The Student Room Group

Recommendation for WW2 movies? (Even could be WW1)

I enjoy WW2 movies like the Book Thief for example. But I really like the setting when it's centered around children or teenagers, not really focusing too much on the actual warfare.
I enjoyed the beginning of private peaceful, but not so much when they became adults. It's just my personal preference; I find it quite of an eye-opener more to the home-based theme around war.
Please don't give me Mary Poppins, I have watched that - and sure it was around world war time, but not heavily centered on it.
It'd be great if someone recommended me more movies? I'm not sure if there are many like those out there...
Years ago I've seen a movie where these children were sent out to the countryside due to war, but I have no idea what it was called.
Many thanks!
Original post by liaente
I enjoy WW2 movies like the Book Thief for example. But I really like the setting when it's centered around children or teenagers, not really focusing too much on the actual warfare.
I enjoyed the beginning of private peaceful, but not so much when they became adults. It's just my personal preference; I find it quite of an eye-opener more to the home-based theme around war.
Please don't give me Mary Poppins, I have watched that - and sure it was around world war time, but not heavily centered on it.
It'd be great if someone recommended me more movies? I'm not sure if there are many like those out there...
Years ago I've seen a movie where these children were sent out to the countryside due to war, but I have no idea what it was called.
Many thanks!

How old are you? I say this because some films are more involved.
Also you do realise that some of the films will be reasonably old?
I believe there was a TV series about children being evacuated during the war and what life was like in the country. I will have a think. I think I have at least 5 in mind.
Reply 2
I watched something in history called swing kids which focused on teenages in nazi Germany who where Hitler youth by day and swing kids at underground club (western music was illegal) by night and shows how their idelogies clash due to nazi\war influence s
Reply 3
Thanks! I'm 16.
And yes, of course - I've watched many old films and enjoyed a lot of them.
Yes that's similar to the one I want to watch!
Original post by 999tigger
How old are you? I say this because some films are more involved.
Also you do realise that some of the films will be reasonably old?
I believe there was a TV series about children being evacuated during the war and what life was like in the country. I will have a think. I think I have at least 5 in mind.
Reply 4
Thank you!!! This seems so cool! Thanks so muchhhhhhhhh <3 :biggrin:
Original post by jmundy
I watched something in history called swing kids which focused on teenages in nazi Germany who where Hitler youth by day and swing kids at underground club (western music was illegal) by night and shows how their idelogies clash due to nazi\war influence s
Original post by liaente
Thanks! I'm 16.
And yes, of course - I've watched many old films and enjoyed a lot of them.
Yes that's similar to the one I want to watch!

Compiled my list. A couple mention the holocaust.

I havent given trailers because I think it spoils a film unfolding on a blank screen.
Given a brief idea what they are about and where set.
Includes foreign films so Children in all countries not just British.

Highlighted what I think are really good films and fit your brief.

WW1
Riddle in the sands- Think they might be teenagers, but its a big adventure mystery about a secret. If you studied WW1 then it puts you in the period.

Railway Children- classic children go to live in the country. Might be too young for you?

A Little Princess
Child sent to boarding school as father goes to War. The film relocated this to New York.

War Horse- Boy and horse adventures.

To serve them all my days- TV series set in a boys school between the wars- main character is a teacher, but its just as much about the pupils.

Pans Labyrinth
If you havent seen, then its a must imo, set at the end of the Spanish Civil War. main Character is a young girl. Has Fantasy aspects. Everything about it works imo.

Devils Backbone
The sister film is a bit supernatural. Boys set in an orphanage- civil war period

WW2

There was a TV series about evacuees during ww2 cnat remeber its name though.

Bedknobs and Broomsticks- Disney children sent off to the countryside. Bit of fantasy.

Nanny Mcphee- Children plus a bit of fantasy

Empire of the Sun- JG Ballards account of growing up at the start of the war when the Japanese occupied Shanghai. Christian Bales early role and a Spielberg film.

Goodbye Mr Tom
Widower takes in 9 year old London Evacuee

Hope and Glory
John Boormans recollection of his fmaily life and growing up during the war.

These mention the holocaust

Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
Young German boy growing up in WW2.

Life is beautiful
Italian. Relationship between father protecting his son.

Au revoir Les Enfants- Set in a school in France in 1943.- Highly rated. Subtitles. French.

Come and See
Boy during German invasion of soviet union.
Violent and real, so maybe not for you.

Diary of Anne Frank- Dutch Jewish girl hiding from the Nazis in Amsterdam. Obviously based on the book, true story and very famous.

Lore German children escape across war torn Germany

Grave of the Fireflies- Anime and will make you cry set at the end of the War Tokyo. Sad so only if in the mood.

Think that is a pretty good list.
(edited 4 years ago)
^ It's "Goodnight Mr Tom" :smile: Used to be my favourite book when I was a kid, though the film is also good.
The testament of youth & The light between oceans x
Reply 8
This is the one i was looking for!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin: thanks so much!
Original post by black tea
^ it's "goodnight mr tom" :smile: used to be my favourite book when i was a kid, though the film is also good.
Reply 9
Thanks for putting so much time into this! I've already made a to-watch-list! My summer's going to be great! :biggrin:
Original post by 999tigger
Compiled my list. A couple mention the holocaust.

I havent given trailers because I think it spoils a film unfolding on a blank screen.
Given a brief idea what they are about and where set.
Includes foreign films so Children in all countries not just British.

Highlighted what I think are really good films and fit your brief.

WW1
Riddle in the sands- Think they might be teenagers, but its a big adventure mystery about a secret. If you studied WW1 then it puts you in the period.

Railway Children- classic children go to live in the country. Might be too young for you?

A Little Princess
Child sent to boarding school as father goes to War. The film relocated this to New York.

War Horse- Boy and horse adventures.

To serve them all my days- TV series set in a boys school between the wars- main character is a teacher, but its just as much about the pupils.

Pans Labyrinth
If you havent seen, then its a must imo, set at the end of the Spanish Civil War. main Character is a young girl. Has Fantasy aspects. Everything about it works imo.

Devils Backbone
The sister film is a bit supernatural. Boys set in an orphanage- civil war period

WW2

There was a TV series about evacuees during ww2 cnat remeber its name though.

Bedknobs and Broomsticks- Disney children sent off to the countryside. Bit of fantasy.

Nanny Mcphee- Children plus a bit of fantasy

Empire of the Sun- JG Ballards account of growing up at the start of the war when the Japanese occupied Shanghai. Christian Bales early role and a Spielberg film.

Goodbye Mr Tom
Widower takes in 9 year old London Evacuee

Hope and Glory
John Boormans recollection of his fmaily life and growing up during the war.

These mention the holocaust

Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
Young German boy growing up in WW2.

Life is beautiful
Italian. Relationship between father protecting his son.

Au revoir Les Enfants- Set in a school in France in 1943.- Highly rated. Subtitles. French.

Come and See
Boy during German invasion of soviet union.
Violent and real, so maybe not for you.

Diary of Anne Frank- Dutch Jewish girl hiding from the Nazis in Amsterdam. Obviously based on the book, true story and very famous.

Lore German children escape across war torn Germany

Grave of the Fireflies- Anime and will make you cry set at the end of the War Tokyo. Sad so only if in the mood.

Think that is a pretty good list.
Reply 10
Omg the trailers look phenomenal!! Tysm! :biggrin:
Original post by nabilahhh
The testament of youth & The light between oceans x
Reply 11
Beautiful films you recommended :biggrin: Ty!!
Original post by mpaprika
The pianist
Operation Arsenal - about teenagers during the Warsaw uprising, really good I definitely recommend
Original post by liaente
Omg the trailers look phenomenal!! Tysm! :biggrin:

You’re very much welcome xx
I’ve watched the testament of youth twice and I highly recommend it!
Hope you like them both x
Reply 13
Thanks again! xx
Original post by nabilahhh
You’re very much welcome xx
I’ve watched the testament of youth twice and I highly recommend it!
Hope you like them both x
how about schindtlers list (cant spell it lol) havent watched it yet, think its about this guy who saves his jewish workers
and the boy in the striped pajamas, been reccomended already but i loved that film 😥
I also like “royal night out” but it’s more to do with the royals and VE Day

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending