The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher English Dissertation

I’ve decided to do my advanced higher English dissertation on whether or not it is important for creatives to have obsessive attention to detail. I think ‘Lolita’ by Vladimir Nabokov fits quite well but I’m struggling to find another book that would work. Any suggestions??
(Also is my topic choice too narrow?)
Original post by viveclipse
I’ve decided to do my advanced higher English dissertation on whether or not it is important for creatives to have obsessive attention to detail. I think ‘Lolita’ by Vladimir Nabokov fits quite well but I’m struggling to find another book that would work. Any suggestions??
(Also is my topic choice too narrow?)

What do you exactly mean by a creative? And, what do you mean by obsessive attention to detail?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
I'm planning on doing Lolita and Ada, or Ardor by Nabokov.

You could compare Lolita with other Nabokov novels like Pale Fire or perhaps other books with themes relating to criminal law, perhaps even To Kill A Mockingbird?
Reply 3
I use “creative” as a loose term I guess, Humbert wants to immortalise Lolita in his writing.
And by obsessive attention to detail, I mean in the sense that he pays attention to every little thing about her, down to the downy hair on her body.
Original post by Quick-use
What do you exactly mean by a creative? And, what do you mean by obsessive attention to detail?
Reply 4
I think anything by Virginia Woolf would be rewarding to look at. Especially the diner party scene from “To The Lighthouse”. I would also recommend you look into some Russian literature: a lot of Tolstoy’s and Dostoyevsky’s work shows very acute attention to detail. A specific book might be “Demons” by Dostoyevsky, particularly the last chapter that recounts the rape of a young girl. It’s very subtle and the attention to surrounding details before the act is committed is almost maddening.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending