The Student Room Group

Iran Shoots Down RQ-4 BAMS-D $150m Drone near Persian Gulf

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tempest II
Everyone spies on everyone. If the aircraft was in international airspace then it's legal. What do you think the Russians are doing to the UK when they send over their Bears and Blackjacks to probe UK airspace? We haven't shot them down.

This is definitely the reality. Countries spy on each other, so people shouldn't be too suprised that the US is spying on Iran.

Original post by the bear
nobody in here has claimed it is a false flag attack yet :flute:

Well considering that Iran is saying that they have shot down a drone, there is no reason for people to believe it is a false flag attack.

Original post by Palmyra
Iran has pledged to prove that the US is lying when it claims the RQ-4 drone was flying in international airspace when it was shot down by Iran:

Screenshot 2019-06-20 at 18.04.32.png

More pointless rhetoric made by Iran.
here is the type of drone which the mad mullahs shot down today:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D9gwGhSWwAAEBWY.png:large

it is enormous !!
here is the type of drone which Iran shot down today:

it is enormous !!

With a wingspan of 40m it is the largest and (likely) most expensive drone in the world. :smile:
here is the type of drone which the mad mullahs shot down today:

it is enormous !!

Yeah. The officer in charge of that drone will get his ass whooped.
UPDATE:

When asked by reporters if the US will "strike back"/attack Iran, Trump has just said: "you'll soon find out".

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1141744229410115585
Iran has officially filed a complaint against the US at the UN for the US drone allegedly violating Iranian airspace.

President Trump has said that Iran might have mistakenly shot down the drone: "I find it hard to believe it was intentional". (The climbdown begins already?)
(edited 4 years ago)
Interestingly it seems that the US flies the same series of drones near Russia, but keeps its transponders on... Perhaps to avoid them being mistaken as a threat and shot down?

One theory is that they were trying to hide the location of the drone from the public, not from Iran. Iran has radars that can track these drones regardless of their transponders, but because their transponders were off the public does not have access to its location.
Original post by stoyfan
Yeah. The officer in charge of that drone will get his ass whooped.

Another reason why I very much doubt the RPAS was in Iranian airspace. Despite what Hollywood and the press may sometimes think, armed forces can be rather risk-averse; if you c*ck up a something big, your career will pretty much be over, at the very least.

No way is anyone signing off such as expensive asset flying over Iran when an MQ-1/MQ-9 could have caused a similar incident. Whereas if the Yanks were trying to spy on Iran within their airspace, they'd use a VLO aircraft.
So tell us what happened to the operator of the RQ-170 that strayed 100km into Iranian territory?

Or the captain of the USS Vincennes that shot down a civilian airliner whilst illegally in Iranian territorial waters, killing 300 civilians? His career would definitely be over, right? Wrong: he got a medal for his service!
Another reason why I very much doubt the RPAS was in Iranian airspace. Despite what Hollywood and the press may sometimes think, armed forces can be rather risk-averse; if you c*ck up a something big, your career will pretty much be over, at the very least.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Palmyra
So tell us what happened to the operator of the RQ-170 that strayed 100km into Iranian territory?

Thank you for proving my point - the RQ-170 is a VLO RPAS. The RQ-4 is an airliner size aircraft that isn't designed to enter contested airspace.
Logically, no way was it sent into Iranian airspace when there's known threats there, especially considering the Iranians shot at an MQ-9 a week ago.
BREAKING: Iran has announced the exact co-ordinates where it argues the RQ-4 was intercepted in Iranian airspace. Even more importantly, Iran announced that it has "retrieved sections of the US military drone in OUR territorial waters where it was shot down".

Haven't heard anything about the US finding any wreckage, so I guess Iran won the race to the wreckage just as they won the race to the mine a few days ago.
Thank you for proving my point - the RQ-170 is a VLO RPAS. The RQ-4 is an airliner size aircraft that isn't designed to enter contested airspace.
Logically, no way was it sent into Iranian airspace when there's known threats there, especially considering the Iranians shot at an MQ-9 a week ago.

You didn't reply to USS Vincennes captain getting a medal for killing 300 civilians after illegally entering Iranian territorial waters, was his career "over"? :rolleyes:

RQ-4 is supposed to evade interception via high altitude flight. Guess they underestimated Iran's AD capability. Interesting you mention the MQ-9 - they mentioned in their report that the interceptor missile missed, perhaps that lulled them into a false sense of security.

They use transponders when they fly near Russia, I think they will do the same when they fly near Iran in the future. :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Iran has revealed an animation infographic video of the US RQ'4 drone's flight path from launch in the UAE to interception in Iran's territorial airspace, interesting watch:

https://twitter.com/PressTV/status/1141758415812931584
The irony.
Do you believe all the stuff Iran comes out with?
Reply 53
I very much doubt the Iranians are telling the truth regarding it being in Iranian airspace. Logically, why would the US fly one of their bigger, more expensive RPAS (without VLO capabilities) over Iran at the current time? If the US wanted to provoke Iran, they could have used MQ-1s or MQ-9s which there are far more of in the US arsenal and are relatively cheap.

Why not? The US have a long history of flying drones over other peoples territory for recon or attacking purposes. Why should we assume this to be any different?
From what I see, the US can be blamed for pulling out of the nuclear deal. But since then, Iran has been pushing its proxies in Iraq against Coalition forces,

Allegedly... But not an unreasonable position to take seeing as the Americans should be in Iraq to start with, no?

attacked tankers both in port and the Strait of Hormuz,

I dont recall seeing any evidence of that yet?
attempted to shoot down an MQ-9 and have now shot down an RQ-4 - both that were in international waters.

In its airspace... You fly a UCAV or Spy drone over someones land they have absolutely every right to shoot it down.

Original post by Palmyra
BREAKING: Iran has announced the exact co-ordinates where it argues the RQ-4 was intercepted in Iranian airspace. Even more importantly, Iran announced that it has "retrieved sections of the US military drone in OUR territorial waters where it was shot down".

Haven't heard anything about the US finding any wreckage, so I guess Iran won the race to the wreckage just as they won the race to the mine a few days ago.

You didn't reply to USS Vincennes captain getting a medal for killing 300 civilians after illegally entering Iranian territorial waters, was his career "over"? :rolleyes:

RQ-4 is supposed to evade interception via high altitude flight. Guess they underestimated Iran's AD capability. Interesting you mention the MQ-9 - they mentioned in their report that the interceptor missile missed, perhaps that lulled them into a false sense of security.

They use transponders when they fly near Russia, I think they will do the same when they fly near Iran in the future. :smile:

The captain getting a medal after downing the airliner was ridiculous, but that was over 30 years ago... And you've got to look at in context - who was attacking shipping back in the 1980s? Both Iraq and Iran targeted tankers and USN ships.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Earnest_Will

I'm inclined to believe that the RQ-4 was in international airspace and that perhaps the US didn't believe Iran would be foolish enough to target it in international airspace? After all, Iran seems to be claiming that it doesn't want war yet also is carrying out attacks on tankers and RPAS. Almost like... I don't know... The Pasdaran are operating off the reservation?
The irony.
Do you believe all the stuff Iran comes out with?

Yes, we should trust the country that told us Iraq had WMD and no RQ-170 was lost (until Iran displayed the mint condition RQ-170 to the world and forced the US to beg for it back). :smile:
The captain getting a medal after downing the airliner was ridiculous, but that was over 30 years ago... And you've got to look at in context - who was attacking shipping back in the 1980s? Both Iraq and Iran targeted tankers and USN ships.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Earnest_Will

I'm inclined to believe that the RQ-4 was in international airspace and that perhaps the US didn't believe Iran would be foolish enough to target it in international airspace? After all, Iran seems to be claiming that it doesn't want war yet also is carrying out attacks on tankers and RPAS. Almost like... I don't know... The Pasdaran are operating off the reservation?

You claimed that if US officers mess up their career is "over", I gave you an example of a monumental **** up (and war crime) and the officer getting rewarded. Unless you can give substantial evidence to the contrary to prove your assertion we'll consider that debunked.

If you look at the history of the veracity of US and Iranian claims re: drones etc you'll see that Iran actually has the better record here. Firstly, with the RQ-170 incident which the US refused to accept happened for a long time and then had to eat their words. Secondly, with the RQ-4 incident Iran was the first country to state it had shot down a US drone, identified the drone correctly as an RQ-4. The US rejected this for 8 hours and then claimed it was a MQ-4C Triton, then later admitted it was an RQ-4 after all. Thirdly, the US claimed the USS Vincennes was in international waters when it shot down the Iranian civilian airliner and killed 300 civilians, then later admitted it was in Iranian territorial waters.

I could present more examples but you're too dogmatically pro-US to even consider the fact that the US might lie or have a worse track record in disclosing the truth to the public than someone else.
(edited 4 years ago)
The reality is that the US has imposed economic warfare against Iran but cannot afford to go to war with Iran. Thus Iran feels it has greater leeway to assert itself in the Persian Gulf region because it knows the Pentagon and Trump are both opposed to war with Iran.

1) A few days ago the Houthis launched a cruise missile strike against a water desalination facility in Saudi Arabia.
2) A few weeks prior the Houthis launched an armed drone attack that pierced 500km deep into KSA without being detected and successfully attacked a PG-Red Sea (East-West) oil pipeline in Saudi Arabia, designed to enable it to export oil via other avenues than the Persian Gulf/Strait of Hormuz.
3) Just the other day the operational offices etc of ExxonMobil and other US oil companies were hit by a rocket in Iraq, forcing them to evacuate.

I could go on. People who follow military and political affairs will understand what each of those attacks are in response to and the signals they are designed to send to deter US aggression against Iran.

Persians invented chess and luckily for Iran brash overconfident illiterate businessmen rarely make for good chess players. @Tempest II
(edited 4 years ago)
Why cant the US afford to go to get into a conflict with Iran?

I dont think they want one, but with the correct amount of provocation they will retaliate.
If that had been a piloted aircraft and Americans had been lost they would retaliate.
As it is they will fly across a replacement which is probably already in place.
There is no need for such a drone to fly into Iranian airspace, the whole point of being at 50,000 feet is you see a long way.

Time will tell whether it was in Iranian or International airspace.
Also cant see the deal whether it was a Triton or an RQ4, they are pretty similar.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
Why cant the US afford to go to get into a conflict with Iran?

I dont think they want one, but with the correct amount of provocation they will retaliate.
If that had been a piloted aircraft and Americans had been lost they would retaliate.
As it is they will fly across a replacement which is probably already in place.
There is no need for such a drone to fly into Iranian airspace, the whole point of being at 50,000 feet is you see a long way.

Time will tell whether it was in Iranian or International airspace.
Also cant see the deal whether it was a Triton or an RQ4, they are pretty similar.

It's clear that you don't really know what you're talking about so I'll keep it brief for you: Iran owns the escalation game.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending