The Student Room Group

I'd like to learn more about Christianity

I've been brought up a Christian all of my life, though not so strongly.
I used to go to Church just until the end of my confirmation, which was around 14 years of age.
My parents were never strict on reading the Bible or going to Church at all, my father is actually less of a Christian than my mother is. I'm not even sure if my father even prays.
So...I want some advice on how to behave like a true Christian.
Is it okay if I don't go to Church? I pray every time I can and I have mini discussions with God and the angels in my head every single day. I'm also a strong believer of "everything happens for a reason" and that God is helping me and nourishing me to become my better self.
I'm not really a big fan of reading the Bible (please don't criticise me in this, it's just my preferences in religion), so are there any alternatives?

Scroll to see replies

I think gotquestions.com will have good answers for your question.

the Bible is the Word of God, Jesus said that man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God, so you should read your Bible, this is where you'll learn the most about Christianity,

so to be a true Christian, firstly make sure you are in fact saved: https://youtu.be/F8owXQ2QyvA , gotquestions.com may also help

secondly, you have to read your Bible, otherwise you won't grow as a Christian, you'll be like a soldier who doesn't know how to use a sword, and when the enemy comes to attack you, you'll be easily defeated. as a Christian, your final authority should be the Bible, if you don't read it, you won't know exactly what is right or wrong.
Reply 2
Thank you for your response, I was probably wrong in asking for alternatives. Great analogy with the soldier.
Original post by Leviathan1611
I think gotquestions.com will have good answers for your question.

the Bible is the Word of God, Jesus said that man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God, so you should read your Bible, this is where you'll learn the most about Christianity,

so to be a true Christian, firstly make sure you are in fact saved: https://youtu.be/F8owXQ2QyvA , gotquestions.com may also help

secondly, you have to read your Bible, otherwise you won't grow as a Christian, you'll be like a soldier who doesn't know how to use a sword, and when the enemy comes to attack you, you'll be easily defeated. as a Christian, your final authority should be the Bible, if you don't read it, you won't know exactly what is right or wrong.
Original post by liaente
Thank you for your response, I was probably wrong in asking for alternatives. Great analogy with the soldier.

no problem, if/when you decide to read your Bible, be sure it's a King James Version and not these modern versions, it's like training with a disposable knife then an actual sword.

have a good evening 🙂
Reply 4
Beautiful, would I be able to do this by listening to an audibook as well?
Would this one be okay? : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj9oZV-gK8E - It is a King James version. :biggrin:
no problem, if/when you decide to read your Bible, be sure it's a King James Version and not these modern versions, it's like training with a disposable knife then an actual sword.

have a good evening 🙂
You can do what you like but unless you’re born again of the Spirit of God and accept Jesus as your saviour it’s pointless
Original post by liaente
I used to go to Church just until the end of my confirmation, which was around 14 years of age.
My parents were never strict on reading the Bible or going to Church at all, my father is actually less of a Christian than my mother is. I'm not even sure if my father even prays.
Is it okay if I don't go to Church? I pray every time I can and I have mini discussions with God and the angels in my head every single day. I'm also a strong believer of "everything happens for a reason" and that God is helping me and nourishing me to become my better self.
I'm not really a big fan of reading the Bible (please don't criticise me in this, it's just my preferences in religion), so are there any alternatives?
Original post by liaente
Beautiful, would I be able to do this by listening to an audibook as well?
Would this one be okay? : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pj9oZV-gK8E - It is a King James version. :biggrin:

yeah I use audio books as well when I'm too lazy to read, I don't think it's an issue since the scriptures before Moses were verbal.
Reply 7
Learn ancient Greek and read it that way
Reply 8
Thanks so much :biggrin:
yeah I use audio books as well when I'm too lazy to read, I don't think it's an issue since the scriptures before Moses were verbal.
Original post by liaente
Thanks so much :biggrin:

no problem🙂
Original post by liaente

Sounds like you're either Roman Catholic or CofE if you've been confirmed? :jebus: Are you hoping to stay within the denomination you were brought up with? If you have any questions about Roman Catholicism, quote/tag or PM me :jebus:

Obviously, there are a lot of benefits in going to church (regularly) but it is not a necessity imho. I very rarely attend church (due to health issues with going there) and while it can be a little isolating at times, there are plenty of other ways to develop faith and live out one's religion :h:

Btw, with all due respect to other users on here, don't take everything you read on here at face value :wink:
Reply 11
Yes I'm a Catholic :biggrin:
Hopefully there aren't any specific rules for going to Church, right? Like...God won't prefer another person just because he goes to church and I don't, right?
And yes, of course - I will :smile:
Thank you, I'll make sure to contact you if I do :h:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Sounds like you're either Roman Catholic or CofE if you've been confirmed? :jebus: Are you hoping to stay within the denomination you were brought up with? If you have any questions about Roman Catholicism, quote/tag or PM me :jebus:

Obviously, there are a lot of benefits in going to church (regularly) but it is not a necessity imho. I very rarely attend church (due to health issues with going there) and while it can be a little isolating at times, there are plenty of other ways to develop faith and live out one's religion :h:

Btw, with all due respect to other users on here, don't take everything you read on here at face value :wink:
so much of the experience of going to church is making you feel bad about yourself. the true message of Christianity is liberation and joyousness. it is up to you to find it.
Reply 13
I'm just hoping that it's not bad that I'm not going to Church even though I'm a Christian :h:
I want God to love me as much as the person who does go to Church.
Original post by the bear
so much of the experience of going to church is making you feel bad about yourself. the true message of Christianity is liberation and joyousness. it is up to you to find it.
Original post by liaente
I'm just hoping that it's not bad that I'm not going to Church even though I'm a Christian :h:
I want God to love me as much as the person who does go to Church.

i don't think God is impressed by turning up for an hour to sing boring songs each week in an uncomfortable building.
Reply 15
:lol:
Omg XD now that you put it like that...I feel better already.
i don't think God is impressed by turning up for an hour to sing boring songs each week in an uncomfortable building.
Original post by liaente
:lol:
Omg XD now that you put it like that...I feel better already.

you must work things out for yourself. good luck.
Original post by liaente
Yes I'm a Catholic :biggrin:
Hopefully there aren't any specific rules for going to Church, right? Like...God won't prefer another person just because he goes to church and I don't, right?
And yes, of course - I will :smile:
Thank you, I'll make sure to contact you if I do :h:

The Catholic Church does have rules about church-going, but then it has rules policing every bloody thing in life. So I think one must always treat these things with introspection and a pinch of salt, tbh. I don't think God judges people by their church-going or not, but by how they live out their faith. So I really wouldn't worry about the church rules. Also, it's totally OK to church-shop/church-hop :awesome:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
The Catholic Church does have rules about church-going, but then it has rules policing every bloody thing in life. So I think one must always treat these things with introspection and a pinch of salt, tbh. I don't think God judges people by their church-going or not, but by how they live out their faith. So I really wouldn't worry about the church rules. Also, it's totally OK to church-shop/church-hop :awesome:

Our Lord never went to Church in His life.
Our Lord never went to Church in His life.

synagogue? if we take the literal meaning isn’t it same as church? place of gathering?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending