The Student Room Group

OASC 19 Fitness

Hi guys, I am currently waiting on my date for OASC after my medical and I've seen a few posts saying that you now do a 2.4 km treadmill run instead of the bleep test, just wondering which it is as at my interview I was told it was the bleep test.
Thanks
Reply 1
Hi,

I can speak as someone who's going through this right now. I had my medical early May, and within a few days I was called to arrange my Pre Joining Fitness Test. This was news to me (as it is to you!) as I was also expecting to do a bleep test at OASC.

I was told it was part of the new OASC format and it would involve a 2.4km treadmill run (0% incline) in <11:11 (for a male 18-29), followed (almost immediately, approx 1-2 minutes rest) by max press ups in a minute (pass mark 20, but aim for 40), then max sit ups in a minute (pass mark 35, aim for 41).

I successfully passed my fitness test in June and I'm waiting for my OASC date now. I've been told the "new" 1 day OASC start in August so I assume I'll be getting a date around then, and not before. I've also heard the new OASC Interview is considerably shorter than the previous one. Less than 15 minutes but I might be wrong.

I don't know if I'll need to do a bleep test at any point of the application but I'm going by the assumption that I will, and will continue to train as such.

Good luck! What are you applying for? We might end up on the same OASC!
Original post by Alec.g
Hi guys, I am currently waiting on my date for OASC after my medical and I've seen a few posts saying that you now do a 2.4 km treadmill run instead of the bleep test, just wondering which it is as at my interview I was told it was the bleep test.
Thanks
Hi!

I can confirm this post is pretty accurate, I just passed my fitness on 30th June, which was held at my local gym with some civilian PTs. Still waiting to hear back with an OASC date, but my AFCO today said that they've requested OASC dates from Cranwell and they're just waiting to hear back from them.

Luckily my AFCO filter interview went well, and the OC told me about the new OASC format, so I knew the fitness test would be separate. I'm pretty sure there's no fitness at OASC, but there will be another one before training. Not sure exactly when or what it is, so if anyone knows that would be helpful!

I managed to book my fitness about 10 days after my medical, so if you phone up your AFCO immediately after the medical, you can get it done really quickly. Good to get another stage out of the way. I was told the interview at OASC will be 12 minutes long - intimidating stuff!!

Original post by fgalv
Hi,

I can speak as someone who's going through this right now. I had my medical early May, and within a few days I was called to arrange my Pre Joining Fitness Test. This was news to me (as it is to you!) as I was also expecting to do a bleep test at OASC.

I was told it was part of the new OASC format and it would involve a 2.4km treadmill run (0% incline) in <11:11 (for a male 18-29), followed (almost immediately, approx 1-2 minutes rest) by max press ups in a minute (pass mark 20, but aim for 40), then max sit ups in a minute (pass mark 35, aim for 41).

I successfully passed my fitness test in June and I'm waiting for my OASC date now. I've been told the "new" 1 day OASC start in August so I assume I'll be getting a date around then, and not before. I've also heard the new OASC Interview is considerably shorter than the previous one. Less than 15 minutes but I might be wrong.

I don't know if I'll need to do a bleep test at any point of the application but I'm going by the assumption that I will, and will continue to train as such.

Good luck! What are you applying for? We might end up on the same OASC!
Reply 3
There is no fitness test during OASC boarding as you will have already completed one. If you are selected, you will be required to undertake and pass the RAF fitness Test during the familiarisation visit, so keep your fitness training up throughout the whole selection journey. In terms of the interview, the OASC interview will be around 12 minutes but your performance at the OASC selection process, CBAT if applicable and Filter Interview will be taken into account when OASC make their selection decision.
Original post by user20173947
Hi!

I can confirm this post is pretty accurate, I just passed my fitness on 30th June, which was held at my local gym with some civilian PTs. Still waiting to hear back with an OASC date, but my AFCO today said that they've requested OASC dates from Cranwell and they're just waiting to hear back from them.

Luckily my AFCO filter interview went well, and the OC told me about the new OASC format, so I knew the fitness test would be separate. I'm pretty sure there's no fitness at OASC, but there will be another one before training. Not sure exactly when or what it is, so if anyone knows that would be helpful!

I managed to book my fitness about 10 days after my medical, so if you phone up your AFCO immediately after the medical, you can get it done really quickly. Good to get another stage out of the way. I was told the interview at OASC will be 12 minutes long - intimidating stuff!!
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi,

So just to confirm the 1 day OASC will consist of the leadership and leaderless exercises, individual planning exercise, the group discussion and the 12 minute interview?

I'm booked on a PJFT on the 4th August.
Reply 5
The new process consists of the discussion, planning exercise, leaderless and command situation exercise. If you score high enough, you will go through to the interview which will last around 12 minutes majoring on your motivation and awareness.
Original post by SmutsReport
Hi,

So just to confirm the 1 day OASC will consist of the leadership and leaderless exercises, individual planning exercise, the group discussion and the 12 minute interview?

I'm booked on a PJFT on the 4th August.
Reply 6
Original post by Fast74
The new process consists of the discussion, planning exercise, leaderless and command situation exercise. If you score high enough, you will go through to the interview which will last around 12 minutes majoring on your motivation and awareness.

I was told that you do the bleep test at OASC, with the rest of the fitness being done separately as mentioned above!
Reply 7
Original post by Ashj92
I was told that you do the bleep test at OASC, with the rest of the fitness being done separately as mentioned above!

You do not do a fitness test as part of the OASC selection day. Fitness testing is done at the beginning of the process through the AFCO and is called the Pre-joining Fitness Test (PJFT). This is a 1.5 mile treadmill run followed by press-ups and sit-ups. At the moment, if you are selected, you will be required to pass the RAF fitness test as part of the Familiarisation Visit prior to commencing training. The RAFFT is a bleep test followed by press-ups and sit-ups.

Quick Reply

Latest