The Student Room Group

What should I get as a first car?

Hey guys, looking for a nice car was thinking a bmw or Mercedes even found a cheap Range Rover evoque for sale but I don’t know what to do. I know the insurance for the evoque is going to be sky high so do I look for a bmw or mercedes and what models ! I’m very indecisive and need all the help I can get. Don’t need it to be fast I just want to feel ‘safe’ in it, if you know what I mean. The evoque has sold me but insurance is too high. What do I do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Please don’t suggest nissans or toyotas x
Reply 2
Also wanted to ask what are you guys budget for a first car, just wondering x
Reply 3
Sadly until you build up your NCD, your insurance prices will decide the car you get. My first car was a £700 2005 Vauxhall Cora’s 1.2L (my insurance was £2,500), then after I built up experience and got a permanent job, I got a £8,000 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.25L (insurance was £2,000). Now I’ve just ordered a brand new £20,000 Ford Focus 2019 1 litre 125hp Ecoboost ST-Line, which is due to arrive any day, the insurance on this car is £1,300. Generally the newer the car, the cheaper the insurance, due to newer cars having more and better safety features, but this does mean the amount you will pay for the car will be higher. So comes down to, if you want to spend more on a car or on insurance. My first priority would be to get NCD under your belt, then splurge like I did. It’s a sad reality, as I thought the same when I was getting my first cat. But it’s just the way the world works now. All done on risk factors and statistics :smile:
Original post by Joshkav
Now I’ve just ordered a brand new £20,000 Ford Focus 2019 1 litre 125hp Ecoboost ST-Line

The 1l ecoboost engine performs quite badly in the mk3/mk4 focus, I thought I'd give you the heads up now since I've test driven both. Worst of all, there aren't a lot of typical performance tuning chains that will eliminate that horrendous flat spot between the 2nd and 3rd gears which would help make it a bit more bearable. the 1.5 is a massive improvement.

But yeah your insurance will dictate your car. BMW/Merc/Audi/RR etc are very likely to be out of reach for you. The closest to them in terms of comfort, safety and performance you might get insured on would be a hyundai i30 or a Skoda Octavia, but for a first car I'd rather look at the fabia or i20.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by nevershear
The 1l ecoboost engine performs quite badly in the mk3/mk4 focus, I thought I'd give you the heads up now since I've test driven both. Worst of all, there aren't a lot of typical performance tuning chains that will eliminate that horrendous flat spot between the 2nd and 3rd gears which would help make it a bit more bearable. the 1.5 is a massive improvement.

I've test driven it, and i liked it. I'm not a car fanatic, so as long as it feels good, i don't mind. felt like it had more power than my previous 1.2L did. As I said I'm happy with it, thanks for the heads up :smile:
Do you need a car? Would use of public transport, taxis or Uber meet your needs and save a fortune?
Reply 7
Yes I do need a car I think I have spent more on über than I’ll be spending on a car!
Original post by barnetlad
Do you need a car? Would use of public transport, taxis or Uber meet your needs and save a fortune?
May be talk about your budget... If your parents are happy to spend 20k on anything you want that's different to if you have 2k saved in the bank.
Reply 9
I think Range Rover is a bit too much for a first car. What will you be using the car for? Do you commute, go on road trips often or just looking for a city run around? What’s your budget? Maintenance costs? I’d probably go for a 1 series though I’d suggest you buy a much older one as on the first year of driving you’re bound to get some scratches on wheels or bumper (been there done that) which will cost you more in the long run if you’re financing/leasing
You've found a cheap Range Rover Evoque? You've found one for under £1000? Fantastic! Buy it!

If you want to feel as safe as you can, buy a Volvo XC90. It is officially the safest car in the UK. No one has ever died in one in the UK and they've sold a lot of them in this country since 2002. Trouble is, they start from £1800, which is not cheap, and the insurance might be pricey too.
Original post by Joshkav
Sadly until you build up your NCD, your insurance prices will decide the car you get. My first car was a £700 2005 Vauxhall Cora’s 1.2L (my insurance was £2,500), then after I built up experience and got a permanent job, I got a £8,000 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.25L (insurance was £2,000). Now I’ve just ordered a brand new £20,000 Ford Focus 2019 1 litre 125hp Ecoboost ST-Line, which is due to arrive any day, the insurance on this car is £1,300. Generally the newer the car, the cheaper the insurance, due to newer cars having more and better safety features, but this does mean the amount you will pay for the car will be higher. So comes down to, if you want to spend more on a car or on insurance. My first priority would be to get NCD under your belt, then splurge like I did. It’s a sad reality, as I thought the same when I was getting my first cat. But it’s just the way the world works now. All done on risk factors and statistics :smile:

Exactly.
Get something "normal" as your first car.
Seriously consider all your options. Unless you can afford a NEW car whether it's on finance or outright, then fair play.

I have worked for the past 2 years full time and have teated myself to a new A class but I have made sure I can afford the repayments and ongoing running costs first. The problem is if you are going to get a NEW car especially on PCP you need to make sure you can afford it:

1) you need at least a "good" credit score if not forget it.
2) you will be tied into debt for at least 3 years ... what will you be doing or earning in 3 years time? You have to think about this!
3) You have to remeber other costs not just the PCP payments, tax, servicing, fuel, repairs and most importantly INSURANCE!
4) Most dealerships will require a guarantor if the car costs over a certain amount simply because of the amount of debt you will be going into.

*insurance for ANY "high performance" car for a young driver will be through the roof, I am currently looking at around £3000 for my A class so unless again you can afford it, forget it!

You may really really want a "flash" new car but do you NEED one. I know I sound a bit hypocritical but honestly think about it and if you must look for a 2-3 year old one you will get a much better deal as the car has depreciated already. Shop around don't go for the first one you see!

Original post by olivia.k24
Hey guys, looking for a nice car was thinking a bmw or Mercedes even found a cheap Range Rover evoque for sale but I don’t know what to do. I know the insurance for the evoque is going to be sky high so do I look for a bmw or mercedes and what models ! I’m very indecisive and need all the help I can get. Don’t need it to be fast I just want to feel ‘safe’ in it, if you know what I mean. The evoque has sold me but insurance is too high. What do I do?
(edited 4 years ago)
2-3 year old car? As a first car? 10+ years old would be a much more sensible option. For your first, second, third, fourth, fith, sixth, seventh and eigth car.

A car is a tool for getting from A to B. Preferably in comfort, safety, economically.
A car is your freedom. It's not your clothes or jewellery.
Original post by James.P_98
Seriously consider all your options. Unless you can afford a NEW car whether it's on finance or outright, then fair play.

I have worked for the past 2 years full time and have teated myself to a new A class but I have made sure I can afford the repayments and ongoing running costs first. The problem is if you are going to get a NEW car especially on PCP you need to make sure you can afford it:

2) you will be tied into debt for at least 3 years ... what will you be doing or earning in 3 years time? You have to think about this!
3) You have to remeber other costs not just the PCP payments, tax, servicing, fuel, repairs and most importantly INSURANCE!
4) Most dealerships will require a guarantor if the car costs over a certain amount simply because of the amount of debt you will be going into.

*insurance for ANY "high performance" car for a young driver will be through the roof, I am currently looking at around £3000 for my A class so unless again you can afford it, forget it!

You may really really want a "flash" new car but do you NEED one. I know I sound a bit hypocritical but honestly think about it and if you must look for a 2-3 year old one you will get a much better deal as the car has depreciated already. Shop around don't go for the first one you see!

£3000 insurance!? Is that without a black box?
Sorry I should have put that into context. The OP appears to want a "new" flashy car and along the lines of PCP you get the best deal with models around 3 years old.

I have done what i've done after weighing up alternatives. People are far too critical of others purchasing new cars for example these advantages of buying new:

1) No MOT for the first 3 years
2) Most dealerships offer UNLIMITED milage 3 years warranty's
2) Most dealerships offer free service plans for the first 3 years (Mercedes did anyway)
3) For new drivers insurance is cheaper for newer cars because of the availability of spare parts, safety features such as EBS ect
4) You get the latest technology, okay not needed but things have come along way.

I have worked hard to be able to afford a new car and yes it gets you from A to B and a 10+ year old car will do the same thing but I know for a fact in 5+ years time when I want a mortgage for a house I won't be able to afford a nice new car so why not enjoy it now.
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
2-3 year old car? As a first car? 10+ years old would be a much more sensible option. For your first, second, third, fourth, fith, sixth, seventh and eigth car.

A car is a tool for getting from A to B. Preferably in comfort, safety, economically.
A car is your freedom. It's not your clothes or jewellery.
Nothing french other than that your all good 😉
Original post by cherryred90s

It is indeed!

Thats the cheapest I can get with no black box, with a box I am looking around £1500-£2500 but that's because of my age and the car I have bought. I currently pay £700 without a black box for my Corsa but pick up the new car in a few weeks.
Original post by James.P_98

People can pay cash you know too lol, btw I'm also interested in if thats with or without blackbox
Original post by cherryred90s

I got offered 5100 minimum for a 1.6 Audi A3 with blackbox, and I'm quite sure that was for a non S-Line. I went to the other side of the spectrum for a <100hp 1.0 polo and although much cheaper, I still couldn't find a non blackbox quote.
They do indeed. I went on a bit of a tangent lol.

I was rather surprised to see in the news this week that over 90% of UK cars on the road are on some sort of finance!
Original post by UrBusted
People can pay cash you know too lol, btw I'm also interested in if thats with or without blackbox

I got offered 5100 minimum for a 1.6 Audi A3 with blackbox, and I'm quite sure that was for a non S-Line. I went to the other side of the spectrum for a <100hp 1.0 polo and although much cheaper, I still couldn't find a non blackbox quote.

£2750 NO black box with Lloyds bank for a 1.4l 163bhp Mercedes A200 I thought was pretty decent although painful I was expecting worse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending