style over time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wings_discography

This is utter fiction. What on earth does Paul MacCartney and Wings have to do with a Lennon and McCartney Beatles? The Beatles also wrote songs for other artists,films are still being made about them . You may find it interesting to do more research on what bands like U2 and Queen thought of the Beatles and their enduring legacy. Are you actually serious regarding your electric guitar synthesizer comment? Why don't you do some research on how the iconic Sgt. Peppers album was made; widely regarded as one of the most influential albums ever recorded! Read what generations of musicians icluding ones from Queen have to say about tje Beatles. And why are they always so awestruck when they get to do a gig at Abbey Road studios? Electric guitar? Also, have you heard of a sixties guitarist called Jimi Hendrix? Exactly what modern electric guitar/synthesizer could he not have dealt with?' "Modern'" does not automatically mean good or better! If you step back in time you will notice that there were far more creative artists and musicians than there are now.
Reply 43
I want music to change my mood and make me reflect, I want atmosphere . The Beatles couldn't supply that for me, going to an evening of their music would actually send me to sleep. That's my opinion, many people would agree, you don't probably many more don't, that's it.
Original post by mgi
This is utter fiction. What on earth does Paul MacCartney and Wings have to do with a Lennon and McCartney Beatles? The Beatles also wrote songs for other artists,films are still being made about them . You may find it interesting to do more research on what bands like U2 and Queen thought of the Beatles and their enduring legacy. Are you actually serious regarding your electric guitar synthesizer comment? Why don't you do some research on how the iconic Sgt. Peppers album was made; widely regarded as one of the most influential albums ever recorded! Read what generations of musicians icluding ones from Queen have to say about tje Beatles. And why are they always so awestruck when they get to do a gig at Abbey Road studios? Electric guitar? Also, have you heard of a sixties guitarist called Jimi Hendrix? Exactly what modern electric guitar/synthesizer could he not have dealt with?' "Modern'" does not automatically mean good or better! If you step back in time you will notice that there were far more creative artists and musicians than there are now.
This depends on context, or course. For sheer utility I'd have to go with rubber, but for historical societal influence it would be wedding. My tip for future influence is gastric.
Joy Division or The Beatles
led zeppelin
Original post by Glaz
Joy Division or The Beatles
Original post by Yasmin1224
BEST BAND OF ALL TIME IS BTS:rolleyes:

This is why NegRep should still be a thing.
Original post by Glaz
This is why NegRep should still be a thing.

What why?
What why?

NegRep (negative rep) was where you could downvote people instead of upvoting them.
I would like to neg you because BTS sucks :rofl:
Original post by Glaz
NegRep (negative rep) was where you could downvote people instead of upvoting them.

Ok thats your opinion. I'm a big fan of them i love them so much which is why I think they are the best band
i respect your opinion but they are not the best or most influential.

take the earlier bands, led zeppelin, the stones, the faces, the yardbirds, black sabbath, without these rock music and bands would be very different today
just watch led zeppelins 2012 performance, even after 50 years they still rocked that performance. and john bonham is the greatest drummer ever. the thing is with many modern groups like BTS, yes they can sing, but they don't have "intruments" as such. which i believe is fundamental for a band. without instruments it takes away the feel. this is just my opinion
Ok thats your opinion. I'm a big fan of them i love them so much which is why I think they are the best band
Reply 52
Original post by NJA
I want music to change my mood and make me reflect, I want atmosphere . The Beatles couldn't supply that for me, going to an evening of their music would actually send me to sleep. That's my opinion, many people would agree, you don't probably many more don't, that's it.

Yes. But at any music concert that you you go to i am quite certain that they will have heard of the Beatles and easily list some of their songs. How comes whrn the Beatles quit as a band in 1970? And a good creative artist in 2019 could surely put a modern twist on Beatles classics? And what about latest modern twist on the Beatles- the film Yesterday- out in Cinemas at the moment. Do you know that the song Yesterday, first sang by Paul McCartney in the Beatles in 1965, is one of the most played songs on American radio ever? And i would wager a bet with you that virtually every person in Europe knows and likes or liked the song Hey Jude including the late great Freddie Mercury,Brian May and you!
Since it's a question that can be affected by how much weight you give to originality or to intellectually including previous work in your own, I suggest something:

We imagine if the band was missing 1 of its supposedly least vital members if it is a 3 piece band or 2 of its supposedly least vital members if it is a 4 piece band. With only competent session musicians, with no songwriting ability, allowed to fill in.

What effect would this have on its songwriting and on its sound- and the overall 'personality' of the band?

The White Stripes are immediately exempt as they only have 2 members. I would argue that makes them one of the greatest bands as they've had a lot of great songs regardless.

However, if R.E.M. lost its drummer, as it did, then it loses the writer of Everybody Hurts, Man in the Moon, and Tongue.
Reply 54
You are obviously very familiar with the work of The Beatles, (and I guess there are going to be a load of bandwagon Beatles fans never this film's coming out) but not so with the Bands I have mentioned. This thread isn't about commercial success, many people just want songs to sing along to or dance to as this releases endorphins makes them feel better then they get on with their lives, the Beatles take those boxes.

Original post by mgi
Yes. But at any music concert that you you go to i am quite certain that they will have heard of the Beatles and easily list some of their songs. How comes whrn the Beatles quit as a band in 1970? And a good creative artist in 2019 could surely put a modern twist on Beatles classics? And what about latest modern twist on the Beatles- the film Yesterday- out in Cinemas at the moment. Do you know that the song Yesterday, first sang by Paul McCartney in the Beatles in 1965, is one of the most played songs on American radio ever? And i would wager a bet with you that virtually every person in Europe knows and likes or liked the song Hey Jude including the late great Freddie Mercury,Brian May and you!
(edited 4 years ago)
Gastric

their breakout album "Fat of the Land" is a masterpiece.
10CC
Original post by Glaz

A band play instruments and write some of their songs. So people such as Westlife are not a band.
Reply 58
I'm just here to see if the Beatles argument is still happening. Slow day for me, it was entertaining.
Also what the F is a BTS?
Reply 59
A Korean boy band I think, Jimmy Carr has commented:
"When I first heard something Korean had exploded in America, I got worried. So I guess, it could've been worse - but not much worse.'
Original post by TG1984
I'm just here to see if the Beatles argument is still happening. Slow day for me, it was entertaining.
Also what the F is a BTS?

Quick Reply

Latest