The Student Room Group

The Royal family and blasphemy

I have been listening to the musical Six and enjoying it (it's about Henry VIII's wives), but then I wonder, is it almost blasphemous to talk wrongly about Henry VIII as he was anointed King and people say he was chosen by God. I'm not even that religious, it just feels slightly off. Does anyone get this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don’t think that there are many people that care about or believe in the divine right of king’s or anything these days and the monarchy is a part of British history that people can make good satire about. It would probably be different if it were about the current royals as, I think satires have to be really careful and sensitive with that but Henry VIII was like 6 centuries ago. At the same time, I think it’s fair to say that people can sometimes assume some sort of ownership over the royal family because it’s a part of their culture and therefor a topic easily translated to comedy.
Thank you 😀
Original post by Corps
I don’t think that there are many people that care about or believe in the divine right of king’s or anything these days and the monarchy is a part of British history that people can make good satire about. It would probably be different if it were about the current royals as, I think satires have to be really careful and sensitive with that but Henry VIII was like 6 centuries ago. At the same time, I think it’s fair to say that people can sometimes assume some sort of ownership over the royal family because it’s a part of their culture and therefor a topic easily translated to comedy.
Reply 3
Original post by TeamDaenerys
I have been listening to the musical Six and enjoying it (it's about Henry VIII's wives), but then I wonder, is it almost blasphemous to talk wrongly about Henry VIII as he was anointed King and people say he was chosen by God. I'm not even that religious, it just feels slightly off. Does anyone get this?

The belief is that all monarchs are elected by God. That doesn't mean it's blasphemous to poke fun at them sometimes though. Do you think Christians never make jokes about each other, or God, or biblical figures?
Reply 4
People still believe in that stupidity? Monarchs elected by gods, yeah right. I have nothing against our current monarch, she is probably the nicest Monarch Britain ever had but if they did piss me off in some way or another I would not hesitate to insult them
I don’t know whether I actually believe that but I think it’s harsh to call people’s beliefs stupidly and sometimes it feels a bit weird hating on a monarch
Original post by The RAR
People still believe in that stupidity? Monarchs elected by gods, yeah right. I have nothing against our current monarch, she is probably the nicest Monarch Britain ever had but if they did piss me off in some way or another I would not hesitate to insult them
I don’t know whether I actually believe that but I think it’s harsh to call people’s beliefs stupidly and sometimes it feels a bit weird hating on a monarch

Beliefs should not be immune from criticism, especially if they're blatantly stupid.
But why is that belief so stupid? Who gets to decide what is stupid and what is not?
King Henry 8.0 was a syphilitic wife killer.

:crown: = :spank:

I know he thought he was chosen by God, but I don't think that was really the case or why was God so mean to him with the ulcerous leg and potential heirs dying etc?
Original post by the bear

Oh yes I forgot the syphilis :frown:

He's still my favourite royal though
But why is that belief so stupid? Who gets to decide what is stupid and what is not?

Because it matches no legal or biblical definition of blasphemy, the fact that there's nothing wrong with criticising someone for their objectively sh*try decisions, never mind the fact that belief in God is entirely without rational basis or proof to criticise what people say about a long dead monarch on that grounds.
(edited 4 years ago)
He caught the French Disease off of Eileen Crustbucket the notorious strumpet of Cheapside whilst attending the Globe Theater.
He caught the French Disease off of Eileen Crustbucket the notorious strumpet of Cheapside whilst attending the Globe Theater.

That sounds about right - he was an innocent victim of Eileen Crustbucket and the French. It was their revenge for Boulogne
Original post by harrysbar
That sounds about right - he was an innocent victim of Eileen Crustbucket and the French. It was their revenge for Boulogne

Ironically the play he was watching was All's Well That Ends Well

:teehee:
Ironically the play he was watching was All's Well That Ends Well

:teehee:

He enjoyed the happy ending but not the results of the happy ending :tongue:
@Plantagenet Crown art thou blasphemous?
Original post by Glaz
@Plantagenet Crown art thou blasphemous?

you must approach his throne with gaze averted.
Reply 19

I didn't know Henry hoover model 8 had wives and killed them??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending