The Student Room Group

2/3 of Tory party members believe certain areas of the UK operate under Sharia Law

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I don't think many communities are actually governed under sharia law, apart from marriage I don't think anything in terms of law is done outside of the British rule of law with the exception of a few very small minorities that take matters into their own hands, however Muslims themselves have called on the government to shut these down. 22% is a relatively small number considering many of these immigrants are from war torn countries, middle aged/elderdly and you haven't said how long these people have been in the country.. I've never come across a Muslim who can't speak English in this country, and I was once going to mosques regularly but yeah all immigrants should put in the effort to learn the home language, I'm sure its required for citizenship these days?... Imagine how the Spanish feel when we go to their country and talk English slowly to them hoping they'll catch on and act like they're the dumb ones for not talking English

And look at all the struggle young Muslims go through despite their liberal attitudes, islamophobic attacks on the rise, islam being trash talked 24/7, having views they don't even agree with thrown at them and defining them.....

I just read your story and I'm sorry that happened to you, it sounds disgraceful and an awful thing to go through. I hope you feel okay now and realise the odds were just against you, these things are rare, I can't believe things like that actually happen :frown: It’s unfair to see it as an entire community attacking you as I’m sure many would stand up against it, however I understand the view a member of a community is a representative of them since s(he) is a product of it, and so can be responsible for your perspective and experience of them.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Napp
We’re threw the looking glass here people... we now have quantifiable evidence that a bunch of Brain dead chimps are somehow about to force a new PM on the country..

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-islamophobia-sharia-law-poll-conservative-party-members-leadership-a8971731.html

Interesting, now that a poll supports your position you seem to have disregarded your concern about their supposed inherent flaw.
This 2011 profile of British Muslims found only 6% “struggled with English”. Where is this 22% figure from?
Reply 23
Original post by Underscore__
Interesting, now that a poll supports your position you seem to have disregarded your concern about their supposed inherent flaw.

Not really? I stand by my opinion that polls are inherently flawed. That doesn't mean they don't serve as useful indicators though. Especially when its a cast iron fact the Tory party are bigoted against Muslims.

Also, since when have i had a position on tory party members believing we live under a sharia state? I don't recall once voicing an opinion on it.
Reply 24
Err almost all do and they're still governed by British law either way.
Also to make some sort of effort to learn English (for the 22% of Muslims who cannot speak English)

We both know this is a specious crock of **** of a claim.

thankfully the younger generation of Muslims seem to be less religious and more liberal

Remind me whats inherently wrong with being religious? - this coming from an ardent atheist but i'd be curious to know why you hate Islam as opposed to any other religions. Not to mention the 2nd generation etc. are the ones who cause more problems than their parents who generally assimilated quite well.
Yeah you’re lying. You’re on the student room, the land of many trolls
Bit of a misleading thread title.
Reply 27
Nice mis-quote in the thread title. Don't let the facts get in the way of a good rant though.
Original post by Napp

Remind me whats inherently wrong with being religious? - this coming from an ardent atheist but i'd be curious to know why you hate Islam as opposed to any other religions. Not to mention the 2nd generation etc. are the ones who cause more problems than their parents who generally assimilated quite well.

https://fullfact.org/immigration/22-muslim-women-say-they-dont-speak-english-or-dont-speak-it-well/

The 6% is from the Muslim council of Great Britain, my figure is the official government figures

Yeah but they still use the sharia courts to break the equality laws in divorce proceedings

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/voices/sharia-law-uk-courts-muslim-women-rights-few-compared-islamic-countries-religious-rulings-quran-a8064796.html%3famp
Okay pal whatever you say 👍🏻
Original post by Mustafa0605
Yeah you’re lying. You’re on the student room, the land of many trolls
Original post by Napp
We’re threw the looking glass here people... we now have quantifiable evidence that a bunch of Brain dead chimps are somehow about to force a new PM on the country..

Oh, sweet irony... :moon:
Reply 32
Original post by Drewski
Oh, sweet irony... :moon:

Do you feel personally attacked here or something?
Reply 33
I remain highly dubious of the stat of 22%... Either way in fairness to people who speak English as a second language, most of them speak real English better than the natives. The mangling of the Queen that goes on these days is terrible.
Also, since when can you judge who speaks English based on their religion? I mean of all the ridiculous metrics to try and abuse this one takes the biscuit. Are you referencing Arabs, Persians, Malayas, Indonesians, Indians, Pashtuns, Certain Africans or what?

I'm not sure a couple of isolated instances (never mind the specificity of them) really helps in your claim here...
Original post by Napp

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-islamophobia-sharia-law-poll-conservative-party-members-leadership-a8971731.html

Well they're not really wrong.There are certain places where Muslim influence is troubling.I don't see any white British people standing outside schools and protesting a book about two male penguins.Do you?
Original post by Napp

What's right with being religious?
Reply 36
Original post by James2312
Well they're not really wrong.There are certain places where Muslim influence is troubling.I don't see any white British people standing outside schools and protesting a book about two male penguins.Do you?

Err you are aware the local MP (or possibly Councillor) went over and offered his support right? He was white... Plenty of people of all races and religions find the idea of teaching children that transsexualism and what not is a normal way of life, troubling. There is absolutely nothing uniquely islamic about this.
Reply 37
Original post by James2312
What's right with being religious?

Very little in ones view but that isnt quite the point here. I tend to find the average Muslims beliefs far more tolerable than some bible thumping evangelical or god forbid Mormon etc.
Reply 38
Original post by Andrew97
Bit of a misleading thread title.

How so? It's literally the title of the quoted article?
Original post by Napp
Not really? I stand by my opinion that polls are inherently flawed. That doesn't mean they don't serve as useful indicators though. Especially when its a cast iron fact the Tory party are bigoted against Muslims.

Also, since when have i had a position on tory party members believing we live under a sharia state? I don't recall once voicing an opinion on it.

Haha so a poll can be a useful indicator of Islamaphobia but not of antisemitism? What evidence do you have to support your position against the Conservative party?

Your position, quite obviously, is one of dislike for the Conservative party.

Quick Reply

Latest