The Student Room Group

Was Kate Hopkins racist in her tweet about about the crime in London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
the reason why a lot more ethnic communities are riddled with crime is because of welfare. This incentivises single motherhood(as women don't have to take responsibility for getting pregnant and just go to the government- not their fault, they are just taking advantage of an opportunity that is presented to them) and the people with the lowest IQ's in that community have all the kids(more educated people have less kids). An unstable family life which could be due to crime or an absentee father also adds to the issue of crime. one of my friends who was black is one of the smartest people I've ever met. However, he had no father figure growing up and he started taking drugs and destroyed his life.

You also see this in white communities depend on welfare. Lots of crime, out of wedlock birth rates are high and this means that the people there are limited in what they can do so they turn to crime.

in the black community in america, before welfare, black men and women used to work together and even though there was discrimination against black people , people stuck together and better each others lives. But now, there are no traces of that past left - I had a story about black kid in chicago who got burned to death because he refused to join a gang. the police did nothing and the community did nothing. his parents had to suffer in silence.

im open to being wrong about thats what ive experienced in my life. im an indian living in east london and both my parents go to work but are underpaid(but who isn't? lol) but we are happy with what we have. Many people we know simply refuse to work because they get more money by staying at home instead of working.

thanks for your time guys. sorry for the bad grammar-im terrible at the languages.
[QUOTE="PTMalewski;84107594"]A country can be at least four times more populous than London and have multiple times less knife crimes than London, while carrying all sorts of blades is legal, and have multiple times less gun crimes, while carrying a gun requires permit.

The problem is not with the amount of population, but with the culture of UK's inhabitants.

Btw. Germany has roughly the same population as the UK, and after the recent rise in numbers, they still have only 4000 knife crimes a year, while London has over 12 000.

In 2008 they had only 400 inciditents. That is 30(!) times fewer, for an 80 million country, than for 9 million London![L

London, city of 10 million, 58 murders so far in 2019. Washington, DC area only, 650k residents, 70 murders so far in 2019.
Original post by PTMalewski
A country can be at least four times more populous than London and have multiple times less knife crimes than London, while carrying all sorts of blades is legal, and have multiple times less gun crimes, while carrying a gun requires permit.

The problem is not with the amount of population, but with the culture of UK's inhabitants.

Btw. Germany has roughly the same population as the UK, and after the recent rise in numbers, they still have only 4000 knife crimes a year, while London has over 12 000.

In 2008 they had only 400 inciditents. That is 30(!) times fewer, for an 80 million country, than for 9 million London!

Look mate, don’t just look at stabbing look at murders overall because in places where other weapons are permitted knife crime will probably be less because gangs would prefer to use guns to fight.
London, city of 10 million, 58 murders so far in 2019. Washington, DC area only, 650k residents, 70 murders so far in 2019.
Original post by 999tigger

Maybe they have different laws? You said knifes were legal so you couldnt be convicted of a crime, but in London you could?
Maybe they have different ways of recording figures?

To be perfectly honest, I didn't think that just carrying a knife would be considered a crime in the UK.
I'm used to a system that divides law violations into two basic categories; one is crime, and the other is (minor) violation. Eg. threats are considered as a crime, but speeding is just a minor violation. So no criminal record and no risk of imprisonment in the latter.

Original post by 999tigger

1. Only if you dont have a lawful good reason to be carrying it, so your first point is misleading.

What is a lawful good reason? Is peeling an apple a good reason?
I also don't see the point of this law. Scissors or screwdrivers are equally dangerous, and every car is factory fitted with a screwdriver, although most drivers would have no idea what to use it for.

I now look at the crime rates and they appear to be similar. It seems then that either knife-ban has no significant effect, or it has a signifcant effect, and you have a cultural problem.

Original post by Mustafa0605

I'm not a fan of the US you know.
I don't like the idea of legal guns either, though I like the idea of swords being legal - they allow to keep a distance from an attacker, a sober fighter is in better situation, and it's not that easy to kill anyone using them, both for technical and psychological reasons.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by PTMalewski
I'm not a fan of the US you know.

Yeah but Hopkins is a huge fan of trump and the US and trump retweeted her tweet even though the US has a HUMONGOUS amount of crime and murder compared to London per head.
Yes. The whole 'Londonistan' thing is a common trope used by racists to imply that London is overrun by Muslims or somehow worse due to its diversity, which is ridiculous and backwards.
Original post by ThatJosh
Yes. The whole 'Londonistan' thing is a common trope used by racists to imply that London is overrun by Muslims or somehow worse due to its diversity, which is ridiculous and backwards.

You're right.
It's Germany who has a problem with crime explosion, not London.

Has it become better since mass immigration? If so, how?
Original post by Jebedee
Has it become better since mass immigration? If so, how?

Big economic & cultural growth. I love that the city is full of diverse cultures and you can experience them through eating at a restaurant set up by immigrants, for example. The image of 'openness' makes it a popular tourist destination too and brings a lot of investment. So, yes.
She’s rightfully criticised, but that’s just a smokescreen on the real issue - knife crime in the UK is a HUGE problem.
Big economic & cultural growth. I love that the city is full of diverse cultures and you can experience them through eating at a restaurant set up by immigrants, for example. The image of 'openness' makes it a popular tourist destination too and brings a lot of investment. So, yes.

Diversity is our strength because food. Good one.
Reply 50
Original post by Amy Barlow 89
Huge fan of her but she has been excused of being racist by many politician's and activist's when she attacked Sadiq Khan over the recent killings in London, on twitter that Donald trump has got in hot water over for re tweeting, I don't want to get in trouble myself for being racist on TSR I personally don't think her tweet was racist but what do you think? Here is what she tweeted on June 15th 20 hours in Stab-City This is Khan’s Londonistan.

She is just another symptom of a say what you like social media agenda. I don't think many tsr readers would know how to define racism tbh judging by what i read on tsr threads. She sounds racist and Khan is a pretty awful London mayor who is clueless on issues to do with knife. Why do we keep electing bad London Mayors?
Original post by Kuffar Sheikh
Diversity is our strength because food. Good one.

Food was just one very quick example and I did also mention investment/tourism but okay.

How do you conclude this is solely due to immigration? You do realise that immigrants that open businesses are a tiny minority of overall arrivals?
Food was just one very quick example and I did also mention investment/tourism but okay.

Yeah, London was never a tourist destination before the immigrants showed up. Good one.
Can you please find a relevant news source link so that this thread can stay in the N&CA section? If not, I'll have to move this thread as all posts in this section require a news source.
Huge fan of her but she has been excused of being racist by many politician's and activist's when she attacked Sadiq Khan over the recent killings in London, on twitter that Donald trump has got in hot water over for re tweeting, I don't want to get in trouble myself for being racist on TSR I personally don't think her tweet was racist but what do you think? Here is what she tweeted on June 15th 20 hours in Stab-City This is Khan’s Londonistan.
Original post by Jebedee
How do you conclude this is solely due to immigration? You do realise that immigrants that open businesses are a tiny minority of overall arrivals?

Of course, it was one example of many other ways that immigration has enriched London.
Original post by Kuffar Sheikh
Yeah, London was never a tourist destination before the immigrants showed up. Good one.

Of course it was, but immigration has certainly helped. With all due respect, I think you're trying to poke holes in the exact wording of what I'm saying rather than trying to understand my points and respond to them, which is not helpful for this debate.
Reply 56
Original post by -Eirlys-
Can you please find a relevant news source link so that this thread can stay in the N&CA section? If not, I'll have to move this thread as all posts in this section require a news source.

Hopefully no one will so the post can be eventually deleted !
Of course, it was one example of many other ways that immigration has enriched London.

So how are you coming to the conclusion that immigration has been a net positive, among all of these other factors? You don't have an example of a Britain with every other enrichment factor bar Immigration, so I don't see how you can earnestly come to that conclusion.
Reply 58
Original post by Jebedee

You are aware that several of our key business sectors are utterly dependent on migrants? From agriculture to health. Nevermind all the other sorts of jobs poms dont want to do like cleaning up the streets and such.
Reply 59

Is most knife crime in London committed by people of Pakistani, etc origin?
Is knife crime in Pakistan, etc more prevalent than elsewhere?
These two questions need to be answered before any reasonable conclusions can be drawn on the issue.

However, regardless of the answers, Hopkins was being racist. How can we tell? Because she was expressing an opinion.
Remember that when it was reported that she had been arrested in South Africa on drugs charges, she publicly stated that it was not drugs but actually racism-based hate speech. She would rather the world see her as a racist bigot than someone who occasionally takes recreational drugs. Case closed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending