The Student Room Group

I rear ended a BMW, it's going to cost me over 1k

Happened last Monday, it was wet I probably wasn't paying good enough attention.
First car up ahead came to sudden stop and the beemer followed, I tried and slid into the back of him.
I was already slowing coming up to a bend, so I was only going like 20km if even.

His tow hook flipped up and into his back bumper, turns out it sheared a bolt and luckily no structural damage was done.
But the bumper will probably cost me over a grand to repair/replace.

The guy was very nice about it, I felt sorry for him getting involved by no fault of his own.

So I'm out 1k+ and now I probably can't afford to go back to college.

Scroll to see replies

Education is more important, I'd take the hit on insurance instead.
Reply 2
Original post by SeanLaurentParis
Happened last Monday, it was wet I probably wasn't paying good enough attention.
First car up ahead came to sudden stop and the beemer followed, I tried and slid into the back of him.
I was already slowing coming up to a bend, so I was only going like 20km if even.

His tow hook flipped up and into his back bumper, turns out it sheared a bolt and luckily no structural damage was done.
But the bumper will probably cost me over a grand to repair/replace.

The guy was very nice about it, I felt sorry for him getting involved by no fault of his own.

So I'm out 1k+ and now I probably can't afford to go back to college.

Haven't you already posted this? Pretty sure I explained how you need to inform your insurer regardless of whether you intend to claim..
Original post by IWMTom
Haven't you already posted this? Pretty sure I explained how you need to inform your insurer regardless of whether you intend to claim..

Not on cars and motoring.

Sorry didn't realise you're the gospel and you've spoken, Tom.
Original post by nevershear
Education is more important, I'd take the hit on insurance instead.

I outright can't afford to.
If I do I won't get insured, so I won't be able to get in and out to college or to a job, I need my car more than I need to go to college this year.. despite how much I want to.

It's just a sh*t situation for me, it would be me to hit the most expensive car around me, while I'm saving for something more than shoes or sh*t
Reply 5
Not on cars and motoring.

Sorry didn't realise you're the gospel and you've spoken, Tom.

Get your thread moved next time instead of reposting - better yet, post in the right place the first time around.

If I do I won't get insured, so I won't be able to get in and out to college or to a job, I need my car more than I need to go to college this year.. despite how much I want to.

It's just a sh*t situation for me, it would be me to hit the most expensive car around me, while I'm saving for something more than shoes or sh*t

A cancellation will **** you even more.

Ik this sounds sarky, but can you not get a bus? A car these days are seen as a must, just allow the fact you've had an accident, like all of us will end up doing, and move on.

Have you ran quotes, now with a crash on the record?
Original post by IWMTom
Get your thread moved next time instead of reposting - better yet, post in the right place the first time around.

A cancellation will **** you even more.

Better yet get off your imaginary high horse, starbucks.
It won't, I don't know what system you've got in the UK but here in Ireland the majority of insurance claims are for right offs and serious incidents (where someone was serious injured, not necessarily vehicular damage). It's not used for fender benders, certainly not for guys who won't get insured if you so much as claim for a cracked windscreen.
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Ik this sounds sarky, but can you not get a bus? A car these days are seen as a must, just allow the fact you've had an accident, like all of us will end up doing, and move on.

Have you ran quotes, now with a crash on the record?

I'm a named driver, so to run a quote with a crash record it has to go through my father, so regardless of if it doesn't change the premium too much it'll f him and me over, since he has years worth of no claims, not even a speeding ticket.
It'll be on my record for when I want to get insured in my own name which will be expensive regardless.

Edit - I can't get the bus to where I'm going to college, it's a good 30 minute walk from the nearest drop off point.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Better yet get off your imaginary high horse, starbucks.
It won't, I don't know what system you've got in the UK but here in Ireland the majority of insurance claims are for right offs and serious incidents (where someone was serious injured, not necessarily vehicular damage). It's not used for fender benders, certainly not for guys who won't get insured if you so much as claim for a cracked windscreen.

I highly doubt there's much difference in the small print.

People are unreliable - you are relying on the bloke you hit not going to his insurer.. if he changes his mind and does, your policy will be voided for non-disclosure.. good luck getting insured then pal.

It's the cold hard truth - not my fault if you don't like it.

EDIT: You're also risking your dad getting a cancellation on his record too.. real responsible kiddo.
(edited 4 years ago)
I'm a named driver, so to run a quote with a crash record it has to go through my father, so regardless of if it doesn't change the premium too much it'll f him and me over, since he has years worth of no claims, not even a speeding ticket.
It'll be on my record for when I want to get insured in my own name which will be expensive regardless.

Edit - I can't get the bus to where I'm going to college, it's a good 30 minute walk from the nearest drop off point.

Were you driving the car most of the time to college and for your own leisure?
Original post by IWMTom
I highly doubt there's much difference in the small print.

People are unreliable - you are relying on the bloke you hit not going to his insurer.. if he changes his mind and does, your policy will be voided for non-disclosure.. good luck getting insured then pal.

It's the cold hard truth - not my fault if you don't like it.

EDIT: You're also risking your dad getting a cancellation on his record too.. real responsible kiddo.

We've already been through this, pal.
He was very nice, I know him, I know his son, I know his sister, I know his nieces and nephews.
He will not try and pull a fast one.
I am willing to take that risk on someone who I trust.
Because I want to be able to drive.

I've around 3k saved up, I can afford it, I just can't afford to go college and pay off his bill.
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Were you driving the car most of the time to college and for your own leisure?

I don't drive for leisure, I've been out of college for awhile and I've been working and saving up to go back so the driving I have done has been to and from work that's it.

Sorry to hear of your accident - you are just going to have to suck it up. Oh and I walk 30 minutes to the station every morning and 30 minutes every evening on the way home - and I do that 4 days a week for 46 weeks of the year. Not that difficult. Or get a bike
Original post by IWMTom
Do you know his dog too?

This situation is spinning up loads of questions.. especially as to whether you were fronting or not.

Man, be quiet.
You're so full of logic god help us all.

Good thing you're on a forum because no one would respond to you in real life.
Reply 15
Man, be quiet.

Maturity levels through the roof... :facepalm:
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Sorry to hear of your accident - you are just going to have to suck it up. Oh and I walk 30 minutes to the station every morning and 30 minutes every evening on the way home - and I do that 4 days a week for 46 weeks of the year. Not that difficult. Or get a bike

Thank you.
I know I could but I have the option to drive so I'd like to stay out of the rain if I can at all!
Man, be quiet.

He's spending time on your post because he cares about the outcome of this and ultimately his priority is to protect you; don't give him a hard time for it.
Reply 18
I don't drive for leisure, I've been out of college for awhile and I've been working and saving up to go back so the driving I have done has been to and from work that's it.

I believe the reason for the question is the named driver option is only for people who will be able to use the vehicle occasionally but are not the main driver. If you drive the vehicle more than your dad this is known as "fronting", and it isn't legal. It is fraud.
Thank you.
I know I could but I have the option to drive so I'd like to stay out of the rain if I can at all!

Do you really have the option to drive?

Either you can afford the £1000 odd or you cannot, therefore bike/walk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending