The Student Room Group

Can schools give you a chance to make your predicted grades higher?

Can they or not? tell me if you have experienced this happening to you?
Yeah ofc they can, its just a matter of you convincing your teachers

My UCAS application actually got sent off with the wrong grades so I had to get my school to email the universities to get them changed
Original post by HamzaD

They predict your grades based on their impression of how you're doing and what you're likely to achieve. This can be done through mocks or AS exams.

If you do really poor on mock or AS exams then they'll most likely predict your grades accordingly.
Reply 3
what if you did not have any mocks and only had AS exams with no support?
Original post by Quick-use
They predict your grades based on their impression of how you're doing and what you're likely to achieve. This can be done through mocks or AS exams.

If you do really poor on mock or AS exams then they'll most likely predict your grades accordingly.
Reply 4
what do you mean by wrong grades and how did you know if they were wrong?
Original post by HasanQ585
Yeah ofc they can, its just a matter of you convincing your teachers

My UCAS application actually got sent off with the wrong grades so I had to get my school to email the universities to get them changed
Original post by HamzaD
what if you did not have any mocks and only had AS exams with no support?

Not sure what you mean by AS exams with no support.
Reply 6
without a sixth form...
Not sure what you mean by AS exams with no support.
Original post by HamzaD
without a sixth form...

You're completely learning A levels by yourself without any teacher? In that case, if you didn't do well on your AS exams by self-studying, it might be that you'll struggle on your A level exams.
Original post by HamzaD
without a sixth form...

hey u dozy cow, ur gonna fail x
Reply 9
no it was only 1 subject anyway which I think I did bad in but haven't got the results yet and I'm not doing A levels by myself obviously. What I meant was would the teachers in the sixth form I'm going to be less strict with me as I did not do mocks and had nobody to help me compared to others.
You're completely learning A levels by yourself without any teacher? In that case, if you didn't do well on your AS exams by self-studying, it might be that you'll struggle on your A level exams.
Original post by HamzaD

They definitely can, I did piss poor in my AS exams but held steady grades throughout my second year and got my predicted changed from BCC to ABB. This may not be amazing but it's what I needed so I was fine with that. I had to basically challenge the teachers and basically place a bet on whether or not I'd achieve a certain grade in the next test. Needless to say, it worked
Yes, they can and mine did. Have a chat with your teacher in charge of the subject - it'd also depend on if you've shown consistent work ethic and make them sure that you CAN achieve the predicted grade. Perhaps mention how you are going to make this possible!
Original post by HamzaD
Original post by HamzaD
no it was only 1 subject anyway which I think I did bad in but haven't got the results yet and I'm not doing A levels by myself obviously. What I meant was would the teachers in the sixth form I'm going to be less strict with me as I did not do mocks and had nobody to help me compared to others.

Sorry, I'm not sure what to advise here. You originally said that you were without a sixth form but now you're saying that you do, in fact, go to a sixth form...

I think the best thing for you would be to talk to your teachers and discuss grade predictions with them. You should also maybe issue a formal complaint if you believe that everyone else in the school is being given help with the exams while you're not.
Original post by Kaneki Amano
They definitely can, I did piss poor in my AS exams but held steady grades throughout my second year and got my predicted changed from BCC to ABB. This may not be amazing but it's what I needed so I was fine with that. I had to basically challenge the teachers and basically place a bet on whether or not I'd achieve a certain grade in the next test. Needless to say, it worked

Good job! What did you end up getting for your A levels?
Good job! What did you end up getting for your A levels?

I got four Bs 😭😭😭 Honestly thought I'd get an A minimum in psychology but then again it's a miracle I got a B in chemistry after I butchered the first paper. Then there was Biology with a B and I was meh. Don't really mind that

The other 🐝 was for an EPQ I did and I wasn't really fussed with that either
Original post by Kaneki Amano
I got four Bs 😭😭😭 Honestly thought I'd get an A minimum in psychology but then again it's a miracle I got a B in chemistry after I butchered the first paper. Then there was Biology with a B and I was meh. Don't really mind that

The other 🐝 was for an EPQ I did and I wasn't really fussed with that either

That's still very well done! Huge improvement than the BCC that your teacher initially predicted. :fluffy: Well done. What have you gone on to do?
That's still very well done! Huge improvement than the BCC that your teacher initially predicted. :fluffy: Well done. What have you gone on to do?

Thank you :smile: I took a gap year out to get some money but I'll be going into Bioengineering this September. I'll have to do a foundation year since I didn't have the required maths/physics but at least I'm in now
Reply 17
Original post by HamzaD

They can but not always. I wouldn't worry about it too much but if you want to have a wider choice of universities, then doing well in internal mocks/AS exams is imperative.
I managed to put pressure on a couple of my teachers to bump a couple of my predicted grades up by one, but one is probably about the limit of what's possible. They get very stingy for some reason.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending