The Student Room Group

Internet's biggest pro trump community banned for advocating murder of cops

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 134841422
fortunately, I do

and in anticipation of your reply,
it doesn't apply to private companies and their internet forums - a company gets to chose what they need to allow to maximize profit

This is the equivalent of say a country banning a person/group from using printing presses. the whole private company argument it wholly flawed as they control and influence so much of our lives, nor does it mean the site is automatically right, I mean TSR could ban all black people from the site but it wouldnt be morally right.
Reply 21
Original post by AperfectBalance
This is the equivalent of say a country banning a person/group from using printing presses. the whole private company argument it wholly flawed as they control and influence so much of our lives, nor does it mean the site is automatically right, I mean TSR could ban all black people from the site but it wouldnt be morally right.

wrong, very embarrassingly, wrong.
it's more like there's a popular printing press that a fck tonn of people use from which you are banned due to you printing stuff that advocates for violence/murder/discrimination, but there are still a million other presses on the internet you can use and you can even make your own printing press - thereby your freedom of speech is not being infringed upon

by your logic, I can come into your house and hurl all the abuse at you I can, but I shouldn't be removed from your house because then my freedom of speech is being fringed upon

as for your second point, that's true - but fortunately we live in a world where that's not legal - however banning people for advocating murder and violence/hate-speech/breaking site rules is
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by SomMC1
why dont you include that a new post in the_donald supporting cops has over 9k upvotes in 1 hour? That just wouldnt spread the hate and give you the 6 seconds of attention you crave. Oh well..

You sound like Islamist apologists 'but muh peace' who completely ignore the rotten core of their ideology.
Reply 23
Original post by That'sGreat
Considering theres an anti-police subreddit which almost 24/7 calls for police to be killed, yet this hasn't been taken down, shows it's much more to do with politics than actual death threats.

Could you link to those death threats.
Reply 24
Original post by Ascend
You sound like Islamist apologists 'but muh peace' who completely ignore the rotten core of their ideology.

thank you

I don't know why these people are getting defensive, fact is majority of people on that subreddit are pure filth
I have many conservative friends, and we disagree on a lot of stuff, but that doesn't mean they advocate murder/incitement of violence/discrimination against those who they perceive to be in the wrong

I don't hate Trump, heck a lot of his policies I support (like taking down affirmative action and reducing the number of significant regulations) but I do despise the average Trump supporter, they are nothing more than a cultist, they will follow Trump blindly like ISIS members and their caliphate, nothing else matters, not the truth, not logic, not social cohesion, nothing
majority of his hardcore supporters are uneducated filthy anti-intellectuals who have no place in modern society, and some I assume might be good people
(edited 4 years ago)
wrong, very embarrassingly, wrong.
it's more like there's a popular printing press that a fck tonn of people use from which you are banned due to you printing stuff that advocates for violence/murder/discrimination, but there are still a million other presses on the internet you can use and you can even make your own printing press - thereby your freedom of speech is not being infringed upon

by your logic, I can come into your house and hurl all the abuse at you I can, but I shouldn't be removed from your house because then my freedom of speech is being fringed upon

as for your second point, that's true - but fortunately we live in a world where that's not legal - however banning people for advocating murder and violence/hate-speech/breaking site rules is

I dont think you have a clue how how powerful the main social media platforms are.

and no by my logic you cannot you coming in my house is a breech of my private property plus being banned from my house is nowhere near as major as being banned from some of the biggest social medias.

They dont and will not ban the leftists advocating for murder.
(edited 4 years ago)
Since nobody has noticed or said anything yet, contrary to the title T_D has not been banned. Reddit have put up a warning page that you have to click through similar to the pages shown before trying to enter NSFW subreddits, and I assume they've also rolled back their options for formatting and banners. But the subreddit is still there, you can still subscribe and post, there's no new blocks or moderation enforcements (although the sub's mods are most likely on high alert for the forseeable future to avoid going down the same road as subs that were banned) and there has been no mass purge of their content, subscriber base or admin team. All the garbage content that is non-violent is still there for its userbase to furiously masturbate over.

Personally I'm just basking in the irony of a community that came staunchly to the defense of private companies doing stuff like choosing against serving cakes to homosexuals, having a collective aneurism over another private company choosing to make their platform slightly less visible.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 27

They dont and will not ban the leftists advocating for murder.

private is private - it doesn't matter if it's online or some real estate - there's still millions if not billions of sites they could use to spread their rhetoric - you're not pissed that they're infringing free speech, you're pissed that what is popular isn't what you like
also, I'm sure if there was a subreddit as large as TD that advocated for murder, they too would be banned

I know it's hard, but please try to use facts an logic in your arguments
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 28
saying banned sounded more inflammatory than 'quarantined'

and yes, I find the irony immensely amusing too
everyone wants free market capitalism until it doesn't work for them
(edited 4 years ago)
private is private - it doesn't matter if it's online or some real estate - there's still millions if not billions of sites they could use to spread their rhetoric - you're not pissed that they're infringing free speech, you're pissed that what is popular isn't what you like
also, I'm sure if there was a subreddit as large as TD that advocated for murder, they too would be banned

I know it's hard, but please try to use facts an logic in your arguments

A house is far different from a very large online forum, and sure whilst what I like is very much not popular, doesnt mean that it should be silenced, especially when they still have communities that still call for 'capitalists' to be killed or removed and how attacking a nazi (probably not an actual nazi but any conservative) is acceptable.

I mean you are the one comparing someone coming in person to insult me to and online forum arent you.
Reply 30
A house is far different from a very large online forum, and sure whilst what I like is very much not popular, doesnt mean that it should be silenced, especially when they still have communities that still call for 'capitalists' to be killed or removed and how attacking a nazi (probably not an actual nazi but any conservative) is acceptable.

I mean you are the one comparing someone coming in person to insult me to and online forum arent you.

again, you can say whatever you want but (say it with me):
private is private
again, you can say whatever you want but (say it with me):
private is private

Got your daily dose of smug?

Can we also agree there is a difference between me saying "I dont like you" on some online place and me walking into your house and standing by you and saying "I dont like you" ?
Reply 32
Got your daily dose of smug?

Can we also agree there is a difference between me saying "I dont like you" on some online place and me walking into your house and standing by you and saying "I dont like you" ?

there's literally no difference

let's say I make and online forum, right? I pay the domain fees and make other small investments (WITH MY OWN MONEY) such as renting out server space to store the data of my site's users, etc, etc.
now, I can use their data to help pay my own bills by selling it to companies so they can advertise to specific demographics (and remember, this is all legal, it's the stuff the user agrees to when he 'accepts terms and conditions' and allows cookies)

now, some of these companies which are paying the big bucks that are essential to keep my site running threaten to stop doing business with me unless I curb some of the more extremist content on my site (as like any normal company they don't want to have bad PR by being associated with such extremists)

now, what you're saying is that I should do nothing at all and allow my site to be shutdown and hence lose money I invested/not turn a profit just for the sake of free speech (which doesn't even apply to private platforms anyways)? even though this is a private, for profit company that I made and is not subsidized by the government at all

yeah, good logic there

when you get older, you'll thank me for this short lesson in business - it will make accepting reality more easy
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 33
Arseward tribalistic useful idiots.
there's literally no difference

let's say I make and online forum, right? I pay the domain fees and make other small investments (WITH MY OWN MONEY) such as renting out server space to store the data of my site's users, etc, etc.
now, I can use their data to help pay my own bills by selling it to companies so they can advertise to specific demographics (and remember, this is all legal, it's the stuff the user agrees to when he 'accepts terms and conditions' and allows cookies)

now, some of these companies which are paying the big bucks that are essential to keep my site running threaten to stop doing business with me unless I curb some of the more extremist content on my site (as like any normal company they don't want to have bad PR by being associated with such extremists)

now, what you're saying is that I should do nothing at all and allow my site to be shutdown and hence lose money I invested/not turn a profit just for the sake of civil liberties? even though this is a private, for profit company that I made and is not subsidized by the government at all

yeah, good logic there

when you get older, you'll thank me for this short lesson in business - it will make accepting reality more easy

Reddit seems to be doing fine with all the other very questionable content on the website, especially the leftist content that is just as violent.

And yes there is a very clear difference, if I was online and said to someone "I am going to beat you up" you would probably brush it off as some idiot, if some guy turned up uninvited and said "I am going to beat you up" you probably would take things a bit more seriously and rightly so. This whole 'private is private' thing really is flawed and even with your lack of logic you do not even take into account if something is right or wrong, just 'it makes money so its fine'

and sure it is legal but so? slavery was once legal, doesnt make it morally right, the main argument here is not "ITS AGAINST THE LAW TO DO THIS" the main argument that it isnt the right thing to do.

My argment was never about the financial side of this so its pretty pointless thinking that you have outsmarted me, especially with such smug comments.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 35
Reply 36
Reddit seems to be doing fine with all the other very questionable content on the website, especially the leftist content that is just as violent.

And yes there is a very clear difference, if I was online and said to someone "I am going to beat you up" you would probably brush it off as some idiot, if some guy turned up invited and said "I am going to beat you up" you probably would take things a bit more seriously and rightly so. This whole 'private is private' thing really is flawed and even with your lack of logic you do not even take into account if something is right or wrong, just 'it makes money so its fine'

and sure it is legal but so? slavery was once legal, doesnt make it morally right, the main argument here is not "ITS AGAINST THE LAW TO DO THIS" the main argument that it isnt the right thing to do.

My argment was never about the financial side of this so its pretty pointless thinking that you have outsmarted me, especially with such smug comments.

whatever you say buddy
I'm guessing you're planning on never being an employer and just remaining an employee
whatever you say buddy
I'm guessing you're planning on never being an employer and just remaining an employee

Im waiting for you to push your MLM on me or something now.
Reply 38
Im waiting for you to push your MLM on me or something now.

if I did, you'd be dumb enough to take it
The internet giants are going to have to decide if they want to be platforms or publishers soon enough.. They can't keep being regulated like one, and acting like the other.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending