The Student Room Group

Acceptance contract?

Hi there,I’m writing here about my lad. Sorry in advance if I’ve posted to the wrong place. He was offered an unconditional offer for International relations at ULIP. The 4 year degree with year placement was accepted by Lloyd and he is due to start in Sept. He has had a year out so A levels done in 2018. The degree is ran by QMUL. Yesterday Lloyd had a load of emails from his portal and ULIP and QM. Basically QM have withdrawn from the course and it will now continue under ULIP as a 3 year without placement degree. They have said it’s because QM have decided to focus on their postgraduate courses and not unders. This is 6 days before the UCAS deadline for uni choices to be submitted. We feel as parents that this is a serious let down and I’m not even sure they are operating within the law here as surely this is a breach of contract? Many thanks Fin
Original post by Finsbury1
Hi there,I’m writing here about my lad. Sorry in advance if I’ve posted to the wrong place. He was offered an unconditional offer for International relations at ULIP. The 4 year degree with year placement was accepted by Lloyd and he is due to start in Sept. He has had a year out so A levels done in 2018. The degree is ran by QMUL. Yesterday Lloyd had a load of emails from his portal and ULIP and QM. Basically QM have withdrawn from the course and it will now continue under ULIP as a 3 year without placement degree. They have said it’s because QM have decided to focus on their postgraduate courses and not unders. This is 6 days before the UCAS deadline for uni choices to be submitted. We feel as parents that this is a serious let down and I’m not even sure they are operating within the law here as surely this is a breach of contract? Many thanks Fin

ucas allows it, if they offer an acceptable alternative which they could argue that course is.
Reply 2
I’ve read the consumer protection law that applies to uni contracts and firstly they have to give you notice at the offer stage that they may have a change to the course (which up until yesterday they hadn’t and also a 4 year with placement abroad is quite different to a 3 year without placement imo. That would be absurd to think they are an ‘acceptable alternative’.
Original post by claireestelle
ucas allows it, if they offer an acceptable alternative which they could argue that course is.
Original post by Finsbury1
I’ve read the consumer protection law that applies to uni contracts and firstly they have to give you notice at the offer stage that they may have a change to the course (which up until yesterday they hadn’t and also a 4 year with placement abroad is quite different to a 3 year without placement imo. That would be absurd to think they are an ‘acceptable alternative’.

did he have offers from other universities? he may be able to have them negotiate with them to get an offer back from. He can call ucas for advice and for them to help liaise with the universities. there https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/after-you-apply/track-your-application-uni-or-college/if-your-undergraduate-course-withdrawn
Reply 4
Yes he had 3 other offers but will take the 3 years in Paris. It’s just very disappointing that a uni can treat people like this and change their courses at the very last minute. He is upset and annoyed and that is no way to treat a future student. I will be making an official complaint to QMUL as they haven’t given him fair warning of this.
Original post by claireestelle
did he have offers from other universities? he may be able to have them negotiate with them to get an offer back from. He can call ucas for advice and for them to help liaise with the universities. there https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/after-you-apply/track-your-application-uni-or-college/if-your-undergraduate-course-withdrawn

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending