The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Funding

I recently applied for the 100+ scholarship for my masters, I was wondering if anybody else who had also applied had heard back about their application yet? I know we are meant to hear back before the end of June.

Scroll to see replies

I applied, haven't heard back yet either, the suspense is KILLING ME! :s-smilie:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Glad to know I’m not the only one
Don't know about you, but I've just been compulsively checking my emails, distracting myself for like an hour or two and then checking again... What course have you applied for? :smile:
Original post by Sheffield12357
Glad to know I’m not the only one
Any day now. Good luck.
you too? I'm not a patient person by nature. I applied last year too, and according to my emails it was exactly 1 year ago today I got rejected for it... not sure if that's a good or bad sign though! :P
Original post by marinade
Any day now. Good luck.
Original post by amorsophy
you too? I'm not a patient person by nature. I applied last year too, and according to my emails it was exactly 1 year ago today I got rejected for it... not sure if that's a good or bad sign though! :P

I started already mid year. Funny time of year to start. However, a lot of chatter on campus and offices about funding for PhD students - that bit has gone now and onto masters' funding. Funding bodies can be a bit mysterious, thing I have learnt the last few months is some academics know some funding bodies inside out and others they genuinely have no more idea than anyone else.

When you get your answer my advise would be to get preregistration tasks out of the way as that can waste a fair bit of time later on. Basically after some of that you go to 2nd floor of the arts tower and then you can apply for a ucard by going to the 6th floor of the SU and then down to the fourth. It you can do this before the start of term if avoids the scrum :smile: and saves time.
Oh nice, thank you for telling me that!! I've already started the pre reg reading and stuff, so avoiding the scrum would be really nice! :') What course are you doing?
I started already mid year. Funny time of year to start. However, a lot of chatter on campus and offices about funding for PhD students - that bit has gone now and onto masters' funding. Funding bodies can be a bit mysterious, thing I have learnt the last few months is some academics know some funding bodies inside out and others they genuinely have no more idea than anyone else.

When you get your answer my advise would be to get preregistration tasks out of the way as that can waste a fair bit of time later on. Basically after some of that you go to 2nd floor of the arts tower and then you can apply for a ucard by going to the 6th floor of the SU and then down to the fourth. It you can do this before the start of term if avoids the scrum :smile: and saves time.
Don't know about you, but I've just been compulsively checking my emails, distracting myself for like an hour or two and then checking again... What course have you applied for? :smile:

International relations, you? It’s going to be the difference between me being able to do my masters and not, hopefully we won’t be waiting too much longer to find out
Philosophy and yeah, I understand that. That's the position I was in last year, but I didn't get it then so I had to take a year out. I'll seriously struggle without it but because I live in Sheffield now fingers crossed it'll be alright!:frown:
Original post by Sheffield12357
International relations, you? It’s going to be the difference between me being able to do my masters and not, hopefully we won’t be waiting too much longer to find out
Oh nice, thank you for telling me that!! I've already started the pre reg reading and stuff, so avoiding the scrum would be really nice! :') What course are you doing?

PhD in engineering.

Finish the priority tasks or whatever it calls them in the pre-reg tasks, then that's when it'll let you visit the arts tower --> student registration number --> 6th floor --> 4th floor --> UCard. If you wait for the e-mails it tells you something daft like take your certificates along weeks after you can and tells you to pick up UCard at the start of semester = scrum. The number they give you in the arts tower is the same as your student number. Also means you have swipe access to the diamond/IC (the weston bank library is closed till October) and can have a wander around. I lived here before the course, but didn't know my way around so a useful activity imho.
you're actually a lifesaver! So do I need to take my certs and all the rest of it when I go to the arts tower? :smile: also a PhD in engineering sounds super interesting ngl
PhD in engineering.

Finish the priority tasks or whatever it calls them in the pre-reg tasks, then that's when it'll let you visit the arts tower --> student registration number --> 6th floor --> 4th floor --> UCard. If you wait for the e-mails it tells you something daft like take your certificates along weeks after you can and tells you to pick up UCard at the start of semester = scrum. The number they give you in the arts tower is the same as your student number. Also means you have swipe access to the diamond/IC (the weston bank library is closed till October) and can have a wander around. I lived here before the course, but didn't know my way around so a useful activity imho.
you're actually a lifesaver! So do I need to take my certs and all the rest of it when I go to the arts tower? :smile: also a PhD in engineering sounds super interesting ngl

It's not clear to me when you can get the UCard, but get as much out of the way as possible. I got mine before I officially started as I live in the city.

Just looked up the terminology in the e-mails. So you have an applicant number right? probably start 199xxxxxx.

Do you have the e-mail with your username yet? So it'll say after some combination of completing mandatory tasks you'll get an e-mail entitled:-

The University of Sheffield - Set up your University account
Within this it'll say
To access MUSE you need to set up your University account. You can do this by following the instructions at: https://www.shef.ac.uk/account-management/applicant/activate

Your applicant username is: phi19xyz where philosophy is probably phi?, 19 the year and your initials the last. It'll say something like that.

After this you fill in personal details. And it's then after that I think you can go to the arts tower. I took driving licence, offer letter, e-mail with applicant number, funding letter and certificate. I think they just wanted applicant number and certificate.

You may not get this until you have accepted the offer and then filled in the personal details.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/admissions/verification/ug-pgt

if you can validate certificates before the start of term it is the arts tower, if after it's in the discovery rooms.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/aid is the contact details if when offers and all that done if you want to check if you can take certificates in, get validated and get your student number etc.
It's not clear to me when you can get the UCard, but get as much out of the way as possible. I got mine before I officially started as I live in the city.

Just looked up the terminology in the e-mails. So you have an applicant number right? probably start 199xxxxxx.

Do you have the e-mail with your username yet? So it'll say after some combination of completing mandatory tasks you'll get an e-mail entitled:-

The University of Sheffield - Set up your University account
Within this it'll say
To access MUSE you need to set up your University account. You can do this by following the instructions at: https://www.shef.ac.uk/account-management/applicant/activate

Your applicant username is: phi19xyz where philosophy is probably phi?, 19 the year and your initials the last. It'll say something like that.

After this you fill in personal details. And it's then after that I think you can go to the arts tower. I took driving licence, offer letter, e-mail with applicant number, funding letter and certificate. I think they just wanted applicant number and certificate.

You may not get this until you have accepted the offer and then filled in the personal details.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/admissions/verification/ug-pgt

if you can validate certificates before the start of term it is the arts tower, if after it's in the discovery rooms.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/aid is the contact details if when offers and all that done if you want to check if you can take certificates in, get validated and get your student number etc.

you're amazing, thank you so much. :smile:
I am also waiting to hear back about the scholarship! Nerves are starting to kick in...
Me too! :frown:
Fingers crossed everyone, I’m certain I will starve to death or have to squat in the library if I don’t get this scholarship. 😂 Studying Software Systems & Internet Technology
I will probably have to defer or just not go! Wish there was more funding for postgraduate study :frown:
not sure what I'll do... either defer to work, travel and SAVE, or just go and really struggle financially :frown:
I will be studying Environmental & Energy engineering MSc
Got a response just now, I was successful on receiving the scholarship. I reccommend monitoring your junk folder or spam folder as that is where mine was sat. Good luck everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending