The Student Room Group

John Lewis & Partners - Group assessment

Hi everyone! I've got an interview tomorrow with John Lewis and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice? I've read through a couple of threads on the JL interview and it seems really daunting.. any help would be most appreciated! Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by science_geeks
Hi everyone! I've got an interview tomorrow with John Lewis and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice? I've read through a couple of threads on the JL interview and it seems really daunting.. any help would be most appreciated! Thank you :smile:

Look up common interview questions and come up with some answers in your head. Make sure you're dressed smartly and practice breathing techniques to help you stay calm. Group interviews are always daunting because you are literally in the same room as your competition and you can see what you're up against. You have to just try your best and make sure you stand out against the others.
Original post by DrawTheLine
Look up common interview questions and come up with some answers in your head. Make sure you're dressed smartly and practice breathing techniques to help you stay calm. Group interviews are always daunting because you are literally in the same room as your competition and you can see what you're up against. You have to just try your best and make sure you stand out against the others.

Ah yeah sure, what would you suggest wearing? I've got a red formal dress that I could wear with tights and a black blazer? Although, I have read somewhere that the only 'real' colour that's allowed in business is black and so I was thinking of wearing a black and white polka dot top that has a white collar. Also, lots of people say to keep makeup to a minimum, so I'm thinking to go with just a light coat of mascara, no eyeliner or foundation or anything. Thank you!
Ah yeah sure, what would you suggest wearing? I've got a red formal dress that I could wear with tights and a black blazer? Although, I have read somewhere that the only 'real' colour that's allowed in business is black and so I was thinking of wearing a black and white polka dot top that has a white collar. Also, lots of people say to keep makeup to a minimum, so I'm thinking to go with just a light coat of mascara, no eyeliner or foundation or anything. Thank you!

Both of those options sound good. When I had a group interview at a different company, i wore a black pencil skirt, a peachy colour blouse and a black blazer. As long as your makeup is light then it's fine, foundation is fine as long as it isn't cakey.
Both of those options sound good. When I had a group interview at a different company, i wore a black pencil skirt, a peachy colour blouse and a black blazer. As long as your makeup is light then it's fine, foundation is fine as long as it isn't cakey.

Awesome, I think I'll stick to the black and white collar polka dot top and trousers.. do you think a blazer is necessary?
Awesome, I think I'll stick to the black and white collar polka dot top and trousers.. do you think a blazer is necessary?

Only if you think you might be a bit cold. Other than that what you've described sounds fine!

Probably don’t wear a blazer in the recent warm weather, it’s supposed to be getting hotter!
Original post by cheesecakelove
Probably don’t wear a blazer in the recent warm weather, it’s supposed to be getting hotter!

Only if you think you might be a bit cold. Other than that what you've described sounds fine!

Thank you! I bought the blazer along but didn't wear it so I held it in my arm the whole time. I felt like the 1:1 assessment went better than the group assessment, this one candidate kept saying all the points and, yes I know you have to be loud but she just wouldn't let anyone else talk and if me or the other guy on my table spoke it seemed like we were interrupting her. It did feel like she was basically repeating the same points that me and the other candidate were making, just hope that we were good enough for the assessors! The 1:1 was soo much better, the manager was lovely and she really sorta acknowledged everything I said and kept nodding and saying, 'wow' or, yeah, I totally agree!' I don't really know what to make out of that, but fingers crossed! How soon is it that they let you know? :smile:
Thank you! I bought the blazer along but didn't wear it so I held it in my arm the whole time. I felt like the 1:1 assessment went better than the group assessment, this one candidate kept saying all the points and, yes I know you have to be loud but she just wouldn't let anyone else talk and if me or the other guy on my table spoke it seemed like we were interrupting her. It did feel like she was basically repeating the same points that me and the other candidate were making, just hope that we were good enough for the assessors! The 1:1 was soo much better, the manager was lovely and she really sorta acknowledged everything I said and kept nodding and saying, 'wow' or, yeah, I totally agree!' I don't really know what to make out of that, but fingers crossed! How soon is it that they let you know? :smile:

I imagine they'll let you know by this time next week, it depends on if they have other interviews. Glad to hear it went well!
I imagine they'll let you know by this time next week, it depends on if they have other interviews. Glad to hear it went well!

Ah awesome, thankyou!:smile: I think today was the only main assessment day.. but the role I applied for said various departments and various hours and in my 1:1 the manager didn't ask what hours I was after she only really gave me a sheet to fill out that had the days of the week and then morning, afternoon, evening written on them and she asked me to tick or cross, which days/times I could/couldn't do. I could totally be overthinking it, but what do you think? They did specifically say that they would ask about hours and stuff at the 1:1 but they didn't on this occasion..

It sounds like things went ok. Usually the 1:1 is your time to shine! During group exercises, you should make contributions but you shouldn't over dominate and talk over others (like the candidate you were describing), and what you say needs to be meaningful. If you managed to make good contributions, it should count in your favour. How soon would depend on whether they have seen all of the candidates and the time it takes for them to select the candidate to be employed (did you get any indication as to when you would hear back?) Fingers crossed you get good news!
Ah awesome, thankyou!:smile: I think today was the only main assessment day.. but the role I applied for said various departments and various hours and in my 1:1 the manager didn't ask what hours I was after she only really gave me a sheet to fill out that had the days of the week and then morning, afternoon, evening written on them and she asked me to tick or cross, which days/times I could/couldn't do. I could totally be overthinking it, but what do you think? They did specifically say that they would ask about hours and stuff at the 1:1 but they didn't on this occasion..

It doesn't really indicate an offer or a rejection, they just want to know the availability you have to see if you match what they want
Original post by cheesecakelove
It sounds like things went ok. Usually the 1:1 is your time to shine! During group exercises, you should make contributions but you shouldn't over dominate and talk over others (like the candidate you were describing), and what you say needs to be meaningful. If you managed to make good contributions, it should count in your favour. How soon would depend on whether they have seen all of the candidates and the time it takes for them to select the candidate to be employed (did you get any indication as to when you would hear back?) Fingers crossed you get good news!

Yeah definitely! I think it could have gone a lot worse, but it went better than I thought. I think the worst possible situation would have been freezing and not saying anything! The facilitator on the day said that you'd expect to hear back within 2 weeks, so I suppose 2 weeks is the absolute latest that I'd hear back but he said that usually we are quicker than that but, just a heads up. Thank you so much! :smile:
It doesn't really indicate an offer or a rejection, they just want to know the availability you have to see if you match what they want

Ah okay, because they didn't really specify what hours they wanted but definitely had vacancies for a full-time and part-time selling assistant role. Do you happen to know what the JL uniform is at all?
Ah okay, because they didn't really specify what hours they wanted but definitely had vacancies for a full-time and part-time selling assistant role. Do you happen to know what the JL uniform is at all?

Just from what I've seen staff wearing when I've been in the stores: white blouse/shirt and black trousers/skirt. Could be wrong though as I don't work there!
Just from what I've seen staff wearing when I've been in the stores: white blouse/shirt and black trousers/skirt. Could be wrong though as I don't work there!

Ah yeah, that's what I've seen most staff members wear too. Thank you though!
Good luck- I had mine today- it was actually fun and the one-to-one was really positive. It went much better than I thought :smile:
Original post by captainfuntimes
Good luck- I had mine today- it was actually fun and the one-to-one was really positive. It went much better than I thought :smile:

Thank you! Good luck to you too, glad to hear you had fun doing it! I suppose it is a little less daunting then being in a room with yourself and just the interviewer! :smile:
*Update* Hey guys! Thank you so much to everyone for their advice with interview help, I got the job!! So excited :smile: @DrawTheLine @cheesecakelove

@captainfuntimes - have you heard back yet? I'm sure you've got the job too!! :smile:
Congratulations! Hope all goes well in your new role :h:
*Update* Hey guys! Thank you so much to everyone for their advice with interview help, I got the job!! So excited :smile: @DrawTheLine @cheesecakelove

@captainfuntimes - have you heard back yet? I'm sure you've got the job too!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending