The Student Room Group

Applying to Brampton Manor Academy sixth form

Ok so I want to apply for Brampton sixth form but my minimum expected grades are all level 6s, if I can work harder and get a good reference and achieve the grades on GCSE results day will I be able to get an offer. I’m not sure if you needed 7s and above for your real exam or for your predicted grades. I’m working way above my predictions but Brampton won’t know that sooooo do you think I will be able to get through to the interviews???? Please help me... 😂

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jenniferheid
Ok so I want to apply for Brampton sixth form but my minimum expected grades are all level 6s, if I can work harder and get a good reference and achieve the grades on GCSE results day will I be able to get an offer. I’m not sure if you needed 7s and above for your real exam or for your predicted grades. I’m working way above my predictions but Brampton won’t know that sooooo do you think I will be able to get through to the interviews???? Please help me... 😂

As they are a top school and are likely to be oversubscribed I really don't think they will accept you. However, looking at their admissions policy
they do offer late places if their current candidates do not meet their conditional offers. You may be able to apply on results day when they see how many of their applicants actually got the grades they said. Here is the extract from the admissions document
Capture.PNG
I know a few dudes who got kicked out in at the end of year 12 because of flopping literally one subject. Listen one guy got AABD and they were like nope, you gotta go bye. I feel like that’s too much and pretty sure you won’t have much of a good experience there unless ur full on smart getting A* all the time and can handle the workload well. If u really wanna go there, maybe ask your teachers to change the predicted grades and appeal for at least one grade above - but this is only possible if you’re actually showing them you’ve taken the initiative to improve a lot. If those grades get changed, and you do well on the interview there’s a good chance you’ll get in. Good luck.
Original post by euphorism
I know a few dudes who got kicked out in at the end of year 12 because of flopping literally one subject. Listen one guy got AABD and they were like nope, you gotta go bye. I feel like that’s too much and pretty sure you won’t have much of a good experience there unless ur full on smart getting A* all the time and can handle the workload well. If u really wanna go there, maybe ask your teachers to change the predicted grades and appeal for at least one grade above - but this is only possible if you’re actually showing them you’ve taken the initiative to improve a lot. If those grades get changed, and you do well on the interview there’s a good chance you’ll get in. Good luck.

I also know someone who goes there...
I mean used to go there. He left because of the workload and how strict the teachers were. But I suppose they gotta push students if they want to keep their results high
I applied on results day and was below the entry requirements and I still got in with no interview.

so you should still try and give it a shot.👍
Original post by Leviathan1611
I applied on results day and was below the entry requirements and I still got in with no interview.

how is the workload is it a lot? how many hours after school do you study?
Original post by sadasd23ev3
how is the workload is it a lot? how many hours after school do you study?

it's quite a bit but it's manageable. however I'm a very slow worker (my brains just slow) and I procrastinate often so it's quite a lot for me personally.

school finishes at 2:35 and I study until 7pm, however it will be interrupted with the time taken to travel home and eat something etc. I go to bed around 7/8pm and wake up at 1/2 am to eat and study until around 5:30/6:00. so that's around 5 or 6 hours a day.

it's either that or I study till midnight then I go to bed.
Is ittttt 😂😂 ok I’ll try but I’m still going to have to take into consideration the other comments too
it's quite a bit but it's manageable. however I'm a very slow worker (my brains just slow) and I procrastinate often so it's quite a lot for me personally.

school finishes at 2:35 and I study until 7pm, however it will be interrupted with the time taken to travel home and eat something etc. I go to bed around 7/8pm and wake up at 1/2 am to eat and study until around 5:30/6:00. so that's around 5 or 6 hours a day.

it's either that or I study till midnight then I go to bed.

what is the atmosphere at Brampton like and what are the rules like?
Original post by THEINDIANBATMAN
what is the atmosphere at Brampton like and what are the rules like?

best way to describe it: happy/healthy/relaxed atmosphere

rules are quite strict I guess but I'm not that bothered about it, for example, you can't go toilet during lessons (it'd be locked anyway).
are you allowed to go out during lunch?

best way to describe it: happy/healthy/relaxed atmosphere

rules are quite strict I guess but I'm not that bothered about it, for example, you can't go toilet during lessons (it'd be locked anyway).
Original post by THEINDIANBATMAN
are you allowed to go out during lunch?

no, you can't leave the school site. it's like secondary school, you have to be in all day.

If you don’t mind me asking, what exactly did you get? Like what was your grade point average
Original post by Unknownxmx
If you don’t mind me asking, what exactly did you get? Like what was your grade point average

1A* 5As 2Bs 3Cs, my grade point average was 6.4. I heard it's been changed to 7 now.
I went induction today and it was useful. Did anyone understand what they meant by saying everyone does AS first? I thought we do all exams at the end of year 13?

Anyone from Brampton know which book they are using for Biology?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Biology-Level-Student-Book/dp/0198351771/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=a+level+aqa+biology&qid=1561127529&s=gateway&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Biology-Level-Year-Student-Book/dp/0198351763/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=a+level+aqa+biology&qid=1561127529&s=gateway&sr=8-6
Original post by emily.atk1998
I went induction today and it was useful. Did anyone understand what they meant by saying everyone does AS first? I thought we do all exams at the end of year 13?

Anyone from Brampton know which book they are using for Biology?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Biology-Level-Student-Book/dp/0198351771/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=a+level+aqa+biology&qid=1561127529&s=gateway&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Biology-Level-Year-Student-Book/dp/0198351763/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=a+level+aqa+biology&qid=1561127529&s=gateway&sr=8-6

I wasn't there, but some of this information can be found online. The sixth form's awarding body for biology is AQA.

Also, I believe that when they said 'everyone does AS first', they implied that students sit the exams for their subject's AS qualification at the end of the lower sixth as well as the exams for their A Level qualification at the end of the upper sixth.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Tolgarda
I wasn't there, but some of this information can be found online. The sixth form's awarding body for biology is AQA.

Also, I believe that when they said 'everyone does AS first', they implied that students sit the exams for their subject's AS qualification at the end of the lower sixth as well as the exams for their A Level qualification at the end of the upper sixth.

Yeah, I was there and I can validate that.

The AS qualifications do not count towards your linear A levels, so you would be tested on the same modules again at the end of year 13, but the idea is they can show externally validated grades to universities.
Original post by Tolgarda

The AS qualifications do not count towards your linear A levels, so you would be tested on the same modules again at the end of year 13, but the idea is they can show externally validated grades to universities
Original post by A Revolutionary

The AS qualifications do not count towards your linear A levels, so you would be tested on the same modules again at the end of year 13, but the idea is they can show externally validated grades to universities.

Yeah, I already knew that aha. I think they use a much more effective system.
Possibly, but I think for some people, the pressure of having to do certificated exams at the end of year 12, can be quite high

Latest