The Student Room Group

Alabama completely loses the plot in pro-life travesty.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Okay123
Whilst yes, she should not have started the argument, she still has emotions and feelings, I havent read the article because I gotta be somewhere soon, but unless she attacked him (which I dont know if she did then it gets a bit more dodgy) he should not have shot her, especially since from the OP's description he aimed for the stomach? Like it was his intention to kill that baby. So sure she could be charged with neglectful parenting at a PUSH, but manslaughter? Give me a break.

if it was the shooters intention, then they should be charged with murder. ,
1. Woman is aggressive/violent leading to getting herself shot when the person defends themself.
2. Her baby dies due to getting shot.
3. Gets charged for manslaughter.

It's a bit strange, but not really that unreasonable, especially for alabama.
Reply 22
Original post by Leviathan1611
she caused the argument and caused the other person to shoot her,

WTF does that even mean?

she could've gotten out of the situation but failed to do so

So your position is that one must always assume that any argument may result in a life-threatening attack?
Someone throws litter? Say nothing because they might shoot you and if they do, it's your own fault!
Reply 23
so do you think in this case, the shooter should be charged with murder?

Attempted murder.
I agree, but the mother should not be charged with anything, again unless she attacked him, if she was just chatting pure sh*t, she had NO way of knowing the dude was gonna shoot her. No matter how bad the sh*t she was chatting was.
if it was the shooters intention, then they should be charged with murder. ,
Reply 25
Original post by DarthRoar
1. Woman is aggressive/violent leading to getting herself shot when the person defends themself.
2. Her baby dies due to getting shot.
3. Gets charged for manslaughter.

It's a bit strange, but not really that unreasonable, especially for alabama.

Not unreasonable? *smh*
Regardless of who started or what the argument was about, no one should get shot over it and the fact this women is being charged with something show what a forsaken hellhole some parts of the US actually is.
Original post by QE2
So your position is that one must always assume that any argument may result in a life-threatening attack?
Someone throws litter? Say nothing because they might shoot you and if they do, it's your own fault!

from what I've read, the shooter shot because of self defense. that's what I meant by "caused the other person to shoot her"

no my position is that if you're in an argument, and you see/know that if the argument continues someone will get hurt and you continue anyway and someone gets killed, it is partly your fault.

for example if you're cussing someone out and they pull out a gun and point the gun at your kid saying "if you don't shut up I'll pull the trigger" but you continue to cuss them out and the kid dies, would you agree that the parent is partly to blame?
Original post by Okay123
I agree, but the mother should not be charged with anything, again unless she attacked him, if she was just chatting pure sh*t, she had NO way of knowing the dude was gonna shoot her. No matter how bad the sh*t she was chatting was.

I also don't think she should be charged with manslaughter
Original post by QE2
Attempted murder.

ah right okay 👍
Oh sad, nvm, from your initial post with the 12 year old I thought you were justifying it.
I also don't think she should be charged with manslaughter
Reply 31
from what I've read, the shooter shot because of self defense. that's what I meant by "caused the other person to shoot her"

no my position is that if you're in an argument, and you see/know that if the argument continues someone will get hurt and you continue anyway and someone gets killed, it is partly your fault.

for example if you're cussing someone out and they pull out a gun and point the gun at your kid saying "if you don't shut up I'll pull the trigger" but you continue to cuss them out and the kid dies, would you agree that the parent is partly to blame?

So when a mugger says "give me your wallet or I'll stab you", if you don't then it's not the mugger's fault if he stabs you.
Original post by QE2
So when a mugger says "give me your wallet or I'll stab you", if you don't then it's not the mugger's fault if he stabs you.

Lol obviously not the muggers fault as you could have avoided it by handing over said wallet :kappa:
Original post by Okay123
Oh sad, nvm, from your initial post with the 12 year old I thought you were justifying it.

it's alright. I'm not really on either side since we don't really know the full story of how the argument started and how she got shot, so I can't really make a conclusion of what should happen.

Lol that parent in your example is in absolutely no way to blame.
This is just the latest in a long line of bizarre actions in the state of Alabama arising from the toxic trio of abusive legislation, dogmatically biased justice system and sinister religious ideologues with virulently medievalist authoritarian attitudes they are desperate to impose on everyone in the state.
Friends of both genders that live in Alabama and are supportive of the charges against Marshae Jones have been making some very derogatory comments about her marital status and ethnic background.
They all have openly embraced 'bible belt'/aggressive anti-abortion/sexual abstinence until marriage attitudes that would have been the norm in the time of the puritans.
Utterly horrifying.

"Those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it".
The inevitable consequence of fanatical religious hardliners gaining enough political power to dominate the state's executive, legislative and judicial branches.
Medieval religion with enforced compliance, filthy politics and show trials rearing their ugly heads in twenty first century america.
Original post by QE2

I don't think so since I wasn't the one who started it.
Original post by Guru Jason

if they had stopped talking, the child could have lived though. but okay
Original post by Guru Jason

Actually, in that example how the hell is the parent totally clear of blame? An altercation occurs and the child is put in a position where their life is threatened. The parent is presented with a clear choice here, they could discontinue the altercation in order to protect the child, but continues for the sake of it and as a result the child is shot and killed. Whilst clearly the shooter is guilty of murder, how could you argue that the blame is entirely on the one party? The parent has clearly neglected the child when they have a bloody gun to their head, and continued to fight and as a result failed to protect their child. There was a choice, they failed to make the right choice, and the child was killed as a result of that choice.
if they had stopped talking, the child could have lived though. but okay

This is the biggest load of victim blaming BS I have ever heard. By your logic I could kill people while robbing a bank or shoot a politician and get a way with it, you know, so long as I give them enough warning right?

Quick Reply