The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Entry Requirements Medicine Newcastle University

Hello, I seem to have difficulties finding all of the necessary entry requirements for the Medicine and Surgery MBBS course as they've explained it vaguely, so I would like to ask 2 questions:

What are the entry requirements for GCSE's?
Is it possible to apply to medicine in newcastle without A-level chemistry?
Reply 1
Original post by Voxxia
Hello, I seem to have difficulties finding all of the necessary entry requirements for the Medicine and Surgery MBBS course as they've explained it vaguely, so I would like to ask 2 questions:

It is on their website, but I also agree it is maybe not phrased as clearly as it should be.
https://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/a100/#entryrequirements

I don't think the MBBS Admissions Policy for 2020 is out yet

Try here, they explain it more clearly, maybe;
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Hello- I've tried doing that. All it says is that for A-levels, they require: "AAA excluding General Studies, Use of Mathematics, World Development, Communication and Culture and Critical Thinking. For Biology, Chemistry and Physics A levels, we require a pass in the practical element.". And I'm quite confused in terms of how they worded it. Like, do I need to have all biology, chemistry and physics A-levels? Or can I have 1 out of the 3?

As for the GCSE's, it says nothing about them apart from "Once the academic criteria have been met, academic achievement is not considered further in subsequent parts of the application process e.g. additional A levels or A* results or additional GCSE results are not considered"
Reply 3
Original post by Voxxia
Hello- I've tried doing that. All it says is that for A-levels, they require: "AAA excluding General Studies, Use of Mathematics, World Development, Communication and Culture and Critical Thinking. For Biology, Chemistry and Physics A levels, we require a pass in the practical element.". And I'm quite confused in terms of how they worded it. Like, do I need to have all biology, chemistry and physics A-levels? Or can I have 1 out of the 3?

As for the GCSE's, it says nothing about them apart from "Once the academic criteria have been met, academic achievement is not considered further in subsequent parts of the application process e.g. additional A levels or A* results or additional GCSE results are not considered"

It means what it says. You need 3 A levels at AAA not including the subjects mentioned.
You don't need any of biology, chemistry or physics but if you do have them, you must have passed the practical element.
That is the academic requirement.

And you need nothing in addition to this.

That is what it says. it is just that people do not believe it as it is nothing like the minimum requirements of other med schools
Reply 4
It's okay, but thank you for your time though :smile: Ahh I'll be looking forward to that
Reply 5
Original post by GANFYD
It means what it says. You need 3 A levels at AAA not including the subjects mentioned.
You don't need any of biology, chemistry or physics but if you do have them, you must have passed the practical element.
That is the academic requirement.

And you need nothing in addition to this.

That is what it says. it is just that people do not believe it as it is nothing like the minimum requirements of other med schools

That last statement were my thoughts exactly :') But thank you so much!
Reply 6
Original post by Voxxia
That last statement were my thoughts exactly :') But thank you so much!

And why I feel they should be much clearer about it. Not because it does not mean what it says on the tin or the info isn't there, but because people are going to think the tin must be missing something!!
Reply 7
You can do any of the sciences or maths for the 3xA grades just not the general course Just Maths which is an add on general subject. They don't accept 2 x maths subjects at A Level either.
Reply 8
Original post by prosmed
You can do any of the sciences or maths for the 3xA grades just not the general course Just Maths which is an add on general subject. They don't accept 2 x maths subjects at A Level either.

wait so would biology, psychology and maths be okay for AAA grades? Or would that only count as AA and the other A should be achieved in either physics or chemistry? Btw I'm sorry if this may come off as rude but did you conclude this from the entry requirements on the website or did you ask the uni?
Reply 9
Original post by GANFYD
And why I feel they should be much clearer about it. Not because it does not mean what it says on the tin or the info isn't there, but because people are going to think the tin must be missing something!!

damn I really DO hope they make it clearer :') Cuz I'm really confused at this point
Reply 10
Original post by Voxxia
damn I really DO hope they make it clearer :') Cuz I'm really confused at this point

You can have your AAA in any three A-level subjects in any combination you would like except the ones mentioned (and two different maths, two different biologies, etc)
Which bit are you finding confusing? The combination mentioned above would be fine as long as you pass the practical element of any exam that contains one
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by GANFYD
You can have your AAA in any three A-level subjects in any combination you would like except the ones mentioned (and two different maths, two different biologies, etc)
Which bit are you finding confusing? The combination mentioned above would be fine as long as you pass the practical element of any exam that contains one

then nvm :') there was another person saying something else but you seem muchmore confident with what you're saying so I'm going to just believe you. Thank you again :'))
Reply 12
Original post by Voxxia
then nvm :') there was another person saying something else but you seem muchmore confident with what you're saying so I'm going to just believe you. Thank you again :'))

I wouldn’t just believe people based on their level of confidence. Some of the biggest conmen in the business are successful because they appear so confident! (However, I am sure of what I’m saying)
Reply 13
Yes exactly. I have read the website and phoned up. Going to open day this week so will ask. Psychology is allowed at some unis such as Leicester but you will have to phone admisdions to check this at Newcastle . Usual subjects are Maths, Chemistry, Biology or instead of Maths, Physics. Just phone admissions up there.
Reply 14
Original post by prosmed
Yes exactly. I have read the website and phoned up. Going to open day this week so will ask. Psychology is allowed at some unis such as Leicester but you will have to phone admisdions to check this at Newcastle . Usual subjects are Maths, Chemistry, Biology or instead of Maths, Physics. Just phone admissions up there.

Newcastle have no requirements for any particular A-levels whatsoever. They specifically state there are no requirements for science subjects. Any three academic subjects whatsoever will be acceptable, barring the exclusions mentioned above.

There is no specific requirement at any other university except Cambridge for a third science subject, so usual advice to keep the most options open is to study chemistry, biology and any third academic subject you think you can get at least an A in
Hey Voxxia,

All the information is on our website here https://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/a100/#entryrequirements, we no longer need chemistry or biology to apply to medicine at Newcastle University :smile:

If you have anymore questions let me know and I'll get back to you.

Cheers,
Simon
Original post by Voxxia

Hi, need a clarification. International IB student, will have the academic requirements, yet to get the predicted score though. Low UCAT, 2400, band 3. Good in sports. Compete at National levels in swimming. Remember reading that, for sports persons, Newcastle might consider lowering the grade. It is mentioned in the admission process section. Can I opt for Newcastle as one of my choices?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending