The Student Room Group

Smart Formal

Do you count Jeans as smart casual?

I'm going on a Headstart course and the dress code is smart casual. Can i wear jeans?

Also who came up with smart casual as a fashion category- everyone is going to have a different opinion on what SC is!?!

Edit: I am tired and ill. anytime i have written smart formal, I actually meant smart casual- sorry for any confusion
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
I’d say no to jeans. But that’s just my opinion of SF.

Edit: well depends what jeans 🤔
(edited 4 years ago)
Jeans are only just okay for smart casual. I've never heard of smart formal but I definitely wouldn't think jeans would be acceptable. You could maybe get away with them if the rest of your outfit was entirely smart.
Original post by _WOLF_
I’d say no to jeans. But that’s just my opinion of SF.

Edit: well depends what jeans 🤔

could you recommend me some trousers to wear instead of jeans?

i have grey, blue and pink skinny jeans. None have rips. would you say they re more casual than sMart casual
Original post by OneStudyataTime

i have grey, blue and pink skinny jeans. None have rips. would you say they re more casual than sMart casual

If you're going to wear jeans, they should be black and not skinny. Chinos are always a good bet for most dress codes that are at least somewhat casual.
Reply 5

Depends what ur wearing over all. If the top is smart the, grey jeans may be okay but idk. Definitely stay away from blue and pink!

As for trousers then, just any typical black or what ever colour suits you, will do.
Original post by morningstar461
If you're going to wear jeans, they should be black and not skinny. Chinos are always a good bet for most dress codes that are at least somewhat casual.

Thank you for the advice! 😊
Original post by _WOLF_
Depends what ur wearing over all. If the top is smart the, grey jeans may be okay but idk. Definitely stay away from blue and pink!

As for trousers then, just any typical black or what ever colour suits you, will do.

Thank you for the advice! 😊
Reply 8
I would go with navy trousers or black to start with.
Which course are you going on?
Jeans can work for smart casual providing the top you wear is quite smart and nice
Also any of those colours could work, depending on the shade and top you choose
Original post by ProperLad
Which course are you going on?

physics at Lancaster, what about you?
Do you count Jeans as smart casual?

I'm going on a Headstart course and the dress code is smart casual. Can i wear jeans?

Also who came up with smart casual as a fashion category- everyone is going to have a different opinion on what SC is!?!

Edit: I am tired and ill. anytime i have written smart formal, I actually meant smart casual- sorry for any confusion

Smart casual for a man just means shoes or boots with dark jeans and a shirt with a blazer or skinny tie.

For a woman go with shoes, dark jeans and a blouse.

Quick Reply

Latest