The Student Room Group

I don't want a joint bday (turning 21)

So my parents suggested to have a joint birthday with my sister. I'm turning 21 and I already told them I really don't like the idea (I'm strongly against it) since:

I'm turning 21 - which is an important birthday for a lot of people

Our birthdays are 2 weeks apart, I could understand if our birthdays were 1-5 days apart but they're not even that close

Generally, joint birthdays with your siblings are when you're both children (like 11 year olds) and we're both young adults so it's weird

Plus we both have different ideas on what to do for our birthdays in terms of the venue, what we're doing, I want to invite my friends, she wants to invite her friends (our friends don't know each other obviously) etc so it'd be really awkward.

Please don't think I'm being ungrateful because I can assure you I am very grateful towards my parents and my family, but I just think it's really weird to make a 21 year old share their bday with a 17 year old.

TLDR: I'm turning 21, sibling is turning 17. Parents want to share our birthdays (even though there's 2 weeks between our birthdays)
To be honest with you I agree.
At that age I wouldn't want to do a joint birthday

Are you wanting advice for something or did you just come to rant though
I don't really see a question as such
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
So my parents suggested to have a joint birthday with my sister. I'm turning 21 and I already told them I really don't like the idea (I'm strongly against it) since:

I'm turning 21 - which is an important birthday for a lot of people

Our birthdays are 2 weeks apart, I could understand if our birthdays were 1-5 days apart but they're not even that close

Generally, joint birthdays with your siblings are when you're both children (like 11 year olds) and we're both young adults so it's weird

Plus we both have different ideas on what to do for our birthdays in terms of the venue, what we're doing, I want to invite my friends, she wants to invite her friends (our friends don't know each other obviously) etc so it'd be really awkward.

Please don't think I'm being ungrateful because I can assure you I am very grateful towards my parents and my family, but I just think it's really weird to make a 21 year old share their bday with a 17 year old.

TLDR: I'm turning 21, sibling is turning 17. Parents want to share our birthdays (even though there's 2 weeks between our birthdays)

It's your birthday - celebrate it how you want to.

If the issue is that your parents are only willing to pay for a party joint with your sibling, then suck it up and accept that is generous or pay for it yourself and get to do whatever you want.

But either way try not to fall out with your parents over it - you probably won't feel like celebrating and nor will they if the party is more aggravation than its worth.
I know exactly what you mean, its not ungrateful its a very normal thing not to want to share a birthday let alone your last big one for ages!! Twenty one should be all about you, and you should get what you want (within reason) so perhaps say that you won't have a joint birthday - its not that you're unhappy and will do it any way but that its just not in the cards - and if worst come to worst organise to go out with your friends that night as the celebration? I'd rather do that then have something forced upon me.
Reply 4
For anyone who's confused why this thread is identical to mine it's because i originally posted it anonymously and i forgot :colondollar:

Here's my thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6019450

I will reply to those who's replied/replying in this thread, don't worry I'm not ignoring you
Reply 5
Original post by AzureCeleste
To be honest with you I agree.
At that age I wouldn't want to do a joint birthday

Are you wanting advice for something or did you just come to rant though
I don't really see a question as such

Hi, this is my thread I posted anonymously then forgot about it.

The question was basically: is it unfair or weird to have a joint 21st bday with a younger sibling

And I was asking for people's opinions and views on this in general.

Here's my thread https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6019450
Reply 6
Original post by Jennie1987
I know exactly what you mean, its not ungrateful its a very normal thing not to want to share a birthday let alone your last big one for ages!! Twenty one should be all about you, and you should get what you want (within reason) so perhaps say that you won't have a joint birthday - its not that you're unhappy and will do it any way but that its just not in the cards - and if worst come to worst organise to go out with your friends that night as the celebration? I'd rather do that then have something forced upon me.

thank you, and I agree 100%.
Reply 7
Original post by nk2321
It's your birthday - celebrate it how you want to.

If the issue is that your parents are only willing to pay for a party joint with your sibling, then suck it up and accept that is generous or pay for it yourself and get to do whatever you want.

But either way try not to fall out with your parents over it - you probably won't feel like celebrating and nor will they if the party is more aggravation than its worth.

Thank you, and true I don't want to cause a huge argument over it since it will ruin the day and cause tension with everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending