The Student Room Group

Retaking A levels/GCSE : Gap year

Hi,

So I've just finished my alevels (chem, bio, RS) but don't think I've done too well. I'm wanting to do biomed at Birmingham (and hopefully study medicine at graduate) but won't be able to get in due to my 5/C in GCSE maths. Annoyingly, I didn't know I could retake my GCSE's if I didnt "fail" them. Biomed requires me to have at least a 6/B in GCSE maths. However I'm concerned as I've already finished my a levels (which I'm certain I'm going to have to retake 2 of). Is it too late for me to retake GCSE maths?*Any advice/ websites/ online tutors you can reccomend?

Thanks.
na do it if u want!

mathsgenie is <3 if u want to get higher marks focus on the grade 7/8/9 topics.

hmmm also mathswatch is good
(edited 4 years ago)
also to help with exam nerves: remember that the questions are supposed to be encouraging, not to purposely trip u up
final tip: focus on the beginning of the paper. easiest questions are here. the final questions are super hard, defo never start from the back
Reply 4
Original post by anonymoussse
na do it if u want!

mathsgenie is <3 if u want to get higher marks focus on the grade 7/8/9 topics.

hmmm also mathswatch is good

Thanks I appreciate the advice, hwo would i go about retaking? do I approach my college?
yes college and other colleges too...ive never retaken but i think that's how it wroks
Original post by Marjobon
Thanks I appreciate the advice, hwo would i go about retaking? do I approach my college?
Reply 6
Original post by anonymoussse
yes college and other colleges too...ive never retaken but i think that's how it wroks

Thank you so much for your help and for answering so quickly, I thought I wouldve had to wait for a while Haha. I appreciate it .
Out of curiosity what did you get for A Levels.
Reply 8
EDC (bio,chem, RS)
EDC (bio,chem, RS)

I’m in a similar boat, I got BCD (English lit, biology, chemistry) and want to go to medicine. I can’t apply for Medicine directly (you need BBB minimum first time round) so I was also thinking of biomedical sciences and try to get in after the first year, if not, then I’ll apply for graduate entry. I didn’t apply to an universities last year cause I had **** predicted grades and wanted to wait for my actual results, so now that plan has gone to ****. This is actually my first time applying for Uni’s and I have no idea how to go about it. I’m obviously retaking chem and bio but now I have to do applications and work experience on top of that. I think you can definitely do the GCSE’s easily, and since you have gone through A Levels the GCSE’s will now be a walk in the park.
Reply 10
Thank you! however I'm no longer retaking my gcses or a-levels. By some miracle I've made it to uni through clearing and will be studying biomed in Hull this year. I plan to still pursue medicine. Good luck in your journey to medicine, you're gonna ace those exams. Are u trying for immediate or graduate entry?
Thank you! however I'm no longer retaking my gcses or a-levels. By some miracle I've made it to uni through clearing and will be studying biomed in Hull this year. I plan to still pursue medicine. Good luck in your journey to medicine, you're gonna ace those exams. Are u trying for immediate or graduate entry?

Nah that makes me annoyed I should have gone through clearing, but I didn’t know what I wanted to do at the time, so when I decided I wanted to do medicine it was too late. From everywhere I see I won’t be able to apply for immediate entry, so I was looking through all the options and right now I think biomed seems best. I heard that if you try through first year to medicine it’s super competitive, but I’ll want to try. I guess now it’s just super depressing knowing all of my friends are going to uni and I’m retaking so it’s the same recycled content, so you are very lucky I truly do wish now that I was smart enough to go on clearing. And I better ace those exams, cause I heard that for some graduate entry schemes there are requirements for A Levels, needless to say I don’t think that BCD will suffice. You going to study for just the one year or the whole three years?
Reply 12
Ik it seems properly frustrating with friends going off to uni n staying behind, but it will be for the best, as a whole a year isn't that long. Tbh I got really lucky with clearing, I'm pretty sure you're grades are better than mine so it's all about hard work. The way I see it, it's better to have the 'uni experience', and take time to nature first before tackling medicine, given how competitive and rigorous it is. I'm doing the full 4 years, with the Hope's of attaining a 1st, doing work experience n volunteering then trying for GEM. I've had a look at graduate entries and I think most if them dont even look at aleve, they just want a min of 2:1
Ik it seems properly frustrating with friends going off to uni n staying behind, but it will be for the best, as a whole a year isn't that long. Tbh I got really lucky with clearing, I'm pretty sure you're grades are better than mine so it's all about hard work. The way I see it, it's better to have the 'uni experience', and take time to nature first before tackling medicine, given how competitive and rigorous it is. I'm doing the full 4 years, with the Hope's of attaining a 1st, doing work experience n volunteering then trying for GEM. I've had a look at graduate entries and I think most if them dont even look at aleve, they just want a min of 2:1

So you just want to enjoy yourself in this one so you can put your head down and study for medicine?
Reply 14
somewhat, it's also to give myself the time I need to mature and develop into an effective independent student. Based on my A-levels I'm gonna need a 1st to have any chance at all Haha
somewhat, it's also to give myself the time I need to mature and develop into an effective independent student. Based on my A-levels I'm gonna need a 1st to have any chance at all Haha

Good luck then
Reply 16
thanks, you too

Quick Reply

Latest