The Student Room Group

Haven’t driven in a year. Mistake to rent a car for long journey?

Hello,

I need to pick something up. It’s large and costs a lot of money. I don’t have anyone who can pick it up for me. It is located about 3 hours from me.

I was thinking about renting a car however I have not driven in 13 months. I am (was?) a competent driver passing first time with no minors. I was thinking of renting an automatic car and driving up to get it myself.

Do you think this is a bad idea? I personally think I would be okay and have located a route that avoids motorways and is only half an hour longer, but I want some outside opinions.

Thank you for your advice.
Reply 1
Did you pass in an automatic? Is it possible to get a bit of practise with someone you trust prior to the journey? Aren't the delivery charges cheaper than renting a car?
Reply 2
Hi, thanks for your reply. I passed in a manual but have driven automatics and find them much easier, no worries about clutch control etc.

I can’t get it delivered as it’s too expensive and fragile. No car to practice on as my parents cars are leases from their work and I can’t be put on the insurance. Also none of my friends have cars I can practice with.
Original post by Davy611
Did you pass in an automatic? Is it possible to get a bit of practise with someone you trust prior to the journey? Aren't the delivery charges cheaper than renting a car?
Reply 3
Ah. Well, if it's the only option then you're going to have to go for it. The only other thing I can think of is a single lesson refresher with a friendly driving instructor. I'm sure they're familiar with the type of situation you describe. Best of luck and be careful.
Reply 4
As long as you are old enough to rent, sure why not?
Sounds like you don’t have any choice anyway. Just take it easy.
Take someone with you if you can as it's one less thing to think about if they do the directions. And take lots of breaks. You're new to driving again so even 1-1.5 hours is gonna feel long and tiring.
Reply 7
Original post by Josh279
As long as you are old enough to rent, sure why not?

Original post by Admit-One
Sounds like you don’t have any choice anyway. Just take it easy.

Original post by doodle_333
Take someone with you if you can as it's one less thing to think about if they do the directions. And take lots of breaks. You're new to driving again so even 1-1.5 hours is gonna feel long and tiring.

Thank you all for your advice. I came up with something of a solution. I’ve just joined a local car club and am able to rent a car right away for an hour or so to get a little practice before setting out on Monday.

Hopefully I’m not too rusty!
Reply 8
Excellent. Very sensible.
Original post by PizzaSlice
Thank you all for your advice. I came up with something of a solution. I’ve just joined a local car club and am able to rent a car right away for an hour or so to get a little practice before setting out on Monday.

Hopefully I’m not too rusty!

Great idea. At the least you'll know a bit better if you feel up to the drive or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending