The Student Room Group

What do you think of astrology?

Posting in chat for traffic. Not the mystic meg astrology, but birth charts, rising, sun, moon etc. I’m a Scorpio rising, Virgo cusp/ Libra sun and Taurus moon- after looking up what they meant they’re strangely accurate 😁 just curious to know!

Scroll to see replies

Don't believe in it but still find it entertaining to read about, despite knowing it's all extremely general things that could apply to absolutely anybody. I'm sure you'd relate to many other star signs' descriptions, etc
Reply 2
Nonsense, but harmless fun
Vedic Astrology is pretty accurate, it just needs your time of birth, date of birth and place of birth to create a birth chart to read from.
I love reading about it 😂 I'm a gemini sun, Taurus moon and virgo rising. Love winding my mates up about it and doing their natal charts hahah
I think it’s pretty irrelevant.
Reply 6
They only seem accurate because they're general enough to apply to anyone.
I think people just like the jargon.
Original post by Sinnoh
They only seem accurate because they're general enough to apply to anyone.
I think people just like the jargon.

Time of Birth
Date of Birth
Place of Birth (for timezone)

These 3 things can produce a birth chart, which maps out your life based on your karma from previous lives. The hindus use it when a child is born.
Reply 8
Original post by maachu_pichuu
Time of Birth
Date of Birth
Place of Birth (for timezone)

These 3 things can produce a birth chart, which maps out your life based on your karma from previous lives. The hindus use it when a child is born.

So what sort of things might one say?
Original post by Sinnoh

Everything, it maps out your life based on your karma from previous lives. It's like how some people are born poor in africa and some people are born rich in the US, the womb you pick has a big effect on your life. Warren Buffett once said the chances of being born in america in 1930 were 50/1, if he had been born somewhere else, he would not be Warren Buffett. The market system rewards people like him in america, but those skills are useless in Somalia.

The main birth chart has 12 houses and the 7 planets and 2 eclipse points in them, the 12 houses also have the signs of the zodiac, with the first house having the sign that was on the eastern horizon at the time of your birth. The main birth chart will show your life, education, spirituality, income, husband/wife, job etc, but there are divisional charts which show things like education or career in particular.

The main thing people look at is for example where the moon is placed, what sign and house is it in, what nakshatra is it in (27 nakshatras in 12 zodiac signs). The moon is the mind and controls your emotions. For example my moon is in the 5th house of speculation, so my finances always fluctuate with the stock market, I can be up or down £500 every day just from this.

You would also look at the position of the other planets and which lords are in which house. For example if Aries is in the 1st house and Mars in your chart is in the 9th house, you would say the 1st lord is in the 9th house, since Mars rules Aries.
Original post by Sinnoh

It effectively shows the most probable destiny you will have, based on the karma you need to burn in this life. The planets have basically been set in form at the time of your birth to dispense karma, you can fight them to a degree, but the bill needs to be paid at the end of the day.

bear, are you using the sidereal zodiac though?
bear, are you using the sidereal zodiac though?

my prognostications are based on the ancient lore of the Toltec
Can you show me any evidence for this? For previous lives and karma? For the 'accuracy' of these things, other than people saying "OMG I am SO adventurous this is so real"
Or is it purely based on belief?
Original post by ProperLad
Can you show me any evidence for this? For previous lives and karma? For the 'accuracy' of these things, other than people saying "OMG I am SO adventurous this is so real"

Give me:

Time of birth
Date of birth
Place of birth (for timezone)

If you can give me those things, I will copy and paste some information about the position of your moon in your birth chart and you tell me if it matches up.
If you can give me those things, I will copy and paste some information about the position of your moon in your birth chart and you tell me if it matches up.

That's not what I'm asking. I'm asking if you can give me any actual evidence that what you're giving me is correct. I understand you can say "well if it matches why not believe in it" but I could say that about penguins. They have wings but can they fly?

(That being said I'll PM you the info)
Nonsense. I’m the one who gets to decide what I do and the course of my life, not some random constellation.
That's not what I'm asking. I'm asking if you can give me any actual evidence that what you're giving me is correct. I understand you can say "well if it matches why not believe in it" but I could say that about penguins. They have wings but can they fly?

(That being said I'll PM you the info)

This stuff is from the ancient hindu vedas, the hindus were smart, the guy who created the atom bomb (robert j oppenheimer), used to read the vedas for inspiration. It all comes to karma at the end of the day, what you sow you reap, in this life or the lives to come. The soul keeps finding new bodies to burn off karma, the birth chart just shows where the karma needs to be burnt in this life. Eventually the soul get tired of playing this game and gives up desire, then it is free from the cycle of birth and death.

Quick Reply

Latest