The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nulli tertius
What is the current membership fee? Find me an application form for membership? Find me anyone who has ever been expelled from membership?

Different states have different laws about primaries. Generally speaking, you can register with the State authorities, not with a Party as a Republican or a Democrat in which case you can only vote in that primary and if you register as neither then either you cannot vote in a primary or you can vote in either but not both primaries.

But registering as a Republican or a Democrat with the state electoral authorities does not make you a member of a membership organisation.

Uniquely, in the USA, a political party is a committee of activists. What is registered with the Federal Election Commission is the Democratic National Committee and the Republican National Committee. They both have about 300 members. This is then repeated at state and county level.

http://my.democrats.org/page/s/join-the-democrats-today

Do you know what filling in that form does?

It sends you your State's voter registration form to register as a Democrat with its State electoral commission

https://www.democrats.org/more/terms-of-service

(see para 2)
Original post by zhog
Very few people in the party will have the appetite for her to be the leader at the next election, she is totally discredited and it would be a serious indictment of their state if the Tories couldn't find an alternative to such gamble. Give it a couple of years and see who pops up but the vacancy is there to fill. It would have already, if only there was someone else.

I absolutely agree that she isn't a great campaigner and arguably, not a great leader. I just don't agree with all the blame that's put on her only.

There's plenty of people ready to take over and capable of doing so, but the grey heads aren't letting them. I don't think that a leadership distraction is a good idea too considering that the Brexit negotiations are planned to pick up pace.
Original post by Democrat
I don't think that a leadership distraction is a good idea too considering that the Brexit negotiations are planned to pick up pace.

Not now or for the near future, if they manage not to buckle under the pressure. But there will have to be a new leader at the next election, she really made herself too much of a muppet and lost all credibility to lead anything or anyone. How can anyone trust her judgement on anything now?
Original post by zhog
Not now or for the near future, if they manage not to buckle under the pressure. But there will have to be a new leader at the next election, she really made herself too much of a muppet and lost all credibility to lead anything or anyone. How can anyone trust her judgement on anything now?

After this many U-turns I don't think that she's a credible statesman at all, and I think she knows it which explains the lack of her in public life. May-led GE would lead to constituencies turning red for sure.
Yes
It’s kinda undemocratic
Original post by Laurence010401
Yes
It’s kinda undemocratic

Please don’t bump 2yr old threads @RoyalSheepy can this be locked please
Original post by niteninja1
Please don’t bump 2yr old threads @RoyalSheepy can this be locked please

Normally I wouldn’t but since there happens to be a Tory leadership contest at this time

Latest

Trending

Trending