The Student Room Group

Increasing my Credit Score

Hey, So i’ve just turned 18 and tried to search for my credit score but it says i haven’t got one yet as i have no credit.
What are some fast cheap ways to increase this?
I heard setting up a direct debit for a charity so i donate every month can increase this? Is that true that way i’ll be increasing the score and helping out. Please let me know for any other ways to increase the score. All is appreciated Thank You
Original post by SteveyCook
Hey, So i’ve just turned 18 and tried to search for my credit score but it says i haven’t got one yet as i have no credit.
I heard setting up a direct debit for a charity so i donate every month can increase this? Is that true that way i’ll be increasing the score and helping out. Please let me know for any other ways to increase the score. All is appreciated Thank You

direct debit to charities don't make a difference. getting a credit card, buying something and completely paying it off each month will make a difference. Make sure you are on the electoral roll.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
direct debit to charities don't make a difference. getting a credit card, buying something and completely paying it off each month will make a difference. Make sure you are on the electoral roll.

Do you have any ideas that i can pay off completely and how i do i get in the electoral roll
Do you have any ideas that i can pay off completely and how i do i get in the electoral roll

you register to vote online, just apply for a low limit credit card and buy some food on it each month and pay it off in full.
Reply 4
you register to vote online, just apply for a low limit credit card and buy some food on it each month and pay it off in full.

Ah okay where can i search for these credit cards
Ah okay where can i search for these credit cards

online using comparison sites or speak to your bank
Reply 6
online using comparison sites or speak to your bank

Would it work if open a credit card with my current bank account?
Would it work if open a credit card with my current bank account?

yes it could do
Reply 8
Original post by Themysticalegg
Higher APR credit cards will increase your credit score quicker

Higher APR cards are easier to get when you have **** credit - that's it.

Your APR is not part of your credit profile, and other lenders certainly don't know what it is.
I stand corrected, I remember why I took the high APR card because no one else would take me with my minimal credit history bar Tesco at 33%+
Original post by IWMTom
What...? That's a load of horseshit.

Higher APR cards are easier to get when you have **** credit - that's it.

Your APR is not part of your credit profile, and other lenders certainly don't know what it is.
(edited 4 years ago)

You could always try to get a low-spend credit card. One with low allowance but high interest as these are easier to get with little to no credit history. Doing this you'll see your credit score come alive within a few months to a year. It's all about making sure not to over spend and setting your own limit. Ad then paying it all off each month.
Get the best credit card you can (low APR, high 0% offer), get a job, have an increased credit profile (bills, mobile phone contracts, etc).

Don't make too many applications at once, try not to utilise a high percentage of your credit.
Original post by TrojanH
Get the best credit card you can (low APR, high 0% offer), get a job, have an increased credit profile (bills, mobile phone contracts, etc).

Don't make too many applications at once, try not to utilise a high percentage of your credit.

You're very unlikely to get a good credit card when you have no credit. But that's fine, the APR shouldn't matter at all because you should be paying off the balance every month in full.

Get a job, get on the electoral roll, and apply for a credit building card (I got mine from CapitalOne). Make some of your usual purchases on the card and pay it off in full every month, you'll begin to build credit in just 3-6 months.

It's very important that you complete soft searches (often called eligibility checks) before you apply for a card. CapitalOne allows you to do this as do most credit card companies. This is because a soft search doesn't stain your credit score, whereas a hard check (an application) will.
Reply 13
Original post by Lewis23z
You're very unlikely to get a good credit card when you have no credit. But that's fine, the APR shouldn't matter at all because you should be paying off the balance every month in full.

Get a job, get on the electoral roll, and apply for a credit building card (I got mine from CapitalOne). Make some of your usual purchases on the card and pay it off in full every month, you'll begin to build credit in just 3-6 months.

It's very important that you complete soft searches (often called eligibility checks) before you apply for a card. CapitalOne allows you to do this as do most credit card companies. This is because a soft search doesn't stain your credit score, whereas a hard check (an application) will.

Thanks i’m gonna check capital one cup and i’m gonna apply for one
Reply 14
Thanks i’m gonna check capital one cup and i’m gonna apply for one

What if i Try and get a credit card along with my Student account?
Reply 15
What if i Try and get a credit card along with my Student account?

And is more than one credit card does it increase the score higher or does it just have the same effect

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending