The Student Room Group

Is uni fun

Hi guys I’m worried about uni. Any tips?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You’ll probably really have to throw yourself into it, don’t hesitate to talk to people, they’ll probably be grateful for it, and really do check out the societies. In terms of academics, there are always people in place to give you a hand, yes it’s supposed to be more independent but they’re not going to not help you. I hope that was useful, is there anything in particular worrying you?
Uni will be fun only if you make it to be. I just go to my lectures and seminars then either go home or out with friends. So for me, uni isn’t really fun. One tip I’ll give you is to focus on your studies. Make assignments and studying for your exams one of your priorities. If you do then you can have fun without feeling guilty!
Good luck
Your uni experience is what you make of it.

If you want to go out and have fun and have all these different experiences, then you have to seek them out. Go try a new hobby or explore your uni city, speak to all the different students, try taster sessions for things.
Reply 4
Original post by Corps
You’ll probably really have to throw yourself into it, don’t hesitate to talk to people, they’ll probably be grateful for it, and really do check out the societies. In terms of academics, there are always people in place to give you a hand, yes it’s supposed to be more independent but they’re not going to not help you. I hope that was useful, is there anything in particular worrying you?

Thank you so much. Really appreciate it
No. I found it very much not fun.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Uni will be fun only if you make it to be. I just go to my lectures and seminars then either go home or out with friends. So for me, uni isn’t really fun. One tip I’ll give you is to focus on your studies. Make assignments and studying for your exams one of your priorities. If you do then you can have fun without feeling guilty!
Good luck

Thank you so much
Experiences will greatly differ.

I personally can not wait to finish Uni then just become a hermit.
Reply 8
Original post by MidgetFever
Your uni experience is what you make of it.

If you want to go out and have fun and have all these different experiences, then you have to seek them out. Go try a new hobby or explore your uni city, speak to all the different students, try taster sessions for things.

Will keep it in mind, thank you
What are you planning on studying in uni?
What are you planning on studying in uni?

Information management and business at UCL
Hi guys I’m worried about uni. Any tips?

Pick a course that you are passionate about or need to get into your desired career. If you do so, you have a greater chance of enjoying the course and studying it in great depth and engaging with the material.

In terms of the social aspect, don't be afraid to try new things. Go into university with an open mind - you might meet people and make friends with those who you didn't think you would, you might join new societies and find new hobbies and interests. Introduce yourself to everyone you meet and join a lot of new societies as possible. There may be people you don't click with or things you don't enjoy, but that is normal.
Other people have already said it here, but it really is true - it's what you make of it.

The best piece of advice I could give is to realise that everyone is sh***ing themselves just as much as you are. Everyone's anxious and nervous. Everyone's afraid to start that first conversation.
If though, you can be the person to say that first "hello", you'll find yourself making a lot of friends.

Also, in first year, say yes to as many things as possible, especially social opportunities. First year is the only year you get where all you need is a 40% pass. I'm not saying don't work hard, but it's the year where you can afford to rush the odd assignment so you can go have fun and make friends.
I dont find it fun. All anyone does is go drinking and clubbing which is boring af
Nope, I do not treat it as fun. Off to lectures/seminars and then take notes etc until 5pm every day (apart from weekends).
You are getting a skewed sample here. I.e., uni students who post on here regularly and not so much partying the night away. So a lot more people are going to say it's crap.

Was fun. Should be even funner when I go back.
That depends on which uni you go to. Generally higher ranked universities have less people who are interested in clubbing (from my experience). Of course all universities will have a full range of people anyway.
Original post by CoolCavy
I dont find it fun. All anyone does is go drinking and clubbing which is boring af
Original post by lucypaulman
That depends on which uni you go to. Generally higher ranked universities have less people who are interested in clubbing (from my experience). Of course all universities will have a full range of people anyway.

Where did you hear that from? I doubt rank makes any difference. It's common knowledge that clubbing, drinking etc is a large student behaviour
Original post by Notoriety
You are getting a skewed sample here. I.e., uni students who post on here regularly and not so much partying the night away. So a lot more people are going to say it's crap.

Was fun. Should be even funner when I go back.

That's true, am here so often as I dont enjoy the uni social scene so have more friends here really
Talking to some of my friends at Cambridge and Imperial.
Original post by CoolCavy
Where did you hear that from? I doubt rank makes any difference. It's common knowledge that clubbing, drinking etc is a large student behaviour

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending