The Student Room Group

Hola. Spanish GCSE help please.

Hello.
So I am in Year 9 and I am moving onto Spanish. It's a complicated story, but I barely even know a word. I did French, and now I am onto Spanish. Could I please have some advice on the following:

1. Are there any good websites that I could use to learn this language?
2. When do I use 'Ser ' and when do I use 'Estar'?
3. Do you have any tips on pronounciation (especially letters v and z)?
4. I am really confused about subject pronouns. In French they are:
Je- I
Tu- You (informal singular)
Il/elle/on- He/she/it/one, you or we.
Nous- we
Vous- you (plural formal)
Ils/elles- they

But in Spanish apparently it's like
I
You (singular informal)
He/she/it or you (singular formal)
We
You (plural informal)
They or you (plural formal)

So when I address a formal person, I would have to use the he/she form of a verb or something. And when I want to talk to a group of people formally I would have to use the they form of a verb? Or is that completely wrong.

Thank you and sorry to be a bother. 🤤
Reply 1
1. I used a site called Language Perfect for my gcse revision which was provided by my school to build vocab. Perhaps you could ask your school if they can offer this? Although, quizlet, espanol extra are great too

2. Both Ser and Estar mean 'to be' but ser is used to describe a state that doesn't change e.g: Soy timida (I'm shy) - that's part of your personality so it isn't temporary, e.g you won't wake up the next day and suddenly be loud and outgoing, (unless you're high). Estar is to be in a current temporary state, e.g: estoy enferma (I'm sick) - you won't stay sick forever so you use 'estar'.

3. Best way to pronounce spanish words is to SAY WHAT YOU SEE. I would say this is what makes spanish easier than other languages, you literally read every letter of the word as you see it without having to learn sounds for combinations of letters like in english "sh" is a different sound altogether.
Tips: "rr" - roll the 'r's',
- 'c' - 'th',
- 'j' - 'h'

4. Yo - I
- you (singular)
Usted - he/she/it
Nosotros - we
Vosotros - you plural
Ellos (they)

If you're talking to a person you don't know (so it is a formal convo), OR if you are talking to more than 1 person, you use the 'you plural' conjugation.

Note that all the pronouns have different verb endings which you need to learn for 'ar', 'er' and 'ir' ending verbs, as well as some irregular verbs. Don't worry if this doesn't make sense at the moment, it will do and don't stress - spanish is pretty easy once you learn the basics! Good luck x
Glad you have found someone to help. I was just looking up "Spanish" for you, and there was your thread! Could have done this in French or German, and can recognise Spanish, but it's all a bit rusty to me.
Original post by MysticalUnicorn🦄
Hello.
So I am in Year 9 and I am moving onto Spanish. It's a complicated story, but I barely even know a word. I did French, and now I am onto Spanish. Could I please have some advice on the following:

Je- I
Nous- we
Ils/elles- they

I
You (singular informal)
We
You (plural informal)

So when I address a formal person, I would have to use the he/she form of a verb or something. And when I want to talk to a group of people formally I would have to use the they form of a verb? Or is that completely wrong.

BBC Bitesize may be good

https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/subjects/z4dqxnb
Hello.

Je- I
Nous- we
Ils/elles- they

I
You (singular informal)
We
You (plural informal)

These Usborne books | (top two on the page) are for absolute beginners (easier than GCSE). If you're starting GCSE in September, it may help to leaf through these in the summer for a bit of a head start

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Usborne+Spanish&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
Hello.

Je- I
Nous- we
Ils/elles- they

I
You (singular informal)
We
You (plural informal)

I'm doing Spanish as well for GCSE but I started learning spanish in yr 8.
[2] "How you feel and where you are, always use the verb estar" - it's a pretty good general rule.
Estar means "is situated" ie where is the bank? (imagine the word situated on the end of the sentence" But I am happy wouldn't be estar
Original post by computeryboi
[2] "How you feel and where you are, always use the verb estar" - it's a pretty good general rule.
Tysm! I use quizlet and it really helps, but I'm going to try espanol extra.

So, 'Ser' is used as a permanent expression or as something that won't change (e.g: Soy inglesa) and 'estar' is used for things that could change, such as mood or illness etc?

I find Spanish pronounciation so weird compared to French lol, the French underpronounce and the Spanish overpronounce. I think I've got the hang of the r and c, had no clue about the j so thank you. Do you happen to know how to pronounce the 'v' or 'z'? I'm unsure about the z but whenever I listen to the 'v' it sounds like a mixture of 'b' and 'm'. This is probably wrong lol. 😟

Ah, so the prnouns are pretty similar to French then. You use 'Tù' for informal conversations and 'Vosotros' for formal conversations. Is that right? 🤤

I've begun learning the present tense and have just moved on from it to the near future tense. I think the present tense is OK, I just got a bit confused when I thought that the pronouns were different lmao.

Thank you for the support. Xx
Original post by hehe_x
1. I used a site called Language Perfect for my gcse revision which was provided by my school to build vocab. Perhaps you could ask your school if they can offer this? Although, quizlet, espanol extra are great too

2. Both Ser and Estar mean 'to be' but ser is used to describe a state that doesn't change e.g: Soy timida (I'm shy) - that's part of your personality so it isn't temporary, e.g you won't wake up the next day and suddenly be loud and outgoing, (unless you're high). Estar is to be in a current temporary state, e.g: estoy enferma (I'm sick) - you won't stay sick forever so you use 'estar'.

3. Best way to pronounce spanish words is to SAY WHAT YOU SEE. I would say this is what makes spanish easier than other languages, you literally read every letter of the word as you see it without having to learn sounds for combinations of letters like in english "sh" is a different sound altogether.
Tips: "rr" - roll the 'r's',
- 'c' - 'th',
- 'j' - 'h'

4. Yo - I
- you (singular)
Usted - he/she/it
Nosotros - we
Vosotros - you plural
Ellos (they)

If you're talking to a person you don't know (so it is a formal convo), OR if you are talking to more than 1 person, you use the 'you plural' conjugation.

Note that all the pronouns have different verb endings which you need to learn for 'ar', 'er' and 'ir' ending verbs, as well as some irregular verbs. Don't worry if this doesn't make sense at the moment, it will do and don't stress - spanish is pretty easy once you learn the basics! Good luck x
Thank you Oxford Mum! You are absolutely amazing, even if you barely remember Spanish. 🙃
Original post by Oxford Mum
Glad you have found someone to help. I was just looking up "Spanish" for you, and there was your thread! Could have done this in French or German, and can recognise Spanish, but it's all a bit rusty to me.

Ah, these are going to really help me. Thanks, I have to start early because everybody's ahead of me. Like lots. 😝
These Usborne books | (top two on the page) are for absolute beginners (easier than GCSE). If you're starting GCSE in September, it may help to leaf through these in the summer for a bit of a head start

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Usborne+Spanish&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
Why are the others ahead of you?
Thank you Oxford Mum! You are absolutely amazing, even if you barely remember Spanish. 🙃

Ah, these are going to really help me. Thanks, I have to start early because everybody's ahead of me. Like lots. 😝
I have a bit of a situation lol. Best of luck.
Original post by D_Patel14
I'm doing Spanish as well for GCSE but I started learning spanish in yr 8.
That's mysterious
I have a bit of a situation lol. Best of luck.
The best tip for Spanish is if you haven’t picked it as an option already then DON’T it is soooooooo hard I can’t even tell you
Reply 14
hi!! i'm in year 10 at the moment and am doing spanish gcse (and i don't mean to flex but i'm pretty good at it), so if you need any help/explanation/links to quizlets let me know and i'd love to help :smile: my school uses the aqa textbooks (link) which are super helpful as they have lots of exercises and explain the main grammar points really well.

as for the pronouns, if you're speaking informally to someone you usually would speak directly to them (ie. or vosotros) while if you were speaking formally you wouldn't address them directly (ie. he/she/it - ello/ella/lo or they - ellos/ellas). it's just a politeness thing i guess!!

good luck :smile:
That's why I'm called MysticalUnicorn. 😄
That's mysterious

Oh ok. I'll keep that in mind- thank you.
Original post by Elle1411
The best tip for Spanish is if you haven’t picked it as an option already then DON’T it is soooooooo hard I can’t even tell you

Thank you! If I get stuck with something in the future, do you mind if I PM you?

So if you know the person you would use tù/vosotros and if you didn't, you would address them with he/she/it or they? I think that makes sense.

Thank you again!
Original post by doks
hi!! i'm in year 10 at the moment and am doing spanish gcse (and i don't mean to flex but i'm pretty good at it), so if you need any help/explanation/links to quizlets let me know and i'd love to help :smile: my school uses the aqa textbooks (link) which are super helpful as they have lots of exercises and explain the main grammar points really well.

as for the pronouns, if you're speaking informally to someone you usually would speak directly to them (ie. or vosotros) while if you were speaking formally you wouldn't address them directly (ie. he/she/it - ello/ella/lo or they - ellos/ellas). it's just a politeness thing i guess!!

good luck :smile:
Reply 16
Thank you! If I get stuck with something in the future, do you mind if I PM you?

So if you know the person you would use tù/vosotros and if you didn't, you would address them with he/she/it or they? I think that makes sense.

Thank you again!

of course! pm me anytime!

glad you understand it now :smile:

no problem!
1. Not too sure about any websites to learn the actual language but when coming across new words, use WordReference, not SpanishDict or Google Translate as they often give wrong translations.

2. Best way for me to grasp SER and ESTAR was using the words DOCTOR and PLACE.
Unknown-16.jpegUnknown-15.jpeg
3. V's are pronounced as B's (Vivir sounds like 'Bibir'). Z will depend on the word. Listen to Spanish to help you, could be podcasts or even music but be careful as there are several accents especially within Latinamerica. Try the show 'ELITE' on Netflix or 'Skam España' but make sure you're old enough :biggrin:
4. Remember the pronouns like this

yo I (Je)
you (singular familiar) (Tu)
usted you (singular formal)
él, ella he, she, it- as 'it' could be masculine or feminine (Il/elle/on)
nosotros, nosotras we (Nous)
vosotros, vosotras you (plural familiar) (Vous)
ustedes you (plural formal)
ellos, ellas they (Ils/elles)

Buena suerte! Send me a PM if you have any problems :smile:

Hello.

Je- I
Nous- we
Ils/elles- they

I
You (singular informal)
We
You (plural informal)

Hello.

Je- I
Nous- we
Ils/elles- they

I
You (singular informal)
We
You (plural informal)

This is a good website: https://www.languagesonline.org.uk/Hotpotatoes/spanishindex.html
Reply 19
Yep, you've got ser and estar spot on.

The 'v' is just pronounced 'v' but you might hear it as a 'b' sometimes with native speakers. It's perfectly correct and okay to just say 'v' though, don't feel it's wrong if you don't say it as a 'b'.

The 'z' is usually 'th', like in 'feliz (happy)', you would say 'felith' however for 'zapatillas' (trainers) you just say it as a 'z'. It sounds confusing but I'm sure you'll get the hang of it and tbh whichever board you're doing for gcses pronunciation isn't that big of a deal.

Yeah pronouns are like French. It can be confusing to switch from french to spanish lol cus they're so similar with spelling and all.

No problem, glad to have helped x
Tysm! I use quizlet and it really helps, but I'm going to try espanol extra.

So, 'Ser' is used as a permanent expression or as something that won't change (e.g: Soy inglesa) and 'estar' is used for things that could change, such as mood or illness etc?

I find Spanish pronounciation so weird compared to French lol, the French underpronounce and the Spanish overpronounce. I think I've got the hang of the r and c, had no clue about the j so thank you. Do you happen to know how to pronounce the 'v' or 'z'? I'm unsure about the z but whenever I listen to the 'v' it sounds like a mixture of 'b' and 'm'. This is probably wrong lol. 😟

Ah, so the prnouns are pretty similar to French then. You use 'Tù' for informal conversations and 'Vosotros' for formal conversations. Is that right? 🤤

I've begun learning the present tense and have just moved on from it to the near future tense. I think the present tense is OK, I just got a bit confused when I thought that the pronouns were different lmao.

Thank you for the support. Xx
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending