The Student Room Group

What is harder to catch up in History or Geography?

I am about to drop a subject but am forced to change it to something else. It's the end of Year 10 in 3 weaks and want to know which is easiest to catch up in and learn everything for someone completely new to it both subjects.
-Exam board AQA -GCSE
Reply 1
I don't know about Geography, but there is A LOT of content in History just to warn you...
Dont fo history like ^^ said there is way too much. Not like geography has any less but it's easier to fit in your brain beacuse everything connects easily and doesn't have like millions of dates involved.
Reply 3
Depends what kind of a learner you are. I found history was fairly decent as I have a good memory and could remember the dates fairly well and at gcse you only need an understanding of concepts mixed with a few dates. New gcse does have a lot of topics. I didn't take geography but again there's lots to learn, but it is more science-y and does fit together well so is perhaps better if you're good at seeing the better picture or you prefer sciences.

For advice in catching up, photocopy notes and then do a shed tonne of practice questions. Best way to get your technique as good as possible. Do a couple, get the teacher to mark them, get markschemes and examiner notes (online) and use them to help. Look at examples. There's no point in doing lots of practice of the same technique. Make sure you learn every time.

Make a note of everything you don't understand and ask your teacher to explain them to you during a lunch time. Honestly you will appreciate it later.

Perhaps in terms of copying up, make revision notes rather than class notes (aka mindmaps, flashcards, whatever works best) for quicker notes and better understanding.
Yes history is hard, but I did the wrong set of questions and still got a 6 :rofl:
According to my mates geography was an absolute pisstake
Original post by Glaz
Yes history is hard, but I did the wrong set of questions and still got a 6 :rofl:
According to my mates geography was an absolute pisstake

Geo exams are literal sh*t if you read the question wrong and answer it wrong beacuse they'll just give you a big 0.
Original post by HateSchx
Geo exams are literal sh*t if you read the question wrong and answer it wrong beacuse they'll just give you a big 0.

I got a dig bick
you that read wrong
that awkward when you read that wrong too
and said 'moment' after awkward
this is awkward
Original post by Glaz
I got a dig bick
you that read wrong
this is awkward

No comment 😹
Reply 8
:lolwut:
Original post by Glaz
I got a dig bick
you that read wrong
this is awkward
Original post by The Mogg
:lolwut:

b a m b o o z l e d
Hey I just finished GCSEs and done both History and Geography AQA. To me, I would say that Geography is easier than History.

The 6 markers and 9(+3) markers on Geography are easier to guess what questions are likely to come up to than History

Geography
3 papers
Paper 3- booklet given 12 weeks before to annotate but some could just don't revise for paper 3 and wing it on the day.

History
2 papers
4 sections/ 4 different units/ time periods
last questions are 20(+4) marks I believe
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11
Looked back at these comments the day before I'm officially dropping...thank you for this amazing comment it really helped me decide which subject to pick! jk u dum dum
Original post by Glaz
I got a dig bick
you that read wrong
this is awkward
Original post by newkid4003
Looked back at these comments the day before I'm officially dropping...thank you for this amazing comment it really helped me decide which subject to pick! jk u dum dum

:hat2:

Quick Reply

Latest