The Student Room Group

Can you truly follow Islam in the non-muslim countries?

Can you truly follow Islam in the non-muslim countries?
(edited 3 years ago)
Hey mate :smile:
Yeah you can, as someone who has had fluctuating iman like every single muslim out there, it is very doable. When your faith is strong little things like going clubbing doesnt even interest you. Having grown up in a diverse area with loads of muslims, halal food is very accessible, bday parties... Dont think ive been invited to one LOL, talking to the opposite sex? There are some things that are unavoidable and ur not punished for it. Sometimes you have to talk to the opposite sex in work or classes or whatever. But when it comes to hanging out like in friendship groups its actually very easy not talking to the opposite sex in free time. Ive noticed that even non muslims seem to segregate when it comes to friendship groups which is quite surprising haha. Growing up in mixed environment i havent exactly had any relationships, have much physical contact, or do dodgy stuff with the opposite sex. When you grow up in that environment you can easily learn to set boundaries and respect each other. There is a thing in Islam that says you have to abide by the law of the land so if the only way to buy a house is through "haram investing" then you have no choice because we all need a place to live. You cant get punished for smth you have no choice to do if it is for absolute necessity. I dont know about university law but ive heard of plenty muslims who study law at uni. It seems to be a very respectable and desirable degree/career for muslims. Plus in law you can go into so many things, i wouldn't understand why you can't study it? Is it because its not shariah law? Lol. In islam it is expected for every human to sin and islam acknowledges that mankind is weak. Not everything is haram lmao. Things that are haram are only haram if they are not beneficial for us. But other than that living almost 2 decades of my life as a muslim has been but a blessing because you see life differently, especially when facing challenges.
Hope that helps :smile:

Salam
Original post by geniequeen48
Hey mate :smile:
Yeah you can, as someone who has had fluctuating iman like every single muslim out there, it is very doable. When your faith is strong little things like going clubbing doesnt even interest you. Having grown up in a diverse area with loads of muslims, halal food is very accessible, bday parties... Dont think ive been invited to one LOL, talking to the opposite sex? There are some things that are unavoidable and ur not punished for it. Sometimes you have to talk to the opposite sex in work or classes or whatever. But when it comes to hanging out like in friendship groups its actually very easy not talking to the opposite sex in free time. Ive noticed that even non muslims seem to segregate when it comes to friendship groups which is quite surprising haha. Growing up in mixed environment i havent exactly had any relationships, have much physical contact, or do dodgy stuff with the opposite sex. When you grow up in that environment you can easily learn to set boundaries and respect each other. There is a thing in Islam that says you have to abide by the law of the land so if the only way to buy a house is through "haram investing" then you have no choice because we all need a place to live. You cant get punished for smth you have no choice to do if it is for absolute necessity. I dont know about university law but ive heard of plenty muslims who study law at uni. It seems to be a very respectable and desirable degree/career for muslims. Plus in law you can go into so many things, i wouldn't understand why you can't study it? Is it because its not shariah law? Lol. In islam it is expected for every human to sin and islam acknowledges that mankind is weak. Not everything is haram lmao. Things that are haram are only haram if they are not beneficial for us. But other than that living almost 2 decades of my life as a muslim has been but a blessing because you see life differently, especially when facing challenges.
Hope that helps :smile:

Salam

"There is a thing in Islam that says you have to abide by the law of the land so if the only way to buy a house is through "haram investing" then you have no choice because we all need a place to live."

no that is not right there are many alternatives than buying a house! like renting
Oh I wasnt aware of that-thanks! Just realised that is what my parents do-rent
Original post by verycoolperson
"There is a thing in Islam that says you have to abide by the law of the land so if the only way to buy a house is through "haram investing" then you have no choice because we all need a place to live."

no that is not right there are many alternatives than buying a house! like renting
Reply 4

Wait I thought you were of the 'student loans are halal' camp? How is buying a house considered "haram investing" but student loans are not?
Original post by Ascend
Wait I thought you were of the 'student loans are halal' camp? How is buying a house considered "haram investing" but student loans are not?

i do not have the same view as others when they mention student loans
Reply 6
i do not have the same view as others when they mention student loans

I see. Well, I'm sure there's a scholar out there somewhere who has made mortgages halal. Fatwa shopping is apparently in season for even the most salafi of the salafists.
Original post by Ascend
I see. Well, I'm sure there's a scholar out there somewhere who has made mortgages halal. Fatwa shopping is apparently in season for even the most salafi of the salafists.

ok
Hopefully not. Islam is a cult
Religion is something that comes from within if you truly understand the essence behind a religion you will be able to follow it no matter where you are.
Surround yourself with righteous friends and it will be a breeze. The Dunya is a temporary test and will fly in a heart beat.
Depends which countries you are talking about. In some countries, for example, you cannot practice Islam fully because they ban face veils and hijabs.

The default ruling is that something is permissible unless there is evidence to say otherwise. The permissible is great in number, and for every haram option, there is a viable halal alternative.

Religion is easy, as the Prophet (saw) said. Holding onto your religion may be difficult, but fostering yaqeen, conviction, in what you believe in certainly helps.

Nurture that conviction and you will feel at ease, you will naturally gravitate towards that which is pure and good, and you will be happy and content with whatever has been revealed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending