The Student Room Group

GCSE options

Hi, I'm in year 9 and I've been really confused lately so I've decided to ask for advice. For my GCSE Options, I had chosen RS. Business studies, History and French. I've never done business studies before and in my end of year exams, I did quite well in both my Spanish and French exams. My Spanish teacher has been pestering me for ages that I should have done both languages because he knows I'm good at both and my French teacher agrees. So I decided to swap business studies for Spanish, so I'm nos doing both languages. My languages teachers think I will be able to do it but I just want to know how difficult two languages are and if I should have chosen business studies or not. (I can change my options again now or at the start of year 10, some advice would be really helpful though :smile: )
Hi ,I am doing both Spanish and French and I am in year 9 too-shouldn't be too hard if you enjoy it :smile:
Original post by Lost in a Flash
Hi, I'm in year 9 and I've been really confused lately so I've decided to ask for advice. For my GCSE Options, I had chosen RS. Business studies, History and French. I've never done business studies before and in my end of year exams, I did quite well in both my Spanish and French exams. My Spanish teacher has been pestering me for ages that I should have done both languages because he knows I'm good at both and my French teacher agrees. So I decided to swap business studies for Spanish, so I'm nos doing both languages. My languages teachers think I will be able to do it but I just want to know how difficult two languages are and if I should have chosen business studies or not. (I can change my options again now or at the start of year 10, some advice would be really helpful though :smile: )
Reply 2
i haven't personally done two languages, but a lot of people in my year did (i just finished my gcse's). if it's something you're passionate about and are good at and are willing to do, then it can be great. if you don't have an interest in languages, though, that could create some issues. it's a personal choice really, but don't just do something because you're good at it now because without interest it's difficult to succeed in a subject.
Both languages are really similar in terms of courses. Tbh I think business would be more useful, unless you would need the language in the future or you want to pursue them further. But you can always do the course externally and take the GCSE, or even just learn it in your own time. I was in the same position as you, but I chose to pursue French as Spanish was easier for me to learn by myself or with a tutor if I decided to pick it up again
Thanks! Also, I do not need to have done GCSE business studies to do it at a level so that also lead me to choose both languages
Original post by Lost in a Flash
Thanks for the advice! Some people have also pointed out to me that in my school you don't need to have done GCSE business studies if I want to do it later at A level :smile:

Original post by SlightlySummer
Both languages are really similar in terms of courses. Tbh I think business would be more useful, unless you would need the language in the future or you want to pursue them further. But you can always do the course externally and take the GCSE, or even just learn it in your own time. I was in the same position as you, but I chose to pursue French as Spanish was easier for me to learn by myself or with a tutor if I decided to pick it up again
Thanks :smile: because I've been getting mixed advice and that has confused me
Original post by Ivanita-Ariana
Hi ,I am doing both Spanish and French and I am in year 9 too-shouldn't be too hard if you enjoy it :smile:
Thanks, I am interested in both so I think I'll be fine :smile:
Original post by yaire
i haven't personally done two languages, but a lot of people in my year did (i just finished my gcse's). if it's something you're passionate about and are good at and are willing to do, then it can be great. if you don't have an interest in languages, though, that could create some issues. it's a personal choice really, but don't just do something because you're good at it now because without interest it's difficult to succeed in a subject.
I think taking different courses would be an advantage in terms of your options later on for a levels, what do you plan on choosing for a levels ?
For A levels I think I'll definitely choose a science (probably chemistry). I might choose Biology but right now I'm not sure if I should go into medicine. I'm not sure if I will choose a language or not. I dont think I'm going to want a job in business so I'm not sure. I do also enjoy and am good at English so that might be a possible option as well. Thanks :smile:
Original post by Ahmedshabah1
I think taking different courses would be an advantage in terms of your options later on for a levels, what do you plan on choosing for a levels ?

Quick Reply

Latest