The Student Room Group

Student Arrested by Armed Police At the University of Exeter

after "threatening other students" with a fake gun.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-devon-48688919
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Probably a sociology student accepting the reality of his career prospects.
Reply 2
Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe
Probably a sociology student accepting the reality of his career prospects.

lol...

It would be very interesting to find out the story behind this student and what drove him/her to do this, particularly from their perspective.

This university seems to be in the news with a problem every other day.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
I wonder how he reacted to police threatening him with real guns?
Okay
Original post by Pinkisk
after "threatening other students" with a fake gun.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-devon-48688919

That was very stupid, but he is fortunate. If it was in the US, he could have been killed by the trigger-happy police officers.
In university of Exeter is ****ing weird, they keep getting news of someone doing something stupid
Original post by Scrollery
In university of Exeter is ****ing weird, they keep getting news of someone doing something stupid

The barrier to entry is really low, so you should expect such. You don't hear many crazy stuff like this from Oxbridge, Imperial or other top unis.
Good on the police for reacting quickly and appropriately.
Original post by Wired_1800
The barrier to entry is really low, so you should expect such. You don't hear many crazy stuff like this from Oxbridge, Imperial or other top unis.

Not sure where you've got this information from, looking at A*AA for a Psych degree there, I wouldn't call that really low? And you do realise that crime happens anywhere right?
Original post by phoebebuffay77
Not sure where you've got this information from, looking at A*AA for a Psych degree there, I wouldn't call that really low? And you do realise that crime happens anywhere right?

Looking at one course does not equate to the overall university being good. There are people who will dump Exeter in a heartbeat to go to better unis like those I mentioned.

Also, when you have a low barrier to entry, you run the risk of admitting a wide variety of individuals including those with lower motivation or poor attitudes. This, to me, then translates to issues on campus like those we have seen in the news and on TSR.

You probably want to or currently study at Exeter, so it is fine to defend your uni. However, the growing consensus is that the uni is not what it is perceived to be.
It's not just one course I'm basing it on. So far it's the most impressive weve visited/researched in terms of facilities, course content, position within Russell Group and achievements. For students not wishing or able to attend Oxbridge it's a very good alternative.Feel free to share evidence and references to your point though, as my daughter is seriously considering it, and if we have been misinformed by family members who have attended and achieved very well there then I'd be glad to hear more.
It's not just one course I'm basing it on. So far it's the most impressive weve visited/researched in terms of facilities, course content, position within Russell Group and achievements. For students not wishing or able to attend Oxbridge it's a very good alternative.Feel free to share evidence and references to your point though, as my daughter is seriously considering it, and if we have been misinformed by family members who have attended and achieved very well there then I'd be glad to hear more.

I think my opinions were formed from threads on TSR and friends who have attended Exeter. There seems to be a disconnect between what the university claims and the real experience of the students. Yes, I agree that these are anecdotal evidence, but I have to take them at face value since I have no direct connection to the uni.

In terms of ranking, many people agree that these are very subjective and based on attributes or criteria that appear to be ridiculous. For example, the Guardian puts Bath above Imperial College London and Exeter above LSE.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2018/may/29/university-league-tables-2019

I would not want to put you off your daughter’s choice, as her experience may be different to what I have been told. You may be right that the uni is different to what has been claimed.

Yeah, you never hear about - for instance - Oxbridge undergrads placing intimate parts of their anatomy inside animal carcasses...
Original post by Drewski
Yeah, you never hear about - for instance - Oxbridge undergrads placing intimate parts of their anatomy inside animal carcasses...

That was Cameron (with his Bullingdon Club chums) and it happened probably 25 years ago.
Little lad was just trying to go hunting for grouse. I don't know what all the commotion is about.
Ok thanks, I'll have a look further into TSR posts and see what we can find. It really is a mindfield isnt it?!

I think my opinions were formed from threads on TSR and friends who have attended Exeter. There seems to be a disconnect between what the university claims and the real experience of the students. Yes, I agree that these are anecdotal evidence, but I have to take them at face value since I have no direct connection to the uni.

In terms of ranking, many people agree that these are very subjective and based on attributes or criteria that appear to be ridiculous. For example, the Guardian puts Bath above Imperial College London and Exeter above LSE.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2018/may/29/university-league-tables-2019

I would not want to put you off your daughter’s choice, as her experience may be different to what I have been told. You may be right that the uni is different to what has been claimed.
Ok thanks, I'll have a look further into TSR posts and see what we can find. It really is a mindfield isnt it?!

Wired is the resident delusional lad who thinks anything but ICL or Manchester is not worthy of his attention. I like to call this fresher insecurity, but he seems to keep parroting this into his early 20s. I suggest you ignore him.
Original post by Notoriety
Wired is the resident delusional lad who thinks anything but ICL or Manchester is not worthy of his attention. I like to call this fresher insecurity, but he seems to keep parroting this into his early 20s. I suggest you ignore him.

Why do you continue to insult me? It makes no sense anymore.

Yes, it is. I was just giving my view and you should not take it as law. As I previously wrote, they are anecdotal and people’s experiences might be different.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending