The Student Room Group

Worried about starting university late

This sounds really stupid but I’m so worried for starting university at the age of 19. I know it’s only a year but what if I don’t get on with people year younger than me?

Anyone here who joined in halls at 19?
Original post by JamalH
This sounds really stupid but I’m so worried for starting university at the age of 19. I know it’s only a year but what if I don’t get on with people year younger than me?

Come on what’s the difference between an 18 and 19 year old. There are many people who start at 19 due to taking a gap year. There’s even many mature students.
You’ve nothing to worry about, there will be plenty of other students who have either taken an extra year at college or a gap year, and besides, even if there wasn’t, there simply isn’t a significant enough cultural difference between 18 and 19 year olds that you will be able to tell when your fellow students are a year younger than you, and likewise that they will be able to tell that you are a year older than them - I would actually argue there is zero cultural difference on account of that one year age difference - why would there be?

I mean it’s pretty wild to think you’d only be able to get on with people who happened to be born in the same year as you - can you imagine living your whole life unable to relate or get on with anyone who isn’t your exact age? That would be madness and insanely limiting.

I’ll be going to uni this September at the ripe age of 21, am I worried about there being some sort of age barrier? Not at all! I work with people younger and older than me who I get on with very well, and when I was in college I was in classes with people younger than me, never bothered me or them.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by -_alex_-
You’ve nothing to worry about, there will be plenty of other students who have either taken an extra year at college or a gap year, and besides, even if there wasn’t, there simply isn’t a significant enough cultural difference between 18 and 19 year olds that you will be able to tell when your fellow students are a year younger than you, and likewise that they will be able to tell that you are a year older than them - I would actually argue there is zero cultural difference on account of that one year age difference - why would there be?

I mean it’s pretty wild to think you’d only be able to get on with people who happened to be born in the same year as you - can you imagine living your whole life unable to relate or get on with anyone who isn’t your exact age? That would be madness and insanely limiting.

I’ll be going to uni this September at the ripe age of 21, am I worried about there being some sort of age barrier? Not at all! I work with people younger and older than me who I get on with very well, and when I was in college I was in classes with people younger than me, never bothered me or them.

Yeah that does make sense haha, I don’t know why I’m getting so funny about this type of situation I just feel like people wouldn’t feel like as comfortable with someone older living in halls with them? Like I’ll be 20 at one point and some of them will still be 18.

Honestly this sounds so stupid hahah but thank you for the reassurance :smile:
Don't worry! There are students who've taken gap years, and sometimes you'll get along well with someone a year or two years younger than you that you don't realise the difference between your age. :smile:
Original post by JamalH

Remember when you were in nursery or infant school and you used to say you were 5 1/4 because the extra bit really mattered?
You need to get your worries into perspective. Rather than it being a big thing it is a nothing and you are wasting energy worrying about it.

1. Nobody will know if you dont tell them or wear a badge declaring you are worried about being late.
2. Plenty of people take gap years.
3. Plenty of people start much later after returning to education and we are talking 20s,30s40's etc.
4. the difference between an 18 year and 19 year old is negligible and one can easily be more mature than another.
5. Do yourself a favour and start looking at social skills as well as greater self esteem as that will mean you will worry less, be more confident and maximise your chances of making friends.

Ps My tip is dont make a thing of it with flatmates or potential friends as they wont care and you could become the person that person and known for going round telling everyone they are 19 and different. Cant stress enough for virtually everyone they wont care, so you certainly shouldnt.

pps sorry for all the previous posters who am sure offered good advice to this perennial issue.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
Remember when you were in nursery or infant school and you used to say you were 5 1/4 because the extra bit really mattered?
You need to get your worries into perspective. Rather than it being a big thing it is a nothing and you are wasting energy worrying about it.

1. Nobody will know if you dont tell them or wear a badge declaring you are worried about being late.
2. Plenty of people take gap years.
3. Plenty of people start much later after returning to education and we are talking 20s,30s40's etc.
4. the difference between an 18 year and 19 year old is negligible and one can easily be more mature than another.
5. Do yourself a favour and start looking at social skills as well as greater self esteem as that will mean you will worry less, be more confident and maximise your chances of making friends.

Ps My tip is dont make a thing of it with flatmates or potential friends as they wont care and you could become the person that person and known for going round telling everyone they are 19 and different. Cant stress enough for virtually everyone they wont care, so you certainly shouldnt.

pps sorry for all the previous posters who am sure offered good advice to this perennial issue.

Thank you very much haha, I’m being such a pussy it’s probably because I’m pissed off at the fact of staying another year at college instead of doing a foundation year. All your advice has helped me out so I do appreciate :smile:
There's honestly no difference between an 18 year-old and a 19 year-old.
Loads of people take gap years anyway so a large percentage of people start at 19.

I started my foundation year at 24 - currently about to enter 2nd year at 26, and I've made friends all aged between 18-28 so far - so seriously don't worry about it.

Quick Reply

Latest