The Student Room Group

Body image problems

I’m 14 and I’ve been so obsessed with dieting now the majority of my life in fear of any food I eat. One minute I’m alright with my shape, the next I HATE this belly fat I see and my fat thighs. I workout and everything, and I can’t even tell now if I’m the right weight or not, my BMI says I’m average but the mirror doesn’t, people say I’m ‘thicc’ so I just don’t even know anymore if I’m fat, chubby or slim.
Love yourself! There are a lot of people worse off than you there are people who are really big, chances are you’re probably not you’re just over thinking. Also no one cares, I don’t mean that in a mean way but like no one really cares if you’ve got a bit of belly fat and you’ll find the average person usually does.

If you really want to loose weight go to the gym and do some exercise, eat a balanced diet etc.
Original post by Nathalieslayne
I’m 14 and I’ve been so obsessed with dieting now the majority of my life in fear of any food I eat. One minute I’m alright with my shape, the next I HATE this belly fat I see and my fat thighs. I workout and everything, and I can’t even tell now if I’m the right weight or not, my BMI says I’m average but the mirror doesn’t, people say I’m ‘thicc’ so I just don’t even know anymore if I’m fat, chubby or slim.

Hey. This is something I can 100% relate with and I struggled with it a few months ago at my current age 20. Now for me its a thing of the past so it goes to show that you can stop thinking that way its just up to you.

Firstly you are just 14. You shouldn't care much about what you look like at that age because you are still growing

Best advice I can give and what worked for me most is to exercise but.. to see it as something fun/therapeutic rather than changing your body. Its best that you are happy the way you are, instead of relying on an end goal. Instead work out to beat your previous records, or get involved in a sport. If you get involved in a sport now and stick to it by the time you get to uni you will be amazing at it.

At age 14 you need to be eating enough. Lots of kids your age eat a lot of junk. Junk is okay in moderation. Make sure you are getting enough vegetables,fruits,carbs,proteins. Basically proper foods!! Limit fast food to only social occasions. Drink enough water, eat enough food (you need food to grow) but make sure its good quality food. Don't look at Keto,Low Carb, and the various other fad diets out there its all about subtle lifestyle changes.

Also what you see on social media is the top 1% of people, with photoshop magic.
(edited 4 years ago)
I completely get it. I'm 16 and my BMI also says I'm average but I know I'm fatter than the average girl my age. I don't mind it too much but I'd like to be skinnier, but it's very confusing because some people have called me fat, and some have actually said to me 'eat a sandwich'. My point is, any angle you look at it there's always going to be someone who doesn't like a certain body image. You can't adopt them all!
Your bone structure also probably differs from what you see in real life on others and on models. If your BMI is average, you're healthy. If you want to eat healthier and workout, go for it, but it won't necessarily change what you see if you're already pretty fit!
Maybe your opinion on your body alters with your body. When you eat a meal you become more bloated, it's absolutely normal and happens to EVERYONE - even the people you don't think it does! Love yourself either way. Your body is yours, not anybody else's, it's not your duty to hate it, it's your duty to look after it! Do your duty! xD
Thankyou so much, it helps a lot to know I’m not the only one and hopefully I’ll grow and loose some of the excess fat
Original post by SuperHuman98
Hey. This is something I can 100% relate with and I struggled with it a few months ago at my current age 20. Now for me its a thing of the past so it goes to show that you can stop thinking that way its just up to you.

Firstly you are just 14. You shouldn't care much about what you look like at that age because you are still growing

Best advice I can give and what worked for me most is to exercise but.. to see it as something fun/therapeutic rather than changing your body. Its best that you are happy the way you are, instead of relying on an end goal. Instead work out to beat your previous records, or get involved in a sport. If you get involved in a sport now and stick to it by the time you get to uni you will be amazing at it.

At age 14 you need to be eating enough. Lots of kids your age eat a lot of junk. Junk is okay in moderation. Make sure you are getting enough vegetables,fruits,carbs,proteins. Basically proper foods!! Limit fast food to only social occasions. Drink enough water, eat enough food (you need food to grow) but make sure its good quality food. Don't look at Keto,Low Carb, and the various other fad diets out there its all about subtle lifestyle changes.

Also what you see on social media is the top 1% of people, with photoshop magic.
Thankyou and youre right I should just love the image I have and be grateful not constantly complain and try and alter x
Original post by understress
I completely get it. I'm 16 and my BMI also says I'm average but I know I'm fatter than the average girl my age. I don't mind it too much but I'd like to be skinnier, but it's very confusing because some people have called me fat, and some have actually said to me 'eat a sandwich'. My point is, any angle you look at it there's always going to be someone who doesn't like a certain body image. You can't adopt them all!
Your bone structure also probably differs from what you see in real life on others and on models. If your BMI is average, you're healthy. If you want to eat healthier and workout, go for it, but it won't necessarily change what you see if you're already pretty fit!
Maybe your opinion on your body alters with your body. When you eat a meal you become more bloated, it's absolutely normal and happens to EVERYONE - even the people you don't think it does! Love yourself either way. Your body is yours, not anybody else's, it's not your duty to hate it, it's your duty to look after it! Do your duty! xD

Quick Reply

Latest