The Student Room Group

Could Hunt have a chance of winning with Rory Stewart on a ticket?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nulli tertius
Johnson is politically accident prone.

I suspect Norma had things to say about Edwina Currie but what was said remained behind closed doors.

The account I read is he was relatively calm and she was the one screaming and throwing things. Spilt some wine on her sofa which triggered it. It must have been quite a domestic because all the neighbours in the surrounding flats have been chased down by the media and they are all speaking.

The recording by one of them on his phone. I did see someone suggest he was looking into getting an injunction.
Would it be illegal to make such a recording?
Would Boris have the right to stop it being distributed?

Just curious on the basis of his argument. Supposedly it would be something privacy based?
I cant see why the neighbour cant record it, especially as he wouldnt want the domestic taking place in his property by proxy.

All I see now are Boris supporters claiming its all some sort of conspiracy by the left wing, remainers, the EU and his political enemies.....
Original post by 999tigger
The account I read is he was relatively calm and she was the one screaming and throwing things. Spilt some wine on her sofa which triggered it. It must have been quite a domestic because all the neighbours in the surrounding flats have been chased down by the media and they are all speaking.

He said "get off my fffing laptop" in a calm and statesmanlike manner, did he; a cross between Pitt the Elder, Gladstone and Churchill

The recording by one of them on his phone. I did see someone suggest he was looking into getting an injunction.
Would it be illegal to make such a recording?

I think it is processing personal data, but he almost certainly had several legitimate purposes in recording it: it was important evidence of a crime was being committed; possible complaints to the landlord or local council about the nuisance caused by the neighbours

Would Boris have the right to stop it being distributed?

Just curious on the basis of his argument. Supposedly it would be something privacy based?

I think in normal circumstances probably "yes". I don't think a court would have been allowed to report the substance of a row involving a reality TV star. At best they would only be allowed to report the fact of the row. The public interest in the character of someone seeking the Prime Ministership is somewhat wider and the behaving in such as way as to divert police resources from other duties is also relevant.

I cant see why the neighbour cant record it, especially as he wouldnt want the domestic taking place in his property by proxy.

All I see now are Boris supporters claiming its all some sort of conspiracy by the left wing, remainers, the EU and his political enemies.....

There has been a general loss of reason amongst Brexiteers. A staggering proportion of Conservative members are willing to sacrifice the Union with Scotland to deliver Brexit* and I suspect even more would sell Ulster down the river.

*I regard this as quite bizarre, because any PM could phone Nicola up, offer Scottish independence and have any form of Brexit they wanted within 24 hours.
(edited 4 years ago)
All of them?

As youve said youd do nothing, which at least keeps it simple for you.

Have you never heard a couple arguing? It can sound bad without being that much.
Please don't pretend to know me or my sensibilities, the point here is that someone has decided to go to the press with a recording of this"terrible" incident thus definitely bringing into question their motives.
Original post by ColinDent
Have you never heard a couple arguing? It can sound bad without being that much.
Please don't pretend to know me or my sensibilities, the point here is that someone has decided to go to the press with a recording of this"terrible" incident thus definitely bringing into question their motives.

Have you dealt with victms of domestic abuse? I have. Some of it is easy to recognise as just a domestic, then it can get into grey areas where you are better safe than sorry. Its the risk you take when you have a shouting match and are a celebrity.
The recording in this day and age is perfectly reasonable imo and technologically easy. It can be used as evidence for the police, complaint to LL, Council or public interest for someone in the news and about to be PM. I highly doubt if this was Khan or Corbyn there would be such an outcry.
If the man had put microphones in the wall maybe, but they were loud enough for it to come through the walls. Several neighbours heard them and when you live in a communal block then you have to remember you have neighbours.
Have you dealt with victms of domestic abuse? I have. Some of it is easy to recognise as just a domestic, then it can get into grey areas where you are better safe than sorry. Its the risk you take when you have a shouting match and are a celebrity.
The recording in this day and age is perfectly reasonable imo and technologically easy. It can be used as evidence for the police, complaint to LL, Council or public interest for someone in the news and about to be PM. I highly doubt if this was Khan or Corbyn there would be such an outcry.
If the man had put microphones in the wall maybe, but they were loud enough for it to come through the walls. Several neighbours heard them and when you live in a communal block then you have to remember you have neighbours.

I would be equally as dismissive if it were Khan or Corbyn, there was obviously no actual abuse occurring hence the police taking the matter no further so again it points to someone having an agenda.
If the police were informed of, and had to deal with, every late night spat that got a bit shouty then there would be none left to catch people speeding or not bother turning up to real incidents.
I would be equally as dismissive if it were Khan or Corbyn, there was obviously no actual abuse occurring hence the police taking the matter no further so again it points to someone having an agenda.
If the police were informed of, and had to deal with, every late night spat that got a bit shouty then there would be none left to catch people speeding or not bother turning up to real incidents.

Now you are just showing how little you understand about the nature of domestic violence. Horrific.
The only people to make the judgement call were those there at the time, but you seem to know better.
Original post by nulli tertius
It is clearly real. The police aren’t going to take action for a domestic where both parties want no action taken unless they are seriously concerned about someone’s welfare. Ultimately this is a lovers’ tiff of the kind that happens every night of the week up and down the land by people who aren’t trying to become Prime Minister.

Have the police ever been called to one of your rows with your partner? No, me neither.

I’m not someone who lives next door to Boris Johnson who obviously has a political axe to grind as they send the incident off to the guardian.....

I completely agree with all your comments on this today.
Original post by paul514
I’m not someone who lives next door to Boris Johnson who obviously has a political axe to grind as they send the incident off to the guardian.....

Obviously they have a political axe to grind but that is their right. No politician has the right to dictate who is entitled to criticise his conduct.

Hunt will lead the Conservative Party to defeat but Boris may well destroy the Party.
Now you are just showing how little you understand about the nature of domestic violence. Horrific.
The only people to make the judgement call were those there at the time, but you seem to know better.

No I believe that there were other motives for doing so,not every argument is domestic abuse, in fact only a very very small percentage would constitute being classed as such.
I'm just not the virtue signalling sort you see, hard to understand for many of you I realise.
People who are abused domestically should rightly get whatever help is necessary, but Mr Johnson's girlfriend is not one of them and to continue to try to treat it as such is quite frankly ridiculous.
By the way have you heard the tape?
No I believe that there were other motives for doing so,not every argument is domestic abuse, in fact only a very very small percentage would constitute being classed as such.
I'm just not the virtue signalling sort you see, hard to understand for many of you I realise.
People who are abused domestically should rightly get whatever help is necessary, but Mr Johnson's girlfriend is not one of them and to continue to try to treat it as such is quite frankly ridiculous.
By the way have you heard the tape?

I never said it was. Nope you are just ignorant of how domestic violence can manifest itself. If you are accusing me of virtue signalling then you are disgusting.
(edited 4 years ago)
I never said it was. Nope you are just ignorant of how domestic violence can manifest itself. If you are accusing me of virtue signalling then you are disgusting.

I’m disgusting then because in my view you are.

No I'm not accusing you of that, I'm accusing the person who was so upset that they phoned the police, but when that didn't have the desired effect they then contacted the papers, clearly politically motivated.
Oh and out of interest I've read a few papers articles on this now and the difference between what they actually say is quite interesting, this is from the sun ( I know, but you should be able to try to take in all arguments)

Nursery worker Fatima, 32, lives next door to the couple with her four-year-old son.

She said: “I heard a lot of noise, mostly screaming and shouting. It lasted about ten minutes.

“I was watching something on TV, I had to mute it. I’ve never heard anything like it before.

“I heard three or four glass objects being thrown while she was shouting.

He had a much calmer voice and was telling her to calm down, but she was still chucking things about.

“She sounded very angry, shouting and swearing. It did cross my mind to call the police but then they turned up and I was reassured.

“I saw one police car and a van, they stayed about ten minutes and left. Then it was all quiet for the rest of the night.”

Please note the highlighted part of the statement that was not reported in any of the more left leaning papers, it does shed a slightly different light on things.
Like I have already said most arguments do not need to be reported to the police, but if you feel that makes me disgusting then so be it, I really don't care about your opinion of me.
Original post by paul514
I’m disgusting then because in my view you are.

Feel free to explain yourself then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending