The Student Room Group
Roehampton Library | Roehampton University
University of Roehampton
London
Visit website

Counselling psychology doctorate

Has anyone applied for the counselling psychology doctorate at Roehampton? How long was the process? And how was the interview? I applied 3 weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet.
Hey, whilst I haven't applied to those universities myself for the Doctorate. I applied in November and have my interview in May! It may be worth contacting the admissions team to chase your application. All the best 😊
Roehampton Library | Roehampton University
University of Roehampton
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Wow that is such a long time! How long did it take for you to hear back initially? Good luck on your interview!
Original post by Lozlozloz21
Hey, whilst I haven't applied to those universities myself for the Doctorate. I applied in November and have my interview in May! It may be worth contacting the admissions team to chase your application. All the best 😊
Yep! Tell me about it! I applied in November and found out in March (after a lot of calls and emails). Thank you, insanity is starting to set in now haha😂
Original post by Crystalxuk
Wow that is such a long time! How long did it take for you to hear back initially? Good luck on your interview!
Hi
I’ve got an interview for the counselling psychology doctorate later this week at Roehampton 😬 I’m so nervous! How did yours go?
I wasn't successful 😣 but going to concentrate on getting more face to face 1:1 experience and complete level 3 counselling skills and keep my eye out for trainee pwp roles
Original post by Lizzymcleod
Hi
I’ve got an interview for the counselling psychology doctorate later this week at Roehampton 😬 I’m so nervous! How did yours go?
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like it’s helped you see where you want to go from here though. Thank you for your reply. Good luck
I wasn't successful 😣 but going to concentrate on getting more face to face 1:1 experience and complete level 3 counselling skills and keep my eye out for trainee pwp roles
Reply 7
I wasn't successful either. I'm going to do a MSc and reapply again next year.
Good luck both, let's see where we are this time next year 😊😊😊
Reply 9
Does anyone know what type of questions they ask during the interviews (psychD selection test)?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Lizzymcleod
Hi

How did your interview go in the end? Did you get in? I'm going to re-apply for 2020 so hopefully I don't get rejected again!
Reply 11
Hi Did you guys reapply for this years cohort? Why initially did they reject you? Did they not feel you had enough clinical experience? I had a interview last week but I’ve not heard anything, to be fair I feel like my clinical experience is a bit flakey. I will update when they accept/reject me, in the mean time it would be great to hear from others.
Hi there Chey33, I didn't apply this year as I felt I needed way more experience. I am however about to start a trainee pwp course in a coupleOf months. I think I wasn't accepted because I didn't have enough experience, and looking back I do agree. Since then I've had two other roles within in my company (one doing some work within the NHS), and I was volunteering at a counselling centre (until COVID closed the centre for now). I'm not sure I'll apply again for the doctorate in future, but it definitely showed me that there's more than one way and one role to be in to do what I want to do. Many of the professionals work in conjunction. I do hope it's good news for you, and if it isn't, reflect and seek other opportunities to gain experience, network or improve your learning. Good luck again 😁
Reply 13
Hi there Chey33, I didn't apply this year as I felt I needed way more experience. I am however about to start a trainee pwp course in a coupleOf months. I think I wasn't accepted because I didn't have enough experience, and looking back I do agree. Since then I've had two other roles within in my company (one doing some work within the NHS), and I was volunteering at a counselling centre (until COVID closed the centre for now). I'm not sure I'll apply again for the doctorate in future, but it definitely showed me that there's more than one way and one role to be in to do what I want to do. Many of the professionals work in conjunction. I do hope it's good news for you, and if it isn't, reflect and seek other opportunities to gain experience, network or improve your learning. Good luck again 😁

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. I too got offered a PWP role starting in September, which is an excellent way in, so couldn’t agree more. I still haven’t found out The outcome from roehampton. UEL turned me down and stated it was due to weak performance at interview, which Upon reflection, I agree with. I wasn’t on form that day. it’s still the path I wish to take in the future. I’m not feeling hopefully about Roehampton either as again I felt I was weak in the clinical interview but perhaps will reapply next year.
Original post by Chey33
Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me. I too got offered a PWP role starting in September, which is an excellent way in, so couldn’t agree more. I still haven’t found out The outcome from roehampton. UEL turned me down and stated it was due to weak performance at interview, which Upon reflection, I agree with. I wasn’t on form that day. it’s still the path I wish to take in the future. I’m not feeling hopefully about Roehampton either as again I felt I was weak in the clinical interview but perhaps will reapply next year.

Hey, CONGRATULATIONS! Well done for securing the place on the trainee pwp course, it's really great you had applied for both routes.
Still keeping my fingers crossed for you
Hello to all of you. I had my interview at Roehampton back in June and got accepted, so I am starting in September. I do have two years of clinical and 1:1 work as a mental health support worker and I complete a one year formal systemic training and the Institute of Family Therapy. I do think that the latter was the key in being successful at the psychD interview as through this past year a systemic practitioner trainee I learned a lot about reflexivity and how to address power differentials within the therapeutic relationship. All in all, I would say that self-reflexivity is the key in succeeding at the clinical interview. In regards to the research one, I have conducted experimental research at my bachelors (which is not a UK degree), thus I was really familiar with research methods and statistics. Another thing that helped is that I already had prepared a research proposal of what I will possibly wanna do as my thesis (though they are not asking for this). I cited various sources and researchers when talking about the theories and findings I would wanna base my research on. I was preparing a solid week for this interview so I think preparation helped a lot.I hope I helped you! One thing I would wanna ask you guys is related to these pwp posts. Although I have now a certificate in systemic practice, it seems that they ask for at least a diploma to be able to apply for these posts. I have applied to a couple but got nothing back. Is there any tip on going after a pwp post?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending