The Student Room Group

My A-level subjects

I currently am studying Biology, Psychology and sociology. After I’ve completed them in my gap year I am doing chemistry AS level. For anyone who does veterinary medicine at university or has been offered a conditional, will I get an offer when I apply to uni’s next year? Also, what grades did people get who are doing veterinary?
Original post by Charllllll
I currently am studying Biology, Psychology and sociology. After I’ve completed them in my gap year I am doing chemistry AS level. For anyone who does veterinary medicine at university or has been offered a conditional, will I get an offer when I apply to uni’s next year? Also, what grades did people get who are doing veterinary?

You need A levels in both Chemistry and Biology getting A's in both. Some university's accept a B in a third subject but some want 3 A's. Plus there is a requirement for work experience which varies between places.
Reply 2
I thought so:/ Liverpool university don’t require you to have Chemistry A-level. But if it’s not been done at A-level they expect you to have 3 A-levels and then Chemistry AS level at grade B or above. Do you think I am really limiting my options by having my heart set on going to Liverpool??
Original post by Choppygirl11
You need A levels in both Chemistry and Biology getting A's in both. Some university's accept a B in a third subject but some want 3 A's. Plus there is a requirement for work experience which varies between places.
You are making your life incredibly tough if you limit your application to one university. Most apply to 4 and if they are lucky get one or two offers, only the odd person gets four offers. You would be advised to try and do the full A level Chemistry if at all possible, both to enable you to apply to more universities, and also to help you cope with the course when you are there.

I thought so:/ Liverpool university don’t require you to have Chemistry A-level. But if it’s not been done at A-level they expect you to have 3 A-levels and then Chemistry AS level at grade B or above. Do you think I am really limiting my options by having my heart set on going to Liverpool??
Original post by animalmagic
You are making your life incredibly tough if you limit your application to one university. Most apply to 4 and if they are lucky get one or two offers, only the odd person gets four offers. You would be advised to try and do the full A level Chemistry if at all possible, both to enable you to apply to more universities, and also to help you cope with the course when you are there.

I agree and Liverpool want 3 A's and the admissions guy at the recent open day said they rarely accept lower grades. You want to give yourself as much of a chance as possible as even those with good grades and work experience don't get offers.

The university websites have a lot of useful information on to be prepared what they require. If me and my daughter hadn't have looked after Christmas we wouldn't have released all the requirement with regards to work experience and some places you have to apply in advance ie for lambing etc
Reply 5
That’s true. I don’t think I will be capable of getting an A in chemistry though. I reckon I’d get a C or maybe a B if I’m really lucky. I got an A at GCSE but I’ve looked at the content that’s involved for A-level and I don’t think I would do really well with year 2 content. So I don’t want to waste my time doing something that’s going to involve me having to stay an extra year at sixth form and at the end get a bad grade in chemistry that won’t get me anywhere. Really stuck and just don’t know what I should do. I think maybe I might have to apply to courses for veterinary nursing.
That’s true. I don’t think I will be capable of getting an A in chemistry though. I reckon I’d get a C or maybe a B if I’m really lucky. I got an A at GCSE but I’ve looked at the content that’s involved for A-level and I don’t think I would do really well with year 2 content. So I don’t want to waste my time doing something that’s going to involve me having to stay an extra year at sixth form and at the end get a bad grade in chemistry that won’t get me anywhere. Really stuck and just don’t know what I should do. I think maybe I might have to apply to courses for veterinary nursing.

How do you know you won't do well before even trying to learn it? If you'll only be doing 1 subject after finishing your others you could do chem in one year. Or you could do AS chem in year 13 and do a2 in year 14/gap year.
Reply 7
Yeah your right to be fair. I mean I could do AS chemistry in year 14 in my gap year and if I still don’t get accepted at Liverpool stay another year to complete the whole A-level instead. Which I can get more work experience in, even though by the end of summer next year I will have completed a lot of placements.
Original post by black1blade
How do you know you won't do well before even trying to learn it? If you'll only be doing 1 subject after finishing your others you could do chem in one year. Or you could do AS chem in year 13 and do a2 in year 14/gap year.
Veterinary nursing is a very different degree leading to a very different job at the end but I presume you realise that. If you really want to do veterinary medicine and not nursing then you'd be far better putting everything into getting that A level chemistry.

Reply 9
Oh yeah I know that. No where near as rewarding as it would be the be a veterinary surgeon and it limits my pathways when I leave university. Think I will definitely think about it all over my holidays after I’ve done my progression exams. I’m just not the typical ‘vet girl’ I guess. I’m very much into my social life and fitness aswell as I am my academic future. I’m an independent person with a lot of motivation and commitment just not as clever as I would like to be.
Original post by animalmagic
Veterinary nursing is a very different degree leading to a very different job at the end but I presume you realise that. If you really want to do veterinary medicine and not nursing then you'd be far better putting everything into getting that A level chemistry.
Oh yeah I know that. No where near as rewarding as it would be the be a veterinary surgeon and it limits my pathways when I leave university. Think I will definitely think about it all over my holidays after I’ve done my progression exams. I’m just not the typical ‘vet girl’ I guess. I’m very much into my social life and fitness aswell as I am my academic future. I’m an independent person with a lot of motivation and commitment just not as clever as I would like to be.

I’ve always had the attitude that I can do anything I want to, as long as I want to do it enough. I have made myself do things totally out with my comfort zone so I can progress. I don’t think you have to be that clever to be a vet, you just have to work extraordinarily hard and have to want it enough and be prepared to go to plan A, B and C if necessary.
Have more than one plan as there can always be problems with Plan A. I don’t think you have very clever to be a vet, you just have to work very, very hard.
You realistically need A level chemistry to have a fair chance
And yes, it can be an incredibly hard A level - but as someone that went from an actual fail grade at AS to an A at A2 trust me if you work hard enough it is possible to get the grade you need for veterinary.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending