The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Does UCL accept students who miss their grades?

I've firmed UCL and the conditions are A*AA. Is there any chance UCL will accept me if I get A*ABB as well as an A in EPQ?
It will entirely depend on their decision on results day. Sorry I can't give a better or more optimistic answer :redface:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by barror1
It will entirely depend on their decision on results day. Sorry I can't give a better or more optimistic answer :redface:

Do they usually review personal statements when making decisions on results day or is it just based on grades?
Original post by Anonymous
@Dooneso they usually review personal statements when making decisions on results day or is it just based on grades?

I'm not 100% on this (@Doones might be able to help) but I believe personal statements are only used when deciding who to call for interview.
I mean I guess they could use marks from your in-interview assessment (if you did one), but other than that I think it would be purely based on grades.
Reply 4
Bump
Reply 5
Bump

Probably best to contact UCL direct and ask them. :smile:

And it would be great if you could update the thread with what they say. :yy:
Reply 6
Original post by Doones
Probably best to contact UCL direct and ask them. :smile:

And it would be great if you could update the thread with what they say. :yy:

Should I contact them on results day instead?
Reply 7

They'd be busier then. Best to call before
I missed my grade by 1 mark. They didn't take me. They said if a remark changed things within a certain time frame then they would take me back.

My offer was already lowered and the grade I missed was the most important subject for my course. Also they didn't care bout my EPQ
Reply 9
Original post by SuperHuman98
I missed my grade by 1 mark. They didn't take me. They said if a remark changed things within a certain time frame then they would take me back.

My offer was already lowered and the grade I missed was the most important subject for my course. Also they didn't care bout my EPQ

That's brutal! What course was this for and where did you end up at?
That's brutal! What course was this for and where did you end up at?

History. and then I didn't really like my Insurance so I went to Nottingham through Clearing :smile:
I've firmed UCL and the conditions are A*AA. Is there any chance UCL will accept me if I get A*ABB as well as an A in EPQ?

there is not a yes or no. Its variable on each course, each admissions tutor and other factors such as how the UCL applicants do as a whole, if more people than average have firmed their offer then its less likely, similarly if they have slightly less firm choice applicants then its more likely.

Also how your cohort does as a whole, each year the standards achieved at A-level are slightly lower or higher, this will impact the chances.

Other factors include what subject you got the grades for example: if you want to study Maths and u get A*A in Math & further math they'll probably be more lenient on other subjects, but if u were to B's in the subjects most correlated to your subject its less likely, to make it more confusing some admission tutors look at your UMS scores some dont...

So the reality is its impossible to say,
Reply 12

No, ask now - but don't expect a positive answer :wink:
Reply 13
UCL History Admissions Tutor here ... as an earlier poster noted, it depends entirely on the distribution of marks on the day. If enough people hit their offer then we won't take any near misses. If they don't, then we'll look for what we call 'equivalence' first: if we asked for AAA and you get A*AB then you've missed your offer - but you've met the overall equivalent. Within those students with equivalence we'll take another look at your application as a whole: subject mix, personal statement, reference, and make a call. Sorry not to be able to be more precise.
Original post by uclhist
UCL History Admissions Tutor here ... as an earlier poster noted, it depends entirely on the distribution of marks on the day. If enough people hit their offer then we won't take any near misses. If they don't, then we'll look for what we call 'equivalence' first: if we asked for AAA and you get A*AB then you've missed your offer - but you've met the overall equivalent. Within those students with equivalence we'll take another look at your application as a whole: subject mix, personal statement, reference, and make a call. Sorry not to be able to be more precise.

I actually think this is an excellent answer, open & honest.

Life would be much easier for A-level students if every admissions department was more honest (lets face it there are plenty of departments who manipulate the process, particularly Unis that advertise AAB then take BCC..). Every few months it gets brought up, but the old videos from Notts physics admission tutor on youtube are invaluable for A-level students to see.
Original post by mnot
I actually think this is an excellent answer, open & honest.

Life would be much easier for A-level students if every admissions department was more honest (lets face it there are plenty of departments who manipulate the process, particularly Unis that advertise AAB then take BCC..). Every few months it gets brought up, but the old videos from Notts physics admission tutor on youtube are invaluable for A-level students to see.

Which videos?
Which videos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvvF7-5SIJ8&t=
theres a whole bunch of videos released by these guys about UCAS and applying, might be slightly out of date on some of the videos but the content is top stuff.
Worried about the same thing. Got the same offer for law and was pretty confident I’d make it until maths screwed over and made me realise I’m gonna get a B ffs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending