The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Chemistry 2019/2020

hi all, how's everyone finding the course so far?
you’ve already started? My teacher just gave us a course overview and told us we’d start in August 😂
Original post by ihateexams565
hi all, how's everyone finding the course so far?
It has been busy. Got a test tomorrow and they are expecting us to have done 2 experiments and have them written up all before summer.
Original post by cind25
you’ve already started? My teacher just gave us a course overview and told us we’d start in August 😂

my school's only offering 2 periods a week and whole adv h classes weren't really sorted out until the 2nd week so we haven't through much either. if you've done n5/higher physics then the first part of the first unit should be a walk in the park (electromagnetic radiation, emission spectra etc) but if not it's still alright, not a bad introduction to the course. the part that comes after-- electron configuration-- can be a bit hard to wrap your head around but it should be fine if your teacher's half decent. i'd recommend reading a bit through the scholar notes if you want to be more prepared though : )
Original post by Abigail110203
It has been busy. Got a test tomorrow and they are expecting us to have done 2 experiments and have them written up all before summer.

your class has been quite productive then! can't imagine getting a test in the first month of the course. which parts have you covered already?
We are just starting the transition metal chemistry. Have have done everything up to oxidation numbers.
Reply 6
started my 6th year of secondary and Ive chose to do advanced higher chemistry. I done higher last year and got a B, Im finding the course so far really confusing and im absolutely clueless on the calculations section. no matter how many past papers I do, I still do rubbish at the calculations, even in higher. how do improve, how do yous study for chemistry?
Reply 7
Maybe try watching a few tutorials on youtube/khan academy etc around the topics you feel stuck on, if this doesn't seem to help try speaking to your Chemistry teacher(s) or if they appear busy going to another chemistry teacher can also be a good idea to verbally go through a few things with you, may even be able to get a few sessions to work through a few topics. Or if that's too daunting, try asking a friend who appears to understands the calculations to go through it with you
I would try one calculation problem at a time (maybe don't start with past papers), keep looking at the answer scheme and make sure you understand every step and why it's been done. Might mean it takes you like 30 minutes to do one small question but you'll (hopefully) understand the how and why of how to do any other similar question
ah chem calc 1.png
can anyone help me with this calculation
hi, which textbook do you all recommended for me to buy ?
Original post by bulbasaur55
hi, which textbook do you all recommended for me to buy ?

Hey, I did the course last year and ended up with an A so am happy to help with any questions on the course or project because I know that it is tough and requires a lot of work! I would recommend the bright red book as it gives good depth and helps to get your head around some of the topics as well as having great calculation examples! Scholar online is also really good for extra information as well particularly for the open ended questions! Good luck!
Original post by Katelouisa
Hey, I did the course last year and ended up with an A so am happy to help with any questions on the course or project because I know that it is tough and requires a lot of work! I would recommend the bright red book as it gives good depth and helps to get your head around some of the topics as well as having great calculation examples! Scholar online is also really good for extra information as well particularly for the open ended questions! Good luck!

Hey, well done on the A - how did you find the project and what do you think were the main things that allowed you to get that great grade? I'm really hoping to get an A but the project seems as though it could bring down my score.

Your advice is appreciated :smile:
Original post by anonymous.18
ah chem calc 1.png
can anyone help me with this calculation

I think you would first find the number of moles of NaOH using the info they've given you (n=cv) and then do mole ratio to find the n of the acid. Once you've got the n for that you can then work out the m since they've conveniently given you the gfm too. I'm not familiar with the second question but there /is/ a formula for % by mass in the data booklet so I suppose you would just plug in the values you've already got?
failed the prelim :frown:
Original post by stereotypeasian
failed the prelim :frown:

Still plenty time to improve, I’d use this as an opportunity to identify your weaknesses and make sure to really focus revision on those areas, doing PPQs as much as you can to develop them :smile:
Hey!

How is everyone's AH chemistry projects coming along?

Reallyy clutching at straws here, but was just wondering is anyone doing their project on the ' manufacture and qualitative analysis of benzoic acid'. Would anyone be able to help me lol, or perhaps refer me to someone on here that they know is doing the same/similar investigation.

Many Thanks!
Original post by Andrew.Macleod7
Hey, well done on the A - how did you find the project and what do you think were the main things that allowed you to get that great grade? I'm really hoping to get an A but the project seems as though it could bring down my score.

Your advice is appreciated :smile:

Hey, what are you doing your project on?
Original post by Katelouisa
Hey, what are you doing your project on?

I’m trying to determine the ethanoic acid content of vinegar (making up solutions, doing a standardisation and then titrations), wbu?
Original post by Andrew.Macleod7
I’m trying to determine the ethanoic acid content of vinegar (making up solutions, doing a standardisation and then titrations), wbu?

I did mine last year so can offer any advice etc. I did it on the calcium carbonate content in antacids so used back titrations of standardised solutions and then did normal titrations thereafter. I remember how much work it was!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending