The Student Room Group

gp and mental health

i finally gathered the courage about 2 months ago to tell my gp about my mental health problems. i told her a few of my problems and she diagnosed me with anxiety and depression. but she basically told me since im 17 theres nothing she can do about it and i just have to deal with it as i "have been all these years". everytime i remember it, i just start crying and honestly i feel like im in a worse place because i went to seek help and a health "professional" told me that i have no options. before i never thought of death because the option to get help was always there but it isn't (atleast for now) and i dont see myself going back to her when im 18 (because of how quickly she dismissed me). clearly i'm not dealing with it well... does anyone have any advice.
Reply 1
There are options. Go back and see a different GP as for a therapy referral.
Reply 2
Go to a diffrent GP, see a therapist and get anti-depressants
visit the talking space website. Have a browse, you can refer yourself. They'll call you 48 hrs after you've submitted your referral. they'll arrange a 30min appointment with you. During the appointment you'll talk about your feelings and you'll discuss a suitable treatment plan. But tbh that GP is crap!!!! there is so much out there!! please just do your research there is support 100%. Suicide is not an option, you'll so regret it. Hope this helps xx
Original post by Anonymous
i finally gathered the courage about 2 months ago to tell my gp about my mental health problems. i told her a few of my problems and she diagnosed me with anxiety and depression. but she basically told me since im 17 theres nothing she can do about it and i just have to deal with it as i "have been all these years". everytime i remember it, i just start crying and honestly i feel like im in a worse place because i went to seek help and a health "professional" told me that i have no options. before i never thought of death because the option to get help was always there but it isn't (atleast for now) and i dont see myself going back to her when im 18 (because of how quickly she dismissed me). clearly i'm not dealing with it well... does anyone have any advice.

The only person who can really help you is yourself I suffered it at a younger age but I made it through alone nobody listened to me and people only laughed if I told them so I went through it alone and soon realised depression is just a phase it won’t last forever no matter how long you’ve been going through it
Reply 5
thank you so much. i haven’t heard of that website but i’ll definitely check it out.
Original post by Ameilah M.
visit the talking space website. Have a browse, you can refer yourself. They'll call you 48 hrs after you've submitted your referral. they'll arrange a 30min appointment with you. During the appointment you'll talk about your feelings and you'll discuss a suitable treatment plan. But tbh that GP is crap!!!! there is so much out there!! please just do your research there is support 100%. Suicide is not an option, you'll so regret it. Hope this helps xx
Reply 6
you’re an insensitive *****
Original post by Anonymous
The only person who can really help you is yourself I suffered it at a younger age but I made it through alone nobody listened to me and people only laughed if I told them so I went through it alone and soon realised depression is just a phase it won’t last forever no matter how long you’ve been going through it

Quick Reply

Latest